• 1 Post By Shiva
  • 1 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By MaggieScratch
  • 2 Post By JLE
  • 2 Post By Lani

Thread: Three Day Conference with a Synapse and MCB

nsh

Three Day Conference with a Synapse and MCB

I am headed to a three day academic conference in the Northeast tomorrow. I will travel by car. Despite the lack of carry on regulations, I still like to keep it minimal. There is a chance I might bring along a bag of workout gear (in case of some nice running trails in the early AM, but there are predictions for cold rain over the weekend so I might not even bring it along).

Purpose of the trip: Present a paper, discuss theories, and listen to other people present, professional dinners in the evening, networking

TB Bags: Synapse and MCB, clear wallet, old eagle creek packing cube and llbean toiletry case

Synapse Pack List:
    3 dresses- I will wear the same dress on Thursday and Sunday (black one is from Betsey Johnson from 2 years ago, the other 2 dresses are from Shabby Apple- they sell modest knee length and always full coverage in the front and back-but fashionable dresses on-line that are perfect for folks that want to look professional but don't have to wear suits!)
    Stockings- purple and black
    1 pair of Dansko shoes for all three dresses (I am wearing these not packing them). Super comfy for presenting and wearing all day.
    I selected the dresses because they transition from day to night for work events.

Red Toiletry case

Purple stuff sack for undergarments

In the MCB:
    iPad first generation with all the conference workshop papers accessible via GoodReader
    iPhone
    Notebook with my presentation notes and pens
    USB jump drive with my presentation (also accessible via iPad using Prezi and airplay)

This is what it all looks like:
    Name:  P1012864.JPG
Views: 1138
Size:  108.1 KBName:  P1012865.JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  123.9 KBName:  P1012867.JPG
Views: 1119
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by nsh; 02-27-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: left out a verb

JLE
    That is very impressive! I assume there's a coat involved as well?

I am on my way to Hong Kong right now for a three day trip, and while I am doing it with carry on only, I can assure you I have packed more than you! It's the day-to-night thing that gets me. I have dresses etc that will make the transition, but I just like to change!
    nsh likes this.

nsh
    @JLE Oh yes, a coat is involved. It is like a second skin on me this winter so I forgot to post it. I wear a wool overcoat with a scarf in and out of buildings.

I am headed to Hong Kong for the first time for a short conference in late June. I would love to hear about how your packing list worked (or did not) for your trip.

this is great. what style Dansko? I can't seem to find them. I have a MJ but that is more casual. hard to find good dressy leather ones.
    nsh likes this.

@nsh, I'm jealous that you can pack into a Synapse for a conference. One year, I did pack into a (non-TB) backpack for a conference and my colleagues' eyes popped. It was gratifying, even though the bag was actually sort of dysfunctional.
    nsh likes this.

Cute dresses!
    nsh likes this.

nsh
    @Shiva The Dansko shoes are called the "Thea" model. They come in all different color combinations but the black on black is quite versatile.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by nsh View Post
    @JLE Oh yes, a coat is involved. It is like a second skin on me this winter so I forgot to post it. I wear a wool overcoat with a scarf in and out of buildings.

I am headed to Hong Kong for the first time for a short conference in late June. I would love to hear about how your packing list worked (or did not) for your trip.
    In June in Hong Kong, it will be very warm and humid (typhoon season), so you'll be able to leave the coat behind! Definitely take an umbrella though.

I would consider having an option to change into for dinner functions because of the humidity. I certainly prefer to refresh for the evenings in that climate. Other than that I don't imagine you'd need to vary your packing list much from the one you posted (lighter tights/stockings, perhaps?). I'm not sure what your field is, but Hong Kong is still very much a place where professionals wear suits or equivalent; might be something to consider if it's relevant to your professional area.

My trip to Hong Kong was for leisure rather than work so my packing list might not be of much interest but since you asked, here it is with comments on what I didn't wear.

1 pair lightweight jeans (worn on plane)
    1 pair cotton chinos
    Black slim trousers for evening
    Lightweight stretch leather skirt for evening - could definitely have left this at home but it's new and I wanted to wear it!
    2 silk tops (evenings)
    2 short sleeve t shirts
    One long sleeved shirt (worn on plane)
    One black cashmere-silk cardigan (for day and night; worn on plane)
    Cashmere shawl (never without this - blanket for plane, scarf and shawl in one)
    Flat shoes for day (worn on plane)
    Heels for evening
    Flat sandals - did not wear, but pack flat so no drama
    Flat evening purse
    Underwear, toiletries, sleepwear, makeup, tiny first aid kit in small OP
    Tech - iPad mini, iPhone, noise-isolating earbuds, Jambox

This all fit with room to spare in an Aeronaut-sized bag (I couldn't take my Aeronaut because I have a shoulder injury at present ) I used a large WF packing cube for the clothes and a small WF cube for the underwear etc. Neither were full. I used 3D cubes for dry toiletries (dyneema) and tech cables/adaptors (mesh). If I were doing the trip with a shoulder bag I'd say the TriStar would have been the perfect size.
    TavaPeak and nsh like this.

By the way, on my recent 7-day cruise, I took a reversible knit dress from Travelsmith (Women's Voyager Knit Cap-Sleeved Reversible Dress) and I was able to wear it for *FOUR* dinners, each time with a different look*. If you're trying to lighten your load some more, I highly recommend it.

* Black side out, once with a blue silk scarf from Turkey for a formal-type dinner, another with a triangular red scarf wrap with fringes for another formal-type dinner, a third with the blue pattern side out, and a fourth with the black side out, wearing a lightweight but long-sleeve knit top over it, to create the illusion that the dress was a black skirt.
    TavaPeak and nsh like this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

nsh
    @Lani I love the dress and that it is reversible! Now I have another dress on my wish list....

nsh, great outfits. I love the shoes. One question, are you able to wear those Danksos without socks (and without blisters)?

nsh
    Yes, I wear the shoes without socks and get no blisters. The band on the back of the shoe is adjustable and has always been snug without inducing blisters for me. I walked all of Chicago and can walk a hilly college campus/teach several hours of lectures and still feel comfortable. I highly recommend them for everyday wear and travel.

I have a pair of older Dansko Mary Janes that fit well with thin socks before I had some elastic replaced. Now, they're too tight with socks. I'll see if I can accustom my feet to going sock free in them. I'm most worried about blisters on my toes.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0