Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Synapse 19 packing list for summer dayhikes

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOBaggirl View Post
    Darcy, if you want to take your DSLR and your S19, you can put your camera+ lenses into a Crumpler Haven, then drop that into the Synapse. It's just the inside parts of a camera bag without the padded bag part around it. I too, am super interested in the almond butter recipe. Sounds like a good snack for long haul flights as well.
    Thanks for the tip! Honestly, if I'm carrying my DSLR in the S19, I just pack the S19 in such a way (depending on the lenses) that there's a little space at the top for the camera to sit on top of something like a jacket or Stuff Sacks of clothes. I've carried my DSLR this way in various packs for years and (knock on wood) nothing bad has ever happened to it yet. Plus, this way it's easily (and quickly -- very important when photographing outdoors!) accessible and it saves me the weight of a camera insert.

Same thing with the Smart Alec. If I'm carrying a couple of lenses, I usually go with the Smart Alec (or, lately, one of the new prototype packs we're testing.)

If I'm going on a hike/outing that's mostly about photography and and I need to take a lot of camera gear, I'll go with the Brain Bag + Camera I-O.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

Same thing with the Smart Alec. If I'm carrying a couple of lenses, I usually go with the Smart Alec (or, lately, one of the new prototype packs we're testing.)
    Care to elaborate on these so called prototypes? If your ever looking for a tester 😉. I work for Geek Squad on site services and use my synapse 25 almost everyday for field work.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    Care to elaborate on these so called prototypes? If your ever looking for a tester ��. I work for Geek Squad on site services and use my synapse 25 almost everyday for field work.
    Can't elaborate... except that they are amazing. Does that help? Probably not.
    earth5 likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    TOBaggirl...it arrived today, but it may be going back. First the good news...it appears to be durable, the interior dividers are easily reconfigured, and it is well padded. The little mesh exterior pockets are also a plus. Unfortunately, I am spoiled by the well thought out TB straps, attachment points, and Tardy factor. The Crumpler Haven "Small" takes up quite a bit of space...it fits inside the medium cafe bag, with very little space left over. It does fit in the Synapse19 main compartment, with some room left..but not in any of the other compartments. The real kicker is that there is no way to attach a shoulder strap or a waist strap to it, so it must always occupy space inside something else. This also means access is at least a 2 step process. If you are looking for camera protection and aren't concerned about stand alone portability, this may work for you. In my opinion, TB has spoiled me...I need a portable high function case that looks good and adds joy to my travels. :-)
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I've been using my Lowepro Nova 160AW but I don't need all the carry straps and extra paddding so I'm still going to look into the Crumpler. I've just received my Synpase 19 so I like the idea of not having a big ole camera bag anymore. But, Lowepro does makes a great camera bag, lots of pockets, and I think the 160 is the perfect size. Not too big, not too small- but I don't like the look of a tradional camera bag. Or maybe I'm just sick of looking at it. I've been lugging them around for close to 20yrs! Currently I just have 1 main lens on the body, a 50mm in the right pocket, my Canon S100 P&S in the left, camera plopped on top and away I go. Hope you can find something more suitable for your needs. Here are some photos I took incase you wanted to see the bag. Sorry for all the plants. Its raining here, and there's next to no light in my place except in that one window.Name:  bag1.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  106.4 KBName:  bag2.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  106.8 KBName:  bag3.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  108.4 KB

TOBaggirl-Thanks for the photos. I actually have a traditional style camera bag that is a good fit for the camera, extra lens, and accessories. I am still hoping to find some sort of compact padding that can easily be tucked away inside my EDC or travel bag. Good luck with your quest.:-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Sure... let me work on a recipe post. It's tasty stuff. BTW: if you take it on a hike with you, I'd recommend storing it in a Nalgene PC jar.
    Not sure if I missed this somewhere else, but I would still be interested in your recipes for this and the Peanut Butter/Cocoa/Date/Coconut energy balls. No pressure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanisol View Post
    Not sure if I missed this somewhere else, but I would still be interested in your recipes for this and the Peanut Butter/Cocoa/Date/Coconut energy balls. No pressure though.
    I'll work on this sometime soon! I've been making cookies lately too -- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cherry. Maybe not quite as healthy as the energy balls but tasty and I do use less sugar than usually called for in cookies.

I recently went on a 10 mile hike that ended up being a 17 mile hike. (The extra miles got me to a waterfall and then a lake -- totally worth it.) Really highlighted how important it is to have a solid packing list and bring enough extra food and stuff "just in case". I would've hated to have to turn around just because I wasn't prepared to go as far as I wanted. And the Synapse 19 is still proving itself as my trusty summer day hiking companion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0