Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Washington DC with a Synapse Packing List

nsh

Washington DC with a Synapse Packing List

Washington DC Practice Packing List

Trip Duration: 5 days
    Purpose of the trip: Visit family, attend Le Miserables at National Theater, 2 nice dinner outings for holiday celebrations (grade final exams en route)
    Bags: Synapse and Field Journal
    Technology: iPad (my student’s essays are pre-loaded onto it so I can grade them on the plane using the Pages app) and iPhone/headphones/plug

Plane Outfit:
    Emerson Fry Wide leg Jeans
    Icebreaker black hoodie
    Black tank
    Scottevest Jacket
    Socks
    Dansko shoes (they will double with my skirts and tights)

Main travel pouch:
    Patterned black wool skirt (Dinner 1 outfit)
    Pink and Gold wool skirt (Theater and dinner 2 outfit)
    Turtleneck dress (Family visit outfit)
    Black turtleneck (pairs with both skirts)
    2 pairs of black tights (to wear with skirts)

Stuff sack:
    4 pairs of Icebreaker Undies
    1 bra
    1 pair of socks

Misc:
    Moxie my mini ugly doll
    Nice camera

Toiletries:
    (My husband and I share deodorant and he carries it- it is unscented) TMI? Maybe.
    We will have access to shampoo and toothpaste at my parent’s home.
    Contact solution
    Mild face wash/Neutrogena face wipes
    Eucerin calming night cream
    Concealer stick
    Clear mascara
    Lipstick
    Name:  P1012434.JPG
Views: 1341
Size:  72.2 KBName:  P1012435.JPG
Views: 1366
Size:  115.0 KBName:  P1012436.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  105.0 KBName:  P1012438.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  94.0 KBName:  P1012439.JPG
Views: 1286
Size:  85.7 KB
    Last edited by nsh; 11-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Looks good , y'all will have a great visit. I personally would go with 2 pair of socks only because I have not found socks that dry quickly, but if you are with your folks you probably have access to a dryer if the weather dumps on you.

Enjoy your visit and i hope you get the grading out of the way before you reach DC.
    nsh likes this.

nsh
    @lonestar6 Socks are important for cold nights in DC! I usually sneak a pair of my Mom's socks to wear in the evenings. Also, I should note that I keep a pair of flannel PJs and a sweat shirt from high school at their home. One of the biggest pluses of traveling home (aside from seeing family) is the built in back up of travel supplies!

Cute clothes!
    nsh likes this.

Gotta give a shoutout to the Uglydoll. We used to take (two of) our Uglydogs on trips with us, but as they've gotten older and more--um--well-loved, they've become a little less seaworthy than they used to be.

Have a fun trip, and good luck with all the grading (boo, but at least they're not bluebooks).
    nsh likes this.

nsh
    Yay for Uglydolls! They are so much fun and I love their names. I picked my doll because her given name is Moxie and I figured I could use a little extra moxie while traveling!
    BHappy likes this.

Seconding the cute clothes! Where did you get your beautiful wool skirts? Are they by any remote chance washable? It's always such a struggle to find things that look good but pack small / last on the road (at least for me).

I took my Synapse to DC for a few days this past summer and I lived in an Athleta skort with tons of pockets. It was great for skipping the bag check at the Smithsonian museums, but also awesome when a man in a utility kilt stood next to me on the Metro and we realized we'd both had the same idea.
    美国制造
    offtheblueprint.com -- An online magazine about living unconventionally

Quote Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
    Seconding the cute clothes! Where did you get your beautiful wool skirts? Are they by any remote chance washable? It's always such a struggle to find things that look good but pack small / last on the road (at least for me).

I took my Synapse to DC for a few days this past summer and I lived in an Athleta skort with tons of pockets. It was great for skipping the bag check at the Smithsonian museums, but also awesome when a man in a utility kilt stood next to me on the Metro and we realized we'd both had the same idea.
    @firewatch, Ibex makes really nice washable wool dresses and skirts. I'm not sure if that's what nsh has, though.
    firewatch and nsh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    @firewatch, Ibex makes really nice washable wool dresses and skirts. I'm not sure if that's what nsh has, though.
    Badger, you're an enabler with impeccable taste. I've just spent the past 20 minutes looking at the Ibex web page and drooling.

Quote Originally Posted by nsh View Post
    Technology: iPad (my student’s essays are pre-loaded onto it so I can grade them on the plane using the Pages app)
    I just want you to know that the geek in me squeed when I saw this. That is SO COOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar6 View Post
    Looks good , y'all will have a great visit. I personally would go with 2 pair of socks only because I have not found socks that dry quickly, but if you are with your folks you probably have access to a dryer if the weather dumps on you.
    I have had real good luck with the Smartwool brand socks I get at REI. I just make sure to buy their super thin socks (not the thick bulky ones). I find that doubling them up works pretty well in really cold weather, and a single layer works fine for most situations. They also sell them in various lengths (from little ankle biters to knee-highs).

You might not be able to get them COMPLETELY dry but the "wring in the towel" method works pretty well with those socks. I have photos of how you do that at my recent Travelite post: Getting your clothes clean on your travels (and getting them dried quickly) « The Travelite FAQ
    nsh likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

nsh
    Thank you @firewatch! I purchased one skirt at Ann Taylor Loft (the black and red one) back in 2003 and the pink skirt with gold birds was recently purchased on sale at Anthropologie. I dry clean clothes just once a year but make sure to take care of them during the year by hanging them right away at home and air drying if they seem musty.

If you like wool, I highly recommend Icebreaker clothing. Icebreaker clothing is washable at home. I own their skirts and dresses and I think they look fantastic for work, everyday wear, and travel.

@Lani- I am obsessed with your travel website. I have read almost all your posts and went back into the archives. You have great advice and your Synapse travel photos inspired me to buy the Synapse in the first place.
    The iPad has been great for letting me get work done without lugging around tons of paper on trips (loading student essays or reading academic articles).
    I had to post a picture of my Synapse sitting in my home office tonight I love it so much. It has been just a month and I am completely in love with it!

Name:  P1012441.JPG
Views: 1037
Size:  78.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Badger, you're an enabler with impeccable taste. I've just spent the past 20 minutes looking at the Ibex web page and drooling.
    Awww. Blushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Ooh thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nsh View Post
    Thank you @firewatch! I purchased one skirt at Ann Taylor Loft (the black and red one) back in 2003 and the pink skirt with gold birds was recently purchased on sale at Anthropologie. I dry clean clothes just once a year but make sure to take care of them during the year by hanging them right away at home and air drying if they seem musty.

If you like wool, I highly recommend Icebreaker clothing. Icebreaker clothing is washable at home. I own their skirts and dresses and I think they look fantastic for work, everyday wear, and travel.
    Ahh neat, thanks! I've always thought of dry cleaning as this expensive cumbersome thing, but your system sounds great. I do own a few Icebreaker pieces, I'll have to check out their skirts.
    美国制造
    offtheblueprint.com -- An online magazine about living unconventionally

nsh
    A quick shot of my my fully packed Synapse on the Jet Blue flight from Boston to Washington Dulles. It fit perfectly under the seat and was a great companion during my travels- I even had room to spare.
    Name:  photo-22.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  906.0 KB

Thanks for the pictures! You make me feel like getting the Synapse in Black.

I thought usually females would choose a brighter color.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0