Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Western Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Holy moly, you pack a lot of clothes!!!

Do you think you could pack with fewer tops?
    Hmmm...what would you suggest? 3 tops and 2 tanks (the tanks are for layering.) Two sweaters (lightweight) seem reasonable, no?
    I remember reading your 'utra minimalist packing list' on your site, so maybe I'll have a re-read...

@dorayme: yes, just lightweight pants alone (instead of jeans) would really reduce the weight and girth of the bag. All I have for pants are jeans (in varying colours) so I'll have to start introducing lighter weight options over the coming months/year.
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

Quote Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
    Hmmm...what would you suggest? 3 tops and 2 tanks (the tanks are for layering.) Two sweaters (lightweight) seem reasonable, no?
    I remember reading your 'utra minimalist packing list' on your site, so maybe I'll have a re-read...

@dorayme: yes, just lightweight pants alone (instead of jeans) would really reduce the weight and girth of the bag. All I have for pants are jeans (in varying colours) so I'll have to start introducing lighter weight options over the coming months/year.

I find this the ideal number of clothes.

One has to be able to mix and match a wardrobe and there is always the time when the weather or a dash through the airport makes one sweat.
    This means that one top, is out of commission unless one does sink washing right away.

Sink washing is doable when one is traveling at a leisurely pace but add children needs or deadlines for events, meetings and conferences, then, evening time is just busy.

Either, finding snacks and/or calming activities for children so they can sleep.

Brushing up on next day presentation, set up wardrobe (many times that means ironing), toiletries and repack the conference/meeting/event bag for the next day, takes time.

I am not a morning person, so I have to do all that in the evening.

I also have to make sure to get a wake up call to get to the breakfast area early enough to get to my destination or the airport on time.

I also need to eat at a reasonable time before bedtime.

Sometimes, two tops are just not enough.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-11-2011 at 06:20 PM.

ThisIsMe - such a help to see the comparison lists! There are times when you have to pack more, but still want to take one bag, even if it will be a little bulky or you have to sit on it to get it to close!

I find it easier to pack for winter travel. Plus I take items from "Icebreaker" brand that are light weight, warm, and can be hand washed. Also, I'm boring and tend to pack all black for clothing!

@backpack @lani -- the thing is, let's say I remove 2 or 3 tops from the list. The net loss in terms of weight/bulk isn't much at all. It barely puts a dent in the overall size and weight of the bag. So, my feeling was, hey, why not add a couple more tops in case I come across hotter or colder than expected weather? If I could get some good pants (maybe leggings?) to use instead of jeans, that would make a big dent.
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    ThisIsMe - such a help to see the comparison lists! There are times when you have to pack more, but still want to take one bag, even if it will be a little bulky or you have to sit on it to get it to close!

I find it easier to pack for winter travel. Plus I take items from "Icebreaker" brand that are light weight, warm, and can be hand washed. Also, I'm boring and tend to pack all black for clothing!
    I love icebreaker! Aside from the really nice clothhing, my brother lives in NZ so I have an affinity to this brand :-)
    Another brand I'm really loving is "Lole" with an umlaut on the 'e'. They have polyester/wool blend clothing - doesn't smell or wrinkle. Dries quickly. Stylish (IMO). :-)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

I love icebreaker! Aside from the really nice clothhing, my brother lives in NZ so I have an affinity to this brand :-)
    Another brand I'm really loving is "Lole" with an umlaut on the 'e'. They have polyester/wool blend clothing - doesn't smell or wrinkle. Dries quickly. Stylish (IMO). :-)
    Oh thank you for the recommendation ThisIsMe! I appreciate it. I find I can pack a great deal of Icebreaker into my bags, the tops are light and pack small. (I want to visit New Zealand…and I'll bring an empty Wester Flyer to fill it with Icebreaker for the return trip.)

Waves to Ottawa from Toronto!

Cheers!

@backpack @lani -- the thing is, let's say I remove 2 or 3 tops from the list. The net loss in terms of weight/bulk isn't much at all. It barely puts a dent in the overall size and weight of the bag. So, my feeling was, hey, why not add a couple more tops in case I come across hotter or colder than expected weather? If I could get some good pants (maybe leggings?) to use instead of jeans, that would make a big dent.
    Light weight cotton jeans for summer and microfiber pants for a dressier look is what I pack.

You are spot on about the leggings especially for autumn and winter.

Love your lovely wardrobe!

I am copying this from the WF colours thread as it really belongs here...

Okay, I LOVE this bag. In fact my tristar may be looking for a new home very soon! While the packing cube shoulder bag may be useful, I prefer the smaller eagle creek packing cubes so may return this.

I did a test packing this morning:
    in the divided compartment...
    double sided half cube(EC)
    1short sleeve shirt
    1 long sleeve shirt
    1 pullover
    pjs

EC 1/4 cube
    2 ex officio briefs
    3pr socks

ec 1/4 cube
    ipad charger
    camera, charger, extra battery, iPad camera adapter,

spare shoes
    soap, deodorant

In the undivided compartment...
    2 pants (one dress, one travel pants)

Water bottle pocket
    3-1-1 bag
    big pocket - iPad

small pocket - nothing yet but probably travel docs

Total weight??
    TADA!!!!!!! 11lb flat and lots of room for more stuff

Have I said I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this bag???
    Maria likes this.

I brought my WF to the beach to be my drawers in our Travel Trailer. I rarely fly. Most of my travel is via car (truck or minivan), and much of it anymore is time in out Travel Trailer. Our unit has overhead cabinets and bed side wardrobes for hanging clothes, but no drawer for folded clothes in the master bedroom.

I am at the beach for a conference for church, so I need both recreational, casual and somewhat dress clothes. Plus the weather drastically changes through the day here this time of year. I wasn't concerned with packing light this time, just in having the necessary items to be comfortable.

My conference clothes are hanging in my wardrobe, my shoes are hanging on a shoe organizer, so neither of these items made it to my packing list. But here's what's in my Western Flyer:

Front divided pocket nekkid:
    extra packable jacket/windbreaker
    Travel pants
    Leggins
    Small Dyneema op with iPad and iPhone chargers
    Small Cork op with miff
    Mini wasabi with camera
    Charger for camera nekkid because I was grabbing things at the end
    Room to spare

On other side, in PCSB
    Undies x5
    Bras x5
    2 full coverage 2 piece swim suits
    Socks
    Pj's
    Slip
    Spanx
    Room to spare

In other half of bag, folded drawer style vs, bundled because my intention us to live out of the bag for my trip
    Pair of skinny jeans
    Pair of boot cut cords
    4 LS tee/henly style tops
    3 SS tee/lightweight polo tops
    2 cycling skirts
    Pair of cycling shorts with padded Lycra under shorts
    Room to spare

Nothing in the pockets, full sized toiletries fit into a shop bag into the bathroom and other items have been stored ot stashed elsewhere.

My WF is perfect fit to slide into the space under my wardrobe and above the super deep nightstand. The front grab handles make it easy to retrieve and the internal organization helps to keep everything just where it needs to be so that when we are rushing from one activity to the next, it's neat, organized, easy to find, and not wrinkled.

I wouldn't have thought my Western Flyer or any bag for that matter would have been this useful in our TT. I was used to stowing our things and going. I doubt I will travel without it in out TT again, that is unless I am using some other TB bag in it's place!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I wouldn't have thought my Western Flyer or any bag for that matter would have been this useful in our TT. I was used to stowing our things and going. I doubt I will travel without it in out TT again, that is unless I am using some other TB bag in it's place!
    Great idea for the RV! Sounds like a really great solution - and a whole new marketing demographic for TB. ;-) I take my Tristar to the cabin, but it's a bit big when all 4 of us + choc lab + groceries go in one car. Hmmm
    dorayme likes this.

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of the backpack straps vs the handle pocket?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0