Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TavaPeak
  • 1 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By lonestar6
  • 1 Post By lonestar6

Thread: Seeking advice on how to pack a suit in the Tristar.

Question Seeking advice on how to pack a suit in the Tristar.

I love my Tristar. It has served me efficiently as I travel around the globe for general travel. Then I found myself needing to wear a suit *shudder*

Now, I am not a suit person, but I do own a suit for those *rare* occasions when I need one. So, there I was needing to pack a suit for a business trip. I tossed the suit into a garment bag, tossed the garment bag into the car and took off. That worked out fine. Wore the suit, brought it home, took it to the cleaners so it would be ready the next time I need it which, based on experience, would be sometime in 2015.

The suit is still at the cleaners and I already have an assignment that requires me to wear it again. It looks like this will be part of my future. I need to learn how to pack a women’s business suit in my beloved TS so that the suit comes out presentable to wear.

I have read about bundle packing VS folding. I have a nice eagle creek folding garment device that fits perfectly in the TS if needed. Wearing the jacket by itself is out as it looks stupid when not paired with the pants, and I am already feeling pretty stupid.

I seek your experiences (both what worked and what did not) on packing business suits in the TS.

I will proactively mention that I am 5’10” and medium build.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    LS6

I remember reading a packing book from the 90s. The advice for women was to wear black leggings and an oversized t-shirt on the plane, topped with the business blazer. (The 80s called - they want their scrunchies back!)

I take separates - nice slacks and a moleskin jacket (which wrinkles less) for business wear. I dress them up with a great scarf to make them more formal. This video shows a nifty way to fold a suit jacket. Maybe some one can chime in if it works? Jacket folding - light travel one-bag packing technique - YouTube
    Hollie likes this.

I was going to suggest that video as I have used that technique for years and it works well. It also protects the jacket.

Use the folder for the pants and blouses but you can probably just pack the suit jacket by itself. All of that should fit in one compartment of the Tri-Star. I use the rear one with the compressions straps. And yes, I use the compression straps.

Once you get to your destination, take the jacket out and hang it up.

(I should also mention the link Tavapeak lists is to my website's YouTube channel. However, that is now me in the video. )
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I remember reading a packing book from the 90s. The advice for women was to wear black leggings and an oversized t-shirt on the plane, topped with the business blazer. (The 80s called - they want their scrunchies back!)

I take separates - nice slacks and a moleskin jacket (which wrinkles less) for business wear. I dress them up with a great scarf to make them more formal. This video shows a nifty way to fold a suit jacket. Maybe some one can chime in if it works? Jacket folding - light travel one-bag packing technique - YouTube
    I use the technique in that video too. It's great for folding down to the size of the TS compartments without compromising the structure of the jacket shoulders.

But it took a lot of practice before I was anywhere near as proficient as Till!

This is the same technique but better explained:

How To Fold A Jacket - YouTube
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew y'all would have some great advice. I have time to practice over the weekend.

TavaPeak, I also have dress slacks and moleskin jacket which I much prefer and can be paired with different shirts and accessories to extend the wardrobe. However, recently I am going to meetings where a suit is also required.

It takes quite a psychological stretch for me to shift from combat boots to business suit, then repeat. Thank goodness the Tristar is not phased by the shift at all. It is so versatile.

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by lonestar6; 10-26-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Follow up - thanks again! Trip went smoothly, suit came out of the TriStar looking beautiful packed per the directions in the video. Packed it up and came home and showed my spousal unit who was mightily impressed that after 2 packings and a wearing the suit still looked fresh.
    Lani likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0