Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: synapse

Wow, I cannot believe you were able to travel for four weeks in China with just the Synapse. Amazing! TB should offer its own Nobel Prize for that kind of accomplishment.

That is just amazing! I will have to remember this every time I pack for a trip.

Thanks so much! I actually got the idea here: 2011 Unpacking Video - YouTube

I think you've actually done better than the guy in the video in terms of minimalism. Although, I gotta give him props for the Luna sandals.

Super Moderator
    Firewatch: In 2005, I took a trip to China (pre Tom Bihn bag), and I think I may have packed even lighter than you did -- but my trip was only half as long
    I stayed in rather luxurious hotels, didn't pack much in the way of toiletries therefore (I think it was just toothbrush, razor, shave oil, toothpaste, deodorant), and along with some necessary papers / wallet materials (incl. passport) and all my clothing, everything fit into a (conference promotional giveaway) O'Reilly Publishing backpack that could fit under my airline seat. Cheat: I carried my cheap small-SLR-style camera around my neck at all points, did not bring a case for it. It was nerve wracking at points not to have a computer, but I took this trip between employment and entering grad school, so it was a lot less nerve wracking than it would have otherwise been For my next international travel, I am definitely considering the synapse -- you make a good case for it. Then, my Tri-Star is carry-on friendly, too, and the hidable straps I think make it better if it ever must be treated as baggage.

timothy

Quote Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
    Thanks so much! I actually got the idea here: 2011 Unpacking Video - YouTube
    I gave up after three minutes. Did I miss anything?

Absolutely amazing! I'm not sure I could do that (although the Synapse is my go to bag for weekend trips) but it's great to know it worked for you.

Wow Firewatch -- I espouse packing light, and you have my seal of approval!

You should be proud to know that you are among the elite of light packers--I can only think of a small group of people who have managed to travel as lightly as you. Congratulations!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Wow firewatch! I think the only way to pack lighter would be not to pack at all! What did you do for laundry soap while traveling? I notice you don't have any toiletries listed.

@Firewatch--yours is one of the most impressive light packing posts I've ever read!

Wow thank you again for the compliments! Sorry for the delayed response, I thought I was signed up for email updates but they stopped for some reason, blergh.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Firewatch: In 2005, I took a trip to China (pre Tom Bihn bag), and I think I may have packed even lighter than you did -- but my trip was only half as long
    That's terrific! What part(s) of China did you visit? I stayed in one hotel in Hong Kong and I can see how you wouldn't need much, since toiletries and towels and everything (even toothbrush and toothpaste!) are provided.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    I gave up after three minutes. Did I miss anything?
    Haha I couldn't sit through the whole thing either -- I just didn't want to steal credit for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
    Wow firewatch! I think the only way to pack lighter would be not to pack at all! What did you do for laundry soap while traveling? I notice you don't have any toiletries listed.
    I used Dr. Bronner's all-in-one soap as my bath soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent. I would just put my clothes in the loksak (ziploc bag) with water and a few drops of soap to soak. The results were okay, passable (I hope). I had to rub the soap in sometimes to really wash stuff and it doesn't foam up easily. But it does rinse out quickly. And a little goes a long way so I used maybe an ounce total (but I brought 4oz). My other toiletries were: shower cap, razor, crappy folding travel brush (broke by the end), deodorant, small hair gel, 2 or 3 bandaids, chapstick, small moisturizer, travel toothbrush & toothpaste, floss, 2 pairs of earplugs, one stain remover wipe, a few pepto bismol chewables, a few strips of tongue-dissolving cold medicine, a mini-MSR packtowl, and a lunette cup (great for travel and the environment). I also had a hand sanitizer attached to one of the Synapse zippers, which I was told was very American. I did wish I had more cold medicine with me when I got sick -- the medicine in China is either "herbal" (pills) or traditional.

I'll have to figure out how to squeeze my laptop in for future trips -- yikes.

My favorite Synapse wins again for a 10 day summer institute trip: I need to take quite a bit: lots of teaching materials; more clothes than usual since I am staying in the residence halls of a university--it is going to be hot (Dallas, TX!)--and it is going to be hard to do laundry. I have a small carry on. Managed all that. I have been flip flopping between the Smart Alec and Synapse as the second carry on bag. I still think I am amazed at how well the Synapse packs. I put in a 1inch hard binder with stuff; MacBook Air 11 inch in a case; a Rhodia notebook; two pairs of glasses in hard cases. Chargers for Iphone and MBAir in 2 small pouches; 2 mini pouches with money and other assorted cards. A small water bottle in the pocket. And there is room to spare. It all fit in of course in the Smart Alec: but somehow, it does not carry as well. I find that the Smart Alec travels best when it is full: with the vertical organizer, my Backpack packing cube, and the MacBook Air, it is fantastic. Not otherwise. As someone else said, an underpacked Smart Alec is not the same as an overpacked Synapse!!!

Hi Everyone,

I just got my Synapse yesterday. I really like the design. However, the side and bottom of the main compartment do not have Dyneema/nylon fabric. I wonder why. It would be looking nicer and holding the bottom better.

What your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Luan

I moved my question into Synapse question Subject.

Am I right in thinking a Synapse will NOT fit a 15" laptop, even in just a Cache? (I have a MacBook Pro at home, Lenovo Thinkpad for work.) I kind of want a Synapse, but this may be a deal breaker for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0