Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: It's that time of year again

@Badger, I love your posts! Thanks for the great pics. Will you employ the Aeronaut/Synapse strategy again this weekend? Stay strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    @Badger, I love your posts! Thanks for the great pics. Will you employ the Aeronaut/Synapse strategy again this weekend? Stay strong!
    Aw, thanks for the shout-out. This is a shorter conference I'm going to, so I'll be rocking the WF/MCB (Mrs B. and I will be able to pack all our stuff in the WF unless blizzard conditions are called for). Per usual, I'll have pics once I start the packing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    You can have some of it. I bequeath unto thee the following:
    1. Pilot G2 .38 refill, black (empty)
    2. 2.4 kilos corgi (hair, in plastic Hy-Vee bag)
    3. 1 box of Suddenly SALAD, Bacon and Ranch "Flavor"
    4. Kiddo
    5. 6 packets Italian kleenex, "Clever" brand
    I'll take it. It's a start. :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

First burrito ever? That is not acceptable. My kids had their first burrito when they were 15 months old. It was from Qdoba and they pretty much ate the whole thing between them. Nomlettes!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    First burrito ever? That is not acceptable. My kids had their first burrito when they were 15 months old. It was from Qdoba and they pretty much ate the whole thing between them. Nomlettes!
    To her credit, my colleague is only 348 months old. She ate the whole thing in about 5 minutes.

Conference #2

We're leaving for conference #2 tomorrow morning, post-faculty meeting (yay . . .). It's a two-day conference and I'm excited, especially since the undergraduate presenters I am shepherding are well-prepared and ready to go. Mrs B. is able to come along, so you have some fancy dinner photos to look forward to.

I think that for this trip, Mrs B. has been left to her own packing devices. I'm taking my WF and my MCB for this trip, as I've said, and here's what I'm packing.

In the WF, I've got: 2 dress shirts (note ties, because that's how I roll now), 4 T-shirts, and 2 sweaters. I have a pair of jeans in the next photo, but I'll be wearing those. I've got a scarf, a couple hats, socks, gym shorts, and such. I'll be wearing the belt and shoes, which look absurdly small in the picture for some reason.

I've also got the most un-womanly collection of toiletries ever.

But check it: my hair wax is, and I quote, "for wizards."

In the MCB, I've got an iPad, a keyboard, a Moleskine notebook, a bag of Clif Bars and also an easy-access, caffeinated emergency Clif Bar, chargers, a pen, my iPad stand, and organizer pouches containing business cards, ibuprofen, and other little things.

Tomorrow morning, I'll stop by the office to make handouts and stuff, and I'll carry the folder in the magazine pocket of the WF. We're driving and we are familiar with the city, so by conference travel standards, this is going to be easy peasy lemon squeezy (which I like), as opposed to difficult difficult lemon difficult (which I don't like).

Random side note: my burrito-eating colleague assigned two of my students role playing game personae. One was immediately and unquestionably deemed an elf. The other? A badass ranger. A badass ranger who happens to have a TB bag, I might add.

Badger, I am really enjoying your travel thread. I am traveling a lot myself, but sadly Wisconsin is not on the itinerary. I have picked up some good ideas from your adventures. The one thing that alludes me is the cliff bars with caffeine. Where are you finding these?

Hey lonestar, the Peanut Toffee Buzz clif bars are kind of hard to find, admittedly. I buy them in six-packs at Target, but I can sometimes get them at the co-op. I usually just have the peanut butter ones, but you know what they say about desperate times.

I would just like to add that it is pure awesome you get to travel with a badass ranger and elf to a conference! =D

I feel somehow perversely vindicated by your packing lists and travel choices. I feel like there's so much *pressure* from one-bag packers, and yet I note that very few of those people seem to be going on extended business trips requiring both laptops and business clothes, and then requiring something to tote the laptop around in once you get there. Your two-bag combos sound about right to me!

PS: Nice choice of ties.

Badger, when I was in Israel, a friend on the tour who was a Catholic seminary student gave me a mini-rosary. (He said it had been blessed, which is really cool.) It looks like yours, with cross and olivewood beads, but has far fewer beads. It's the size of a child's bracelet. Would that be a "travel rosary"?

Quote Originally Posted by dichroic View Post
    I feel somehow perversely vindicated by your packing lists and travel choices. I feel like there's so much *pressure* from one-bag packers, and yet I note that very few of those people seem to be going on extended business trips requiring both laptops and business clothes, and then requiring something to tote the laptop around in once you get there. Your two-bag combos sound about right to me!

PS: Nice choice of ties.
    Right. I know some people use the WF as a briefcase, but I'm 5'3". In other words, if I did that I'd look unbelievably stupid. Also, who carries just an iPad in a WF? But I digress. I could have fit everything into the WF (packed the MCB flat, etc.) but since we were driving it seemed a weird choice.

Thanks for the validation re: the ties. I'm inordinately proud of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Badger, when I was in Israel, a friend on the tour who was a Catholic seminary student gave me a mini-rosary. (He said it had been blessed, which is really cool.) It looks like yours, with cross and olivewood beads, but has far fewer beads. It's the size of a child's bracelet. Would that be a "travel rosary"?
    You can definitely use the mini rosary for travel; they contain one decade (i.e., ten beads), either with or without the larger Pater bead. I know Maria has a rosary ring, which is the ultimate for light travel. You can wear it on your finger or, as one of my friends does, on a chain around your neck.

(Side note: thank God I only had to pull the rosary out once during my flight back from SD. I'm not awesome at 30,000 feet.)

Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    I would just like to add that it is pure awesome you get to travel with a badass ranger and elf to a conference! =D
    They were hilarious in the back of the car, mowing down orcs and giants left and right.

Are those my Italian Kleenex you are taking to the conference? I distinctly remember them being bequeathed to me in post #14.
    dorayme and earth5 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0