Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree17Likes
  • 10 Post By djjr
  • 1 Post By peregrina
  • 3 Post By djjr
  • 2 Post By brendabethman
  • 1 Post By peregrina

Thread: The more I use the A30 the more I love it .... 4 night city break in Hobart, Tasmania

The more I use the A30 the more I love it .... 4 night city break in Hobart, Tasmania

Very pleased to share that I'm fine tuning my packing list each time I use my A30, to the point that on this trip I even had room to spare. Hobart is known as having 4 seasons in one day, so I admit to taking some stuff 'just in case', that I didn't wear but I would have hated to be without had the weather changed.

Overall, I find that carrying the A30 as a backpack suits me better than over the shoulder with the Absolute strap which I find a bit cumbersome at just 5ft5 tall.

My husband is also fine tuning his packing using an A30 and managed great on this trip (albeit with no room to spare).

The more we use the A30's, the better we become at packing and the more we appreciate the size and convenience of the A30 as opposed to the A45.

My packing list for a 5 day city break:

Wore on plane:
    Jeans
    T shirt
    Bliss wrap
    TOM slip on shoes

In a large packing cube:
    2 Icebreaker tanks
    1 long sleeve shirt
    1 3/4 sleeve Icebreaker top
    1 cropped cardi
    1 pair Lululemon cropped pants
    1 Kathmandu merino short sleeve polo
    1 Icebreaker Villa dress
    1 pair of Tencel fabric pants and 2 smart tops (for restaurants in the evening)
    1 umbrella

In a small packing cube:
    pj's
    leggings
    underwear

Side pocket:
    3 x 3D organiser cubes (contacts/glasses, dry toiletries and liquid toiletries)

Side pocket:
    Birkenstock sandals
    Ballet flats

I have a A45 and have always been curious about the combination of 1 large packing cube + 1 small packing cube. Does that mean there would be empty space around the small packing cube (which I assume you put on top of the large one). What would be the advantage of that vs two large packing cubes?
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Hi peregrine, I bought 1 large and 2 small packing cubes with the idea that it would give me a bit more flexibility. On this trip, I only needed to use one of the small cubes. I put the small cube on top of the large cube and the space next to it enabled me to put my personal item (which was my handbag on this trip) into the A30 and take it out once we had boarded the plane (we flew a budget airline that allowed only one piece of carry on). The small cube, if not overpacked, also fits to the side of the large cube when the main compartment zip is undone, releasing more space on top of the large cube.

I like the combo of 1 large and 2 small for packing flexibility also. So I can put big things in the large and separate items into the smaller (say, t-shirts in one and workout clothes in the other. Something along those lines). The small ones are also good for use in smaller bags like backpacks or the Swift if it's a short trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that's a good point - about having to fit your purse in your Aeronaut.
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID