Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Umbrella

Umbrella

What is your favorite packing umbrella? I'm fed up with the cheap drug store models that turn inside out with a gust of wind, and wind up in the garbage. I do want to either strap it to a backpack, or fit it inside an EDC.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Davek Traveller Umbrellas. Pricey (US$ 90) but pack up to about 9" and are extremely durable.

I was just given a Blunt XS Metro umbrella. My friend swears by his and I'm looking forward to testing mine out. It's very hi tech and appears to be very well made. Time will tell.

Check out bluntumbrellas.com

senz° / the original storm umbrella

senz umbrellas can withstand 80 mph winds.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I have the REI Flyweight Umbrella -- no complaints. And Snowpeak makes a nice ultralight umbrella. Not sure how either of these would do in strong winds, though.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

When I saw the title "Umbrella", I thought TB was going to make Dyneema umbrellas! Oh well!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    When I saw the title "Umbrella", I thought TB was going to make Dyneema umbrellas! Oh well!
    Me too gochicken!

I have had this one for quite awhile - it has held up so far: Amazon.com: RST Premium Wind-Proof Umbrella Black 39" Diameter (3026 US): Clothing

Still trying to determine best place to carry an umbrella in my new Smart Alec.
    --------------------------------

I've been pretty happy with this one:
    Amazon.com: Totes Golf Size Auto-Open/Close Umbrella, Black and Tan: Clothing
    Key features:
    -Auto open and close
    -55" diameter
    -Folds to 13"

It just barely fits into the water bottle pocket of my Smart Alec. I've thought about the Davek Traveler but I don't think 40" is really a big enough coverage area for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyB View Post
    I was just given a Blunt XS Metro umbrella. My friend swears by his and I'm looking forward to testing mine out. It's very hi tech and appears to be very well made. Time will tell.

Check out bluntumbrellas.com
    These look pretty cool...let us know how it works out for you.
    --------------------------------

I use either of the following:

Wedgy™ "Fits Anywhere" Mini

Super Slim Mini

I have a few of each in black. They fit anywhere so I can carry them just about anwhere and in just about anything.

No, they won't withstand gale force winds but then neither will I.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

JLE
    Has anyone had trouble taking an umbrella in carry on luggage through airport security?

Not yet! In fact, I sometimes forget I have one with me until I need one and I search around my bag for it. (And I never check my luggage and make about 3 roundtrips a month.)

Several years ago, probably 7 or so, I brought a Shedrain umbrella (www3.shedrain.com, of course) while racing through a US airport enroute to somewhere overseas. Didn't think much about the purchase at the time. It has held up marvelously, and I live near San Jose, Costa Rica, where we get 2000+mm (78 inches) of rain annually crammed mostly into May through November. This umbrella has outlasted Totes and another brands, by far.

My only complaint is that over time the fabric may have stretched a bit, so the overlapping flap on the top vent that keeps if from turning inside out in a gust may let in the occasional drops if turned horizontal. The water just runs back throught the vent. No big deal, just keep the umbrella upright. The spokes, or whatever the metal framework is called, have held up well, and have not bent from leaving wet umbrellas open on the floor, a common mistake we all make.
    Last edited by tdivcr; 03-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.

My favourite brolly is a little unconventional. I don't use them in cities at all. But this one I use when I'm out hiking, both for rain protection and to hide from the fierce sun we get at higher elevation. It's the GoLite Chrome Dome. It weighs in at 8oz, but is non-collapsible. When I'm hiking in the backcountry I slip it down the side of my pack for easy access. GoLite do offer a collapsible version, but all the moving parts add 3oz to the weight of the not-so-memorably named GoLite Collapsible Chrome Trekking Umbrella

Here's a shot of my son sheltering from midsummer rays last year:

Name:  P1000111_Low.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  874.8 KB
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0