Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By joiedwards
  • 2 Post By joiedwards
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 2 Post By dorayme

Thread: First Tom Bihn Trip

First Tom Bihn Trip

Went to Las Vegas, Nv for the Labor Day weekend. A 4 day trip to meet friends and attend a conference. I took my Smart Alec and Aeronaut bags as well as several of their pouches. The Aeronaut was as light as a feather hanging from my shoulder on the Absolute Strap. The Smart Alec was already my everyday carry pack for work and neither bag was full.

Packing List - Aeronaut:
    2 pair jeans
    2 long sleeve shirts (lightweight material)
    4 tee shirts
    4 sets briefs, bras and socks (in separate Kifaru Pullouts)
    1 pair pjs (shorts and top)
    1 pair flip-flop shower shoes (in 2 shoe socks)
    Small bag of hair rollers, a hairnet, a brush and a comb
    Lid Pocket - alarm clock, spare belt.
    Quart Ziploc with Shower Kit (bar of soap, moisturizer, eyedrops, throat spray, etc)
    Clear Medium Pouch - all papers related to trip, confirmations, tickets, receipts, maps
    Large Pouch - papers and catalogs collected at the conference

Packing List - Smart Alec:
    Large Pouch - reading material
    Mini Pouch - Ricola throat drops
    Kleen Kanteen (in water bottle pocket) - took to the airport empty and filled after security
    Sunglass case with sun or regular glasses in it in other pocket
    Padded Mac Drive pouch - Ipod and Ultimate Ears in ear monitors in Otter Case
    Sonnicare toothbrush in its case
    Medium Pouch - toothpowder, Kleenex, Spork, Small Pouch (First Aid Kit), Mini Pouch (foam earplugs),
    few Wet Ones foils, Comb, small bit of ducttape, tube of Airborne, eyeglass repait kit, Big Red gum.
    Pen/Pencil pouch - 2 fountain pens, 1 Mechanical pencil, 1 Sherpa Sharpie, Midori brass ruler.
    Small Pouch - charging cables for iphone and ipod
    Small foldup shopping bag
    Fenix TK10 flashlight and spare batteries
    Keys

I wore: one set underwear, jeans, tee shirt, long sleeve shirt, trainers, belt
    I carried: pocket notebook, space pen, wallet (mini Pouch), leather pocket briefcase (holds 3 by 5
    notecards)

Everything worked perfectly together and everything I got at the conference fit in the Aeronaut.
    I had to hike my luggage out on the tarmac and up and down the ramps and never felt over burdened. I have more trips planned this year and Tom Bihn will be traveling with me!

Thanks for the very usable and organizing luggage.

Note: unless otherwise stated, all Pouches are Tom Bihn Dyneema or cordura.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Thanks, Joi. I posted this on our blog today.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Perfect Combination!

I used the same two bags for a 10-day, multiple stop trip into Canada. I was actually able to fit my whole CPAP machine plus a Co-pilot packed full of my junk inside of the Smart Alec. It was a breeze packing 10 days worth of clothes in the Aeronaut too. I brought a full, 10-day's worth of clothes in the thing too! Things got a little heavy going through customs, but what a joy by-passing normal luggage hassles along the way. IMHO, nothing looks sexier than these two matching black bags!
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

ShineAgain: "IMHO, nothing looks sexier than these two matching black bags!" My opinion, too.

Love the pics and list. I agree the matching bags look so lovely together!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Wow, Thanks Darcy for the kind words. Yeah, I like the black fabric they use. I think I will be getting a Brain Bag at some point for 2 day business trips and it will be black. I need to get more of the Pouches. it is so much easier to move from bag to bag with everything in categories in pouches. My friend who traveled with me is planning on getting the pouches. She loved them for organizing.
    backpack and tCook like this.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    Wow, Thanks Darcy for the kind words. Yeah, I like the black fabric they use. I think I will be getting a Brain Bag at some point for 2 day business trips and it will be black. I need to get more of the Pouches. it is so much easier to move from bag to bag with everything in categories in pouches. My friend who traveled with me is planning on getting the pouches. She loved them for organizing.
    I feel the same way about Steel! And, yes, Tom Bihn Pouches are the greatest invention since the washing machine, dryer and computer!

Extremely handy, enable color coding and transfer of stuff from one bag to another in a jiffy. And they are stylish, the zipper works and they are strong!
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    Yeah, I like the black fabric they use. I think I will be getting a Brain Bag at some point for 2 day business trips and it will be black.
    Just be aware that the Brain Bag is Cordura, not ballistic nylon. (The Smart Alec combines the smooth ballistic with the rougher Cordura.) It's another great bag.
    Last edited by gmanedit; 09-08-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Hum? I too like matching bags! Although the colours are so beautiful, I'll just need to get a matching set of everything in each colour…you know, depending on the mood or the trip. Forest? Steel? Navy? Black?

So enjoy the organization with the pouches. (Although I still dream of pouches with a gusset.)
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I feel the same way about Steel! And, yes, Tom Bihn Pouches are the greatest invention since the washing machine, dryer and computer!

Extremely handy, enable color coding and transfer of stuff from one bag to another in a jiffy. And they are stylish, the zipper works and they are strong!
    Yes on the steel part, my matching "luggage" is steel too.
    Yes on the greatest invention part.
    Yes on the usefulness on organizing and function part and stylish parts too!
    Yes, yes, yes!
    backpack and jaon like this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Just got back from my second trip with my dynamic duel, Smart Alec and Aeronaut bags. I flew to Oakland and then took the BART to Dublin, Calif for the San Fransisco Pen Show. Lots of walking but my luggage was no problem. Packing list was the same. The Absolute Strap is a minor miracle dropping the weight of my Aeronaut to nothing! And I was able to get 4 albums and two Kurt Vonugut books I picked up in there padded with clothes.

I an so looking forward to purchasing a Brain Bag for shorter trips so i only have to carry one bag.

Loving me some Tom Bihn!!!1
    Joi Edwards

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0