Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Warm Weather Update to my Synapse 19 Packing List (Video)

Warm Weather Update to my Synapse 19 Packing List (Video)

My Synapse is still my perfect one bag for travel but my gear has changed a bit since I posted my original packing list. I wanted to share my updated list and I was inspired by the latest Tom Bihn videos to make it a video version. So I enlisted a videographer (my sister) and here it is!

Disclaimers:
    • This list isnít absolute -- I add/substract things depending on where Iím going.
    • I snuck a Side Effect in there because I missed having a purse. It doubles as a packing/snack cube!
    • Please be careful when packing glass jars. My jar has actually spent more time outside my bag than in it so far. Iím thinking I should get some kind of protection for it before I bounce it around in there.

Also, whenever Iím researching gear, I search these Forums for suggestions because I know everyone here recommends good stuff. So thank you!
    美国制造
    offtheblueprint.com -- An online magazine about living unconventionally

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    WOW firewatch, I'm so impressed, thank you for sharing, your video was a pleasure to watch!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Awesome. Always inspiring to watch these.

Do you use the glass jar for your drinking water? If so, why a glass jar. You have me curious. Wonderful video.

Eire

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    @Eire, I am thinking of SOOOO many colorful responses:

No, that's my portable facilities. I like to travel light.
    It's moonshine!
    The seal and ring brings out the flavors and filters unwanted tastes in my water.
    I find that since I have such efficient packing methods, I can wash my entire summer wardrobe in a simple mason jar, here's the link to how I do it!
    This is a present I'm taking on my next trip, my friends can't get enough New York water.
    As part of my emergency preparedness I keep this jar of water. It's what I can carry, I'm fairly certain I can find the rest I need once I get where I'm going.
    I have canned this water, that's the only water I will drink, home canned water.
    I'm allergic to plastic and afraid of stainless steel and aluminum. I mean it's a real phobia for me.
    I carry glass as an experiment to see how many days I can go without breaking my glass. I'm up to day 57 and counting!
    I feel cool when I carry a mason jar for my water. It centers me in my roots, grandma putting up stores for the winter. . . .

Erie, I don't know why firewatch carries her beverage in a mason jar, I think they seal well and are rather handy and easily available. I love Cuppow! and have decided to break down and buy some for my drinking jars, though I wouldn't use them in my Synapse.
    Personally, I also use mason jars for my liquids quite frequently, especially my smoothies. I think the wide mouth jars are much easier to clean than any water bottle I own. I prefer the taste of beverages from glass over any other containment that I can think of besides ceramic. I also like how they feel to hold in my hands. I'm sure she will post her real reasons why, when she gets around to it.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Dorayme you should go pro. . I particularly like the first reason. That would throw the TSA for a loop.

Very funny.

Eire

Haha! I like Dorayme's reasons better, but I basically got tired of wonky bottle caps and I like that I can see what I'm drinking and can clean it easily.

Although maybe I should start doing my laundry in it, they certainly don't flop over like the plastic bags I've been using...
    美国制造
    offtheblueprint.com -- An online magazine about living unconventionally

Awesome video! I am sold! I am buying my Synapse next month for my birthday. Too bad I did not have it with me for my recent trip to Iceland, but I will try the light packing for my upcoming trip to the Maya Riviera. You've shown some great ideas! Happy music, too!

Where did you go in Iceland? My avatar is me with synapse at thingvellir.

I was there! We went around the Reykjanes peninsula, stayed at Reykjavik for a couple of nights, went to Borgarnes to learn about the settlement and Egil's Saga, the Golden Circle, Selfoss, all the way to Vik, we stayed a night at Vestmannaeyjar and saw hundreds of puffins, hiked up SůlheimajŲkull glacier. Such a short trip for such an awesome country! So we're already planning our return. We have a couple of trips already planned, but we may be back in 2015. It's so close to here on a direct flight! Next time I will bring my Synapse.

Wow during your video, I kept saying .,she's running out if room.. Wop..see she's out of room.. And you kept going!

I think I might be able to pull off one week in kauai with just the 19

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass25 View Post
    I think I might be able to pull off one week in kauai with just the 19
    My dad's from Kauai and I go there somewhat regularly. If you don't need to pack a full-size beach towel, then you can definitely get away with using a 19. If I was going for just one week, here's what I'd bring: 1x normal shorts (wear on the plane), 1x board shorts (necessity even if you're a lady since they work well as a butt cover when you go from the beach into town), swimsuit and/or water shirt (sun can get fierce), 3-4 T-shirts or tank tops, undergarments, a light hoodie for the plane and for air-conditioned environments, and maybe a dress if you're going to a nice dinner. Bring mini toiletries and hit an ABC store for a full-size sunscreen when you arrive. If you need to, you can buy a hat and slippers (flip flops) on the island. Hawaii is super casual so let that work to your advantage so you can enjoy light packing. I'd also suggest bringing a stuff sack so you can stick your wet swimsuit in there before you go to the airport

@Badger Your list sounds divine. Now I want to go.

If you can't borrow/rent/buy a towel, a sarong is another option. It doubles as a cover-up, a dress, a sleep sheet, etc. I stopped packing mine because I sadly haven't been anywhere tropical in a while. Other towel options I've seen are the PackTowl, REI's MultiTowel, and Outlier's new Grid Linen Towel: OUTLIER Grid Linen Towel

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    My dad's from Kauai and I go there somewhat regularly. If you don't need to pack a full-size beach towel, then you can definitely get away with using a 19. If I was going for just one week, here's what I'd bring: 1x normal shorts (wear on the plane), 1x board shorts (necessity even if you're a lady since they work well as a butt cover when you go from the beach into town), swimsuit and/or water shirt (sun can get fierce), 3-4 T-shirts or tank tops, undergarments, a light hoodie for the plane and for air-conditioned environments, and maybe a dress if you're going to a nice dinner. Bring mini toiletries and hit an ABC store for a full-size sunscreen when you arrive. If you need to, you can buy a hat and slippers (flip flops) on the island. Hawaii is super casual so let that work to your advantage so you can enjoy light packing. I'd also suggest bringing a stuff sack so you can stick your wet swimsuit in there before you go to the airport
    Thank you so much for the info! It's crazy the things you've mentioned is almost the exact approach I will be taking! And yes the full size beach towel I will be putting in my wife's luggage. Other than that here is what I have planned on bringing, along with a diagram of where it is going:

Bottom pocket:

3d clear organizer case:
    Anything electronic related = chargers, usb, batteries, camera etc

Small mesh pouch:
    First aid kit (never leaves my pack no matter what)

Mini clear pouch: iPhone charger for quick access

Side pocket left and right: open. Maybe for souvenirs

Bottom middle pocket:
    Mini Cordura pouch: wallet items:
    Cards, tickets etc

Top middle pocket:
    Size 3 stuff sack: minimalist new balance hiking shoes. Great for getting wet

Main compartment:
    Medium Tristar packing cube:
    4 shirts (two wife beater type and two t shirts)
    2 button Hawaiian style shirt (dressy dinner occasions)
    No jeans no shorts other than what I will be wearing heading there. Also a thin jacket and flip flops that I will be wearing heading there.

Small Tristar packing cube:
    2 beach shorts (one dries while the other one is being used)
    1 water shirt

Size 2 stuff sack:
    Underwear

3d clear organizer:
    Toiletries !

Travel tray will be in the sleeve in the main compartment and will be used to out my crap in when I'm in the hotel.

What do you think?!

Forgot to post the diagram!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371270800.379767.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  104.5 KB
    The organizers in green means I haven't bought it yet lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0