Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By DubbySmurf
  • 5 Post By DubbySmurf
  • 3 Post By timothy
  • 1 Post By bb93fo57
  • 2 Post By adalangdon

Thread: Pants

Pants

I just found this company called BluffWorks that makes travel "dress" pants. I've only read good things about them so I ordered a pair, but does anyone here have experience with them? They're manufactured in New York from Taiwanese fabric I believe which is pretty cool. The price isn't cheap, but compared to some merino wool items it's a good price in my opinion. I'm hoping they are as good as I've heard as they could be perfect for me.
    French Blue BB/Navy Snake Charmer/Coyote DLBC/ Iberian TT

UPDATE: I have received the pants and holy cow. Quality is top notch and fit is amazing. These might be the best fitting pants I have ever worn. I'll see how they hold up on my upcoming trip, but I have high hopes. I will probably buy a few more pairs in different colors as well.

Super Moderator
    They look interesting; I wish they were wool I've come to like certain synthetics (fleece, especially, and I certainly like high-tech jacket fabrics), but the phrase "polyester pants" leaves a bad taste in my mouth. How do they feel? At the price, I'd like them to levitate, too, but from the claims, I think I might be persuaded ... would be nice to travel with one worn and one or possibly two carried pair of pants. How "action oriented" are they? From the pictures, the wearer could outjump and outrun James Bond; do you get that sense while wearing them?

There is one worst failure mode for pants: that is the crotch rip. (An old pair of Levis just split on me a few weeks back -- luckily, it was in a low-embarrassment context ).

Been wearing Bluffs for a few months now. Love them!

Like Timothy, I was skeptical when I saw they were made of polyester, but now I hardly want to wear anything else. The fabric is lightweight, comfortable, durable, and seriously wrinkle-resistant, plus it dries quickly, making Bluffs great for travel.

They work for both dressy and casual situations, continue to look great after multiple wearings, and have lots of thoughtful touches (like a zippered interior pocket inside the left front pocket, a zippered rear pocket, a phone pocket, etc).

I picked up a pair in Charcoal (which has a classic dressy look) and another in Velvet Brown (which has a more casual look, kind of like a dark khaki).

While the price is steeper than I am accustomed to paying for pants, I am sold on their value enough that I am considering ordering a third pair (in Navy). They look smarter than the khakis I used to wear in my casual workplace but are easier to care for. You really could wear them for days in a row without looking rumpled, if you wanted/needed to... a big plus on the road.

Added bonus: Bluffworks' customer service is impeccable. After an initial query, I received a handwritten note from the company founder, and every interaction with customer service since then has been efficient, prompt, personal, and personable. Returns and exchanges are painless.

Some things to be aware of if ordering: since the fabric doesn't stretch at all, it might take some trial and error to hone in on the right sizing. (I found I had to order an inseam length 2" longer than I usually wear or else they looked like highwaters when I sat down or crossed my legs.) Also, the rise is short and the fit pretty slim/athletic.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 12-31-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    Steel Ballistic: WF (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: TS (w/Iberian), S25 (w/Wasabi), DLBC

Men's only?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeboys View Post
    Men's only?
    Ha, that was my first thought too. Sadly, it's dudes only. What I wouldn't give to see trousers like that for women. (I only have 1 dress.)
    Wishlist: New 200D & 400D Dyneema colours; Imago v. 2; more stuff in Black/UV, Steel or Grey/Wasabi, Aubergine/Steel

Regarding the fit, they are very precise and I would say athletic. I prefer this, so it was a plus but be aware of that if you order. I'm short and fat, so I was pleasantly surprised when they came and I wouldn't even need to shorten them! The crotch rip isn't anything I'd be worried about with these pants as the material seems very strong.

Speaking of the material, the polyester doesn't feel super synthetic-y to me. I'm nkt sure how to describe it, but it doesn't feel simsr to wool in my opinion. They are very breathable and comfortable. I'm act silly contemplating ordering a second pair for my trip, but I think I will wait to see how they handle the rigor.

Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    Speaking of the material, the polyester doesn't feel super synthetic-y to me. I'm nkt sure how to describe it, but it doesn't feel simsr to wool in my opinion. They are very breathable and comfortable.
    Agreed. While there's a certain slickness to the polyester, somehow it doesn't feel unpleasantly synthetic.

It took me a day or two to get used to the its particular properties -- all my other clothes are natural fibers, so the slickness and lack of stretch in the fabric felt foreign at first -- but once I adjusted to it and recognized its many advantages, I was pretty thrilled with the pants. Their convenience factor is off the charts.

I've read blog posts in which guys wore nothing but a single pair of Bluffs for a month or something extreme like that. While I haven't gone that far, I've been testing them out by alternating between my two pairs every day for the last two weeks, just to see how they fare. Even without any ironing or washing, they still look presentable and fresh, so I could totally see doing a month or more of travel with just one pair packed and another worn.)

Snarky Nomad's Review ("So these are probably the best travel pants on the planet right now")

Side note: it is a single-product company, with this one model and fabric for the time being, but they are considering branching out a little, according to customer service. An additional fabric with some stretch may be added to their lineup in 2015.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 01-01-2015 at 06:28 AM.
    Steel Ballistic: WF (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: TS (w/Iberian), S25 (w/Wasabi), DLBC