Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Three-week trip with an Aeronaut

  1. #16
    Registered User snowbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington DC-ish
    Posts
    309
    Hi Badger, I hope the corgi weight loss program isn't too traumatic.

    We leave detailed instructions about how many ounces to feed our cats when we travel, as well as how to use the kitchen scale, and the "emergency" cans of food are typically used, too. I think our cat sitter doesn't like to use the scale. But the cat sitter is more reliable than my mother. If my mother takes care of the cats when I'm gone, they're not hungry for a couple of days after I return.

  2. #17
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Hi Badger, I hope the corgi weight loss program isn't too traumatic.

    We leave detailed instructions about how many ounces to feed our cats when we travel, as well as how to use the kitchen scale, and the "emergency" cans of food are typically used, too. I think our cat sitter doesn't like to use the scale. But the cat sitter is more reliable than my mother. If my mother takes care of the cats when I'm gone, they're not hungry for a couple of days after I return.
    Before we left, I had considered bagging daily meals for each dog, but something tells me that even if I had done that, everything still would have gotten screwed up. When we lived in South Bend, the facility where we boarded Titus (this was pre-Hector) was very good about limiting treats and keeping to the correct measurement of food.

    That's very funny that your mother over-indulges the cats. My mom does the same with the corgs. I think they think of her as "nice old lady who bestows on us the ham."

  3. #18
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Badger, first off I have to say I *LOVE* that you kept posting updates in your thread. I was able to follow you as you went on your journey.



    Oh, almost like Flat Stanley! I will be looking forward to this.
    Lani, I'm glad you enjoyed the posts! I really want to get the pics up soon. The semester is starting tomorrow and I'm pretty busy, but I'm hoping to find some time to get all my pics organized, edited, and labeled. I think I have 4-5 FOT pics to share.

    We are already talking about going back to Venice very soon--it was a blast! Our next big trip was supposed to be to Japan, but now that's kind of up in the air. I agree that the iPhone has a good camera now, and while I think I will likely take an SLR camera to Japan, the next time we go to Italy, I'll just be rocking the iPhone for sure.

  4. #19
    Registered User ncb4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    662
    This thread has taken such interesting twists and turns. As for cameras, I have both a DSLR and a Panasonic Lumix ZS3. Like you, Lani and Badger, I find I don't take out my "big" camera that much. Partly that's because it's heavy to carry around, and I think partly I have that same sense that you do Lani about feeling obliged to "compose" a perfect shot. On the other hand, I've had an iPhone 4S (my first) for three months now, and I can't get comfortable with using it as a camera. I'm not sure why. Part of it is that I forget it's got a camera; part of it is that I haven't gotten used to the way you use it to take photos. It feels awkward to me: first I have to launch a camera app (I use Camera+), and then I miss a real shutter button. I feel more comfortable with my Pany, and find that's the camera I use most of the time. Any hints on how I can get more comfortable with my iPhone camera?

    Then there's the whole dog weight issue. I never realized that you had to be so cautious with smaller breed dogs about weight gain, to the point where you had to weigh food down to the ounce. We are also dealing with weight issues with our Newfy (he is hypothyroid), but with giant breeds you've got more latitude: a couple ounces here and there don't matter as much. Yukon has lost thirty pounds since last summer! He's very active, and we practice portion control with his food, but he also needs thyroxine every day; as long as he takes that, he can keep his boyish figure. Im curious; why are Corgis so prone to weight gain? Poor little guys! And you'd think that one of the perks of being a dog is that you wouldn't have to worry about counting calories.

  5. #20
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,417
    ncb4: if you double-click the home button when the phone is asleep, the lock screen will come up. Note that there is a little camera icon. You can touch that icon and the camera app will launch automatically. Also, from settings, you can set the volume up button as a shutter button, which is, I find, much more stable in landscape mode than using the touch screen.

    Re: weight. Corgis are actually medium-sized dogs on short legs (they have achrondoplasia, which also affects humans with the dwarfism gene). So, they have normal-sized torsos that are held up by short legs. Corgis are prone to weight gain because of their genetics; they are also compulsive overeaters. If you google images of "obese corgis," you'll see hairy spheres with little foot-nubs sticking out.

    Titus, at least, has learned to love vegetables. He likes Belgian endives, fennel, carrots, bell peppers, and steamed broccoli. He does not, however, like the unsalted canned green beans suggested as a dog diet aid. But then, who does?
    Maria likes this.

  6. #21
    Registered User TavaPeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    387
    Badger, the vet recommended we feed our Maddie some frozen green beans for snacks. She loves them - they are crunchy and cold. Of course, she's a lab, and will eat almost anything (as per Citizen Canine photo).

  7. #22
    Registered User snowbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington DC-ish
    Posts
    309
    The surprise benefit of carrots as a dog treat is that the dog piles are really easy to find.

  8. #23
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Badger, the vet recommended we feed our Maddie some frozen green beans for snacks. She loves them - they are crunchy and cold. Of course, she's a lab, and will eat almost anything (as per Citizen Canine photo).
    Yeah--I thought the corgis would love frozen green beans, but no go. They do, however, love frozen yogurt, which has in common with frozen green beans the amazing property of being frozen.

    On an unrelated note: one thing I miss about South Bend is the frozen yogurt place. It was called Let's Spoon. Good times!

  9. #24
    Registered User ncb4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    662
    Badger, thanks for the tips on the iPhone camera: I'm going to try those out today! And that's fascinating about corgis actually having achondroplasia. The compulsive overeating reminds me of another genetic issue you see in humans called Prader-Willi syndrome. I'm amazed that you can get your dogs to like vegies: I have dutifully tried to be a good mom and get all my Newfs to eat vegies, and every single one of them has spit them out and stared at me balefully as if to say, "Where is the steak and ice cream?" I was excited that Yukon will eat carrots though: my first victory!

  10. #25
    Registered User Maria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ncb4: if you double-click the home button when the phone is asleep, the lock screen will come up. Note that there is a little camera icon. You can touch that icon and the camera app will launch automatically. Also, from settings, you can set the volume up button as a shutter button, which is, I find, much more stable in landscape mode than using the touch screen.

    Re: weight. Corgis are actually medium-sized dogs on short legs (they have achrondoplasia, which also affects humans with the dwarfism gene). So, they have normal-sized torsos that are held up by short legs. Corgis are prone to weight gain because of their genetics; they are also compulsive overeaters. If you google images of "obese corgis," you'll see hairy spheres with little foot-nubs sticking out.

    Titus, at least, has learned to love vegetables. He likes Belgian endives, fennel, carrots, bell peppers, and steamed broccoli. He does not, however, like the unsalted canned green beans suggested as a dog diet aid. But then, who does?
    Just shows those Corgis have good taste! No surprise éh?

    Our dogs loved carrots as treats too. Try frozen green peas...our Bichon loved to play with them before eating them up in ten seconds too.
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

  11. #26
    Registered User Lani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    if you double-click the home button when the phone is asleep, the lock screen will come up. Note that there is a little camera icon. You can touch that icon and the camera app will launch automatically.
    Oh my goodness--I DID NOT KNOW THAT!!! I just tried it, and it worked! I think it's a feature of the new version 5.0 iOS.

    No, stop. That's not just a nifty feature; this is behavior-changing for me. Thank you SOOOO much for this tip!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Also, from settings, you can set the volume up button as a shutter button, which is, I find, much more stable in landscape mode than using the touch screen.
    That one I knew about. There was someone who created an app that did that, and Apple gave it the big banhammer because they said you aren't supposed to change the functionality of hardware, and plus, you would confuse all us non-smart iPhone users. Well somewhere along the way, somebody convinced them it was an awesome way to hold the camera steady (I don't know about you but I can steady things up much better using two hands), and... plus... it turns out iPhone users aren't so non-smart after all! ^_^
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

  12. #27
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    Just shows those Corgis have good taste! No surprise éh?

    Our dogs loved carrots as treats too. Try frozen green peas...our Bichon loved to play with them before eating them up in ten seconds too.
    They don't go for peas, which is fine by me. Peas are revolting. Mrs B likes peas, and whenever I have to cook them for her I get all nauseated.

    ncb4: I'm not sure corgis are compulsive in a medical or genetic sense, but I'd characterize them as "highly food-motivated." Sure, you'll occasionally hear of corgis who graze from their food bowls or prefer play time to treats, but it's not too common. Sadly, many corgis die by getting their heads stuck in food bags, and then asphyxiating. They're so, so greedy, and sometimes that greed is their downfall. Keep trying with the vegetable treats, btw. Titus didn't care for any vegetables besides carrots at first, but he's expanded his repertoire a great deal.

  13. #28
    Registered User Lani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    They don't go for peas, which is fine by me. Peas are revolting. Mrs B likes peas, and whenever I have to cook them for her I get all nauseated.
    OK I'm relaying this story thirdhand. My husband used to have a dog named Yoda, who couldn't stand peas. I don't quite remember how it is they fed him peas (apparently it was either in the canned food or they fed him leftover tuna casserole or something), but the funny part is that Yoda would eat everything in the bowl... except the peas. The bowl would be licked clean, except for the little cluster of peas he'd push off to the side. I always found that hilarious--he never complained and asked for different food when they fed him this. He just simply ate around the peas.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

  14. #29
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,417
    Yoda! So cute. Titus does the same thing.

    My mom went to school with a girl whose family name was/is Yoda. I think the late 70s-early 80s were just awesome for them.
    Lani likes this.

  15. #30
    Registered User TavaPeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    387
    My mother had a fat basset hound (Mandy) who would dig up baby carrots in her garden before she could harvest them. The dog first observed my mother pulling carrots from the garden bed, then sitting on the back step to wash them in a bucket before taking them in for dinner. The dog just figured out how to cut out the middleman. Mandy would wait until the carrots grew to just the right size to be sweet before digging.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0