Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ncb4

Thread: Little Swift

Little Swift

My Kiwi Little Swift arrived a few days ago, and I instantly fell in love with it. It took me all of five seconds to transfer everything out of the old leather purse I was using. The LS swallowed it all gracefully, with room to spare. Here’s what I have inside today.

1. Pocket 1: Altoids, pen
    2. Pocket 2: iPod Touch with polishing cloth, empty sunglass case (sunglasses are always on my face)

3. Clipped to three of the four O-rings:

a. Cork Organizer pouch with my cell phone inside

b and c. Two sets of keys. Both were already attached to lanyards with lobster clasps on them, so the key fob supplied with the Little Swift is free at the moment.

d. A wristlet wallet that I love because I can slip my phone inside, attach my keys, and remove the wallet from my bag for quick trips inside the grocery. The wallet holds coins, currency, credit cards, coupons, shopping lists, and receipts. I can even fit a small wallet pen in it. Because its clasp is too big to fit through the O-rings, I attached a small carabiner to the O-ring instead, then I loop the wristlet strap through the carabiner.

4. Main compartment

a. Black zippered pouch containing toiletries and first aid supplies. (My son may be at university in Scotland, but I can’t get out of the habit of carrying hand sanitizer, wipes, bandaids, ibuprofen, lip balm, hand lotion, comb, etc.) Old microfiber case I bought at GH Bass years ago; I may try shifting this to the mini-StuffSack that came with the Little Swift.

b. Purse organizer: this thing is amazing. It not only corrals all the smaller items in my bag and keeps them in one place for better organization, but makes it easy and fast for me to find and access anything. And I can quickly change bags, if need be. I purchased this one from an independent craftswoman on Etsy.com, but you could sew your own. Inside the organizer are the following:

i. Glasses that I never wear since my LASIK surgery, but can’t seem to leave behind
    ii. Little leather pouch with mad money, earphones, a penknife, a stylus for my Touch, and a foldable plastic stand for my Touch.
    iii. Clear Organizer Wallet with a blank check and the store cards and credit cards that I don’t use that often
    iv. Clear Organizer Pouch with my electronic accessories: optical cloth, spare batteries for both my camera and my cell phone, memory cards for the camera
    v. Square leather wallet that contains Post-It Notes
    vi. Penlight
    vii. Two more pens
    viii. Moleskine Cahier notebook
    ix. Moleskine Volant mini-notebook (if you can’t tell, I’m a writer: nothing is real for me until I write it down somewhere)
    x. Spritzer bottle (L’Occitane lemon verbena spray)
    xi. Panasonic Lumix ZS3 in a neoprene case
    xii. Miccus Charge block (external battery for the Touch)

I really don’t need to lug all this stuff around with me, and one day I hope to wean myself from some of the less necessary things. The point is, in the Little Swift, I can carry it all: and more besides. There is room in the bag for a small water bottle perhaps, or a mini-umbrella on rainy days; my Apple Bluetooth keyboard for the Touch; a book; or my Moleskine daily planner. It’s amazing how much I can fit in this bag, and yet it retains its sleek shape, never looking lumpy or over-stuffed.

I love my Little Swift as much as I love its big sister, the full-sized Indigo Swift. The Little Swift is the perfect size for daily use, and I can’t believe how comfortable the Poron straps are. I had the exact same contents in a leather Fossil handbag, which I couldn’t carry on my shoulder for longer than fifteen minutes without my shoulder starting to hurt. I don’t know what it is about the design of the Little Swift, but the straps make the load feel much lighter to carry. No more shoulder pain!

The bag stands up beautifully on its own, which makes it easy to sit on a table, desk, or store counter to rummage around in. That stiffness, combined with the double straps, also makes it easy to access the inside of the bag while it’s still on your shoulder. (Just slide one strap down, and reach inside the bag.)

I am finding the button closure a bit stiff, but that may loosen up with time. I like the fact that the bag has neither a top zipper or a flap, because I am constantly reaching inside my bag, and this makes that simple to do. However, I can see that this would be a drawback in the rain. I don’t live in a rainy climate, so this isn’t a big problem for me. What I do is make sure that sensitive items, such as my Touch and my cell phone, are zipped inside an Organizer pouch or one of the two urethane pockets. This will protect them from water. The open top design also means that the contents of the bag could conceivably fall out if the bag is knocked off a car seat, for example. The way I pack my LS minimizes that. Everything is either in a zippered case, a zipper pocket, leashed to an O-ring, or secured in the Etsy organizer. And so far I've found that things tend to stay inside the LS pretty well, no matter how I sling it around.

Hope this helps someone trying to decide whether to add the Little Swift to their bag collection. I like mine so much I’m thinking of ordering the Ultrasuede one to use during the autumn and winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ncb4; 07-04-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add more photos

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Great review of your Little Swift! I posted it on the blog today.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Awesome! I'm dying for a Little Swift but am hoping that it will come out in more colors (punch, punch, punch). Is there any chance of that happening soon?

Great photos! These are some of my favorite types of posts It's so interesting to see all of the items that our customers are able to fit into their bags! I love the color of your mini Moleskine notebook too
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0