Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree24Likes
  • 5 Post By JLE
  • 1 Post By ceb
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 3 Post By JLE
  • 6 Post By JLE
  • 7 Post By JLE
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip

Thread: The Imago discovers Bhutan (well, later this week, anyway)!

JLE

The Imago discovers Bhutan (well, later this week, anyway)!

So, finally, my long-anticipated trip to Bhutan begins TOMORROW! Well, first it's Bangkok for two days, then Bhutan.

I had intended to take my Aeronaut but a shoulder injury that just won't go away has, unfortunately, ended that plan. Instead I am taking a *cough* MLC soft sided wheeled bag *cough*. (It's a Lipault two-wheeler, in case anyone is interested.)

But on the plus side, that non-TB bag is packed to the gills with TB accessories!

And most importantly, I am taking my Imago (with Absolute strap) as my day bag.

I can't post pics on this device (they will follow after my return), but here's an overview of the contents of each bag:

1. "Proxy Aeronaut" (OK, OK it's not TB but I WISH it were because Tom would have MUCH better wheels and zips if he made wheeled bags...)

Large WF packing cube containing clothes for 11 days (I am pretty proud of this as I have had to pack for a temperature range from 0 - 30 degrees Celsius)
    Small WF packing cube containing sleepwear, thermals and unmentionables
    Dyneema 3D cube (Iberian) containing "dry" toiletries
    Dyneema 3D cube (Wasabi) containing meds and first aid (more than I would usually take, including some "just in case" meds out of an abundance of caution)
    Clear 3D cube (Azalea) containing miscellaneous useful items like spare shoelaces etc
    Shoes (including silver walking shoes - @backpack, keep the faith! - one pair of dressy sandals and one pair of flat sandals),
    Flat evening purse containing one dressy necklace
    Mini straightening irons, hairbrush, makeup
    Lightweight down anorak in an outer pocket for easy access
    Large travel stuff sack (Wasabi) - empty, just in case
    Small dyneema OP - empty, ditto

2. Imago

Medium dyneema OP (Wasabi) tethered with key strap, containing wallet, diary, pens etc
    RFID pouch, tethered, with passport and some credit cards
    Small dyneema OP containing miscellaneous things that might come in handy (torch, airline safe multitool, tissues, wipes etc)
    A5 envelope containing printouts of travel docs
    Mesh 3D cube (Olive) containing cables, chargers, adaptors, earbuds
    IPad mini in cache
    Cashmere shawl, does duty as plane blanket, shawl in the evening and scarf for day
    Sunglasses, reading glasses
    Keys on key strap (tethered)
    Jambox in front interior pocket
    IPhone
    3-1-1 bag

Can't wait to hit the road!
    Last edited by JLE; 03-18-2013 at 01:33 AM.

ceb
    This brings up a good point. How about a TB rolling cart that attaches to the backpack strap pocket of the WF/TS/Aeronaut. Light weight, indestructible and somehow attaches to the bags when they are used as backpacks or over-the-shoulder bags.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    This brings up a good point. How about a TB rolling cart that attaches to the backpack strap pocket of the WF/TS/Aeronaut. Light weight, indestructible and somehow attaches to the bags when they are used as backpacks or over-the-shoulder bags.
    Good luck with that one, ceb!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    So, finally, my long-anticipated trip to Bhutan begins TOMORROW! Well, first it's Bangkok for two days, then Bhutan.
    Exciting!! Bhutan! I'd love to go there someday. Hope you take lots of photos.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

JLE
    So, I'm back from Bhutan! Will post some pics as soon as I get organised. What an amazing trip.

But since this is the Packing List forum, I thought I would do a mini-debrief on what I took.

1. I think I was possibly the only visitor in Bhutan who was travelling just with carry on luggage. I have to say that all those enormous rolling suitcases looked completely out of place in the Himalayas! My travelling companions (including an old law school buddy) are the heaviest-packing travellers I have ever travelled with. One of them took two large check-in suitcases, a carry on sized duffel and a small messenger bag! . But when the rubber hit the road, I was the one who was the most prepared for every contingency and more than once they expressed amazement at how much I seemed to have fit into my bag. Lesson 1: the mix'n'match approach to wardrobe planning befuddles your travel companions so they think you have brought far more clothes than you actually have!

2. When you have risen at 2.30 am to go to the festival at Paro to see the pre-dawn unfurling of the Thangka, it is very handy to be able to whip your mini LED torch out of your Imago to light the uneven stony path leading to the square. Yes, I had a torch but my friends didn't...

3. It is also handy to have your multi-tool on a TB key strap in your Imago for day trips where the guide forgets a bottle opener. My friend couldn't decide whether to be admiring of my packing prowess on this one, or appalled that he was travelling with such a Packing Nerd, but given I was able to get the crown closure off his apple juice for him he wisely opted for the former!

4. We had significant temperature variation during our trip. Mornings were freezing in some valleys, whereas valleys at lower altitude were sunny and very warm. Light layers were more than adequate. I took thermal underwear but found my external thermal layers were more convenient because of the necessity to take layers off as the temperature rose. For really cold mornings I wore my thermal Patagonia hoodie under a lightweight down anorak and was as warm as toast!

5. The test of one's packing list is whether things return home unused. I am happy to report that everything was used except the meds and first aid kit, which is exactly as it should be!

JLE

Bhutan - the pics!

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain. We are about to commence our descent into Paro International Airport. For those of you who haven't been to Paro before, you are about to see mountains closer than you have ever seen them before, but do not worry, it is standard procedure!"

What an introduction to Bhutan that landing was! The airport lies in a narrow valley and the plane banked steeply some five or six times as it navigated the final approach between the steep hills on either side of the valley.

So, here are some shots of Bhutan. I should apologise for the image quality. First, I was using an iPhone. And secondly, I am a craptastic photographer!

First, the obligatory "my Imago was here" shot! Taken on the banks of the river in the Punakha valley:

Name:  Imago.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  141.6 KB

Tiger's Nest, possibly the most famous dzong (monastery) in Bhutan. It clings to a rocky mountain side at about 3100m elevation, some 900m above the valley floor. The climb to it takes 2 hours:

Name:  Tigers Nest.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  80.8 KB

The largest and most important dzong in Bhutan, at Punakha. This is where the kings are crowned and the current king was married in 2011:

Name:  Punakha dzong.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  105.9 KB

The lodge where I stayed at Punakha. The main building is a restored farmhouse. This architecture is typical of the country:

Name:  Punakha lodge 2.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  99.8 KB

The terrace at the Punakha lodge. This was a great place to enjoy a leisurely local Red Panda beer in the afternoon sun!

Name:  Punakha lodge.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  146.8 KB

More to follow....

JLE
    The mountain pass between the Thimphu and Punakha valleys. We were lucky to have a clear day, and could see all the highest peaks of the Bhutanese Himalayas:

Name:  Pass.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  107.5 KB Name:  Pass 2.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  109.5 KB

The climax of the festival at Paro, the unfurling of the Thongdrol of Guru Rinpoche, which is a huge silk thangkha (appliqué painting). It is unfurled before dawn and then folded away again in the early morning, before the sun's rays hit it:

Name:  Thangka2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  81.3 KB Name:  Thangka.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  116.7 KB

At the Paro festival:

Name:  Paro festival.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  117.3 KB

If you have the chance to visit Bhutan, I highly recommend it!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    A fabulous trip, great photos
    Walker likes this.

fantastic pictures and looks amazing. Did you go on your own or with a travel group? would you mind sharing the link for the lodge? I would love to explore this a bit more...

Very cool, @JLE. My Aeronaut and I are jealous! Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful post on packing and your photos are much appreciated. It looks like a beauitful place to visit.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Very cool, @JLE. My Aeronaut and I are jealous! Thanks for sharing.
    My Aeronaut is jealous that it missed out on the trip too! It would have been the ideal bag but for my current shoulder problem.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0