Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anybody have any travel planned for the holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post

Yeah, that's the only part that I was slightly concerned about since the OP is going in December. But really, one can just wear the same outerwear the whole time including on the plane... And then packing the under-layers should be the same as any other trip!

Packing for what to wear may not be the problem--the problem might be controlling myself not to buy too much to bring home!!

So far I am thinking one spare pair of jeans and two extra sweaters in additional to what I wear on the plane. Then enough t-shirts to wear a fresh one every day under the sweaters. Same coat and shoes all week--I don't plan on any events requiring dressy clothes.

This is my draft list for using my WF for the trip:

Wear on flight: Jeans, sweater, coat, shoes (only pair I will take I think), scarf, leather gloves

Large WF Packing cube:
    1 pr jeans
    2 sweaters
    5 thin cotton t-shirts
    Thin cotton sweat pants to wear in hotel and to sleep (I think I can re-use the daytime t-shirts to sleep in)
    Thin cotton robe

Packing Cube Shoulder Bag:
    5 prs underwear
    1 bra
    5 prs socks
    1 pair thick socks (to use as slippers in the hotel)

Clear quarter packing cube:
    One side 3-1-1 liquids baggy (removed from CQPC to go through security)
    Other side, non liquid cosmetics and miscellaneous

Small Stuff sack:
    Small camera
    Camera charger
    Phone charger
    Kindle charger

Front pockets:
    Kindle in Timbuktu padded case

Back pocket:
    Travel docs (printouts of reservations, directions, maps, etc.)

TBD is a purse/tote bag which will include my wallet, glasses, keys, etc.

I am going to do a packing dry run soon--I'll try to post pictures.
    My Tom Bihn stuff: Western Flyer (Black/Steel), Large WF packing cube (Steel), Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Steel), Absolute shoulder strap, Horizontal Cache, Clear Organizer Wallet (Plum), Small Dyneema pouch (UV), Ballistic Nylon Pen/Pencil Pouch (Steel), FOJ Pouch (Navy), Clear Quarter Packing Cube (UV), Small Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), and the Super Secret Mystery Gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Where are you flying from, OnMyWay? I'd love to see your packing list, because I am nosy and obsessive about both packing and lists.
    I am flying from Los Angeles--paid a little extra to book a nonstop flight to avoid all the hassle of connecting flights during the likely bad weather in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    We will be in Italy for 18 days over Christmas and New Year's, and we are one-bagging. Mrs. B will carry our Patagonia MLC, which is a model from several years ago and great quality; I'll be carrying an Aeronaut. We have a 17-pound weight limit, which won't be hard going over but might be more challenging coming back, since we will probably want to buy gifts. At least booze from the Duty Free won't count against us.
    18 days with one bag each! I am in awe of you and your wife. I haven't managed come close to one bagging for such a long trip yet.
    My Tom Bihn stuff: Western Flyer (Black/Steel), Large WF packing cube (Steel), Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Steel), Absolute shoulder strap, Horizontal Cache, Clear Organizer Wallet (Plum), Small Dyneema pouch (UV), Ballistic Nylon Pen/Pencil Pouch (Steel), FOJ Pouch (Navy), Clear Quarter Packing Cube (UV), Small Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), and the Super Secret Mystery Gift!

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post
    18 days with one bag each! I am in awe of you and your wife. I haven't managed come close to one bagging for such a long trip yet.
    Right now, I'm trying to decide if this is wise or stupid. Last time we went to Italy, we took a ton of bags because I was carrying research materials. None of them survived the trip all that well.

Our strategy for this time is as follows:

We will leave our heavy winter coats in our car in Chicago.

Mrs B. will wear her black leather boots onto the plane; I will wear my fleece, my hoody, and my jacket and tuck my organizer pouches into my pockets.

We will pack mostly synthetic fabrics, which will save weight and can be hand washed; we will take a minimum number of shoes.

We rented an apartment in Venice that has a washing machine.

If we buy pottery or anything heavy, we'll arrange shipping.

Packing list to come shortly; we leave in 16 days! Holy crap!

It's totally do-able. I did 30 days in Paris and Spain with an Aeronaut. You see my packing list here: Packing the Aeronaut | building bridges

AND I did research and attended a conference while I was there!
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

I just came back from a rapid trip to the Toronto area. I had a class in NYC on Friday, so I was carrying things for that, an in progress baby blanket for a shower on Saturday, and various gifts. I took my Swift, an old roller bag I have and a small foldable cloth bag. The cloth bag held the blanket and doubled as a pillow on the trip up. The Swift held my Nook, the things for the class, the things I usually carry in it, and the chargers for the Nook, iPod Touch and my phone. In addition to the blanket, my hat & scarf got stashed in the cloth bag. The roller bag held mostly gifts. I found a great gift for my eldest and had been begger to carry some gifts to the shower from someone who couldn't attend. I actually think that without the class stuff & gifts I could have packed what I took in my Swift & Imago.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

this is going to come out in installments, since I've only just began packing. I'm going to Brazil for 2 weeks next wednesday and I'm bringing an Aeronaut and my Medium Cafe Bag. I usually allow myself two large packing cubes for clothes and put my shoes and accessories on the side pockets. This time I've limited myself to one packing cube because I need to bring gifts to family and plan to do some shopping there. So here is what I have so far in my packing cube:

3 skirts
    2 dresses
    6 tops
    2 cropped pants
    underwear & a bathing suit

In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

In which cube or compartment does the cat go?

Our holiday travel plans will involve multiple 2-4 hour driving trips, so we're trying to limit our bags so we can fit presents. My mom inevitably sends us home with a ton of food, and we also have to fit the not-compactable crate (it collapses down to be a few inches thick, but it still takes up space).
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0