Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree20Likes
  • 4 Post By brendabethman
  • 5 Post By brendabethman
  • 3 Post By Mausermama
  • 2 Post By brendabethman
  • 1 Post By Mausermama
  • 1 Post By brendabethman
  • 1 Post By Mausermama
  • 1 Post By Mausermama

Thread: Academics and their bags

Academics and their bags

A friend of mine started the hashtag #whatacademicscarryintheirbags‬ over on Facebook. Since my bags are TB and I know there are a few academics here, I thought I would share my conference edition posts here on the forums. At the National Women's Studies Association conference in Puerto Rico (from which I just returned), I carried two day bags, an SCB and a DLBP. The SCB held (top row) TSS (size 2) with camera and extra batteries, mini OP with various cards (loyalty, Costco, etc.), case with sunglasses; (middle row) small OP with lip gloss, powder, micro cloth, Shout wipes, hand sanitizer wipes; COW, micro OP used as a change purse; (bottom row) small Moleskine, pen, card holder with credit cards, tissues, lip balm, Altoids. Not pictured: iPhone 5S.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416195636.832657.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  188.7 KB

Second post, featuring the DLBP, which held (top to bottom, from left to right): guide book, granola bars, Altoids, Moleskine notebook; large OP with papers, iPad mini, TSS (size 1 with pens, ibuprofen, tissues, Emergen C); conference program, MacBook Air (11"), and medium OP with cables, dongles, headphones, etc.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416195834.242604.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  216.9 KB

I use the same pen and Moleskine. They are a great combo! And that Azalea is gorgeous! I'm awaiting my new to me DLBP in Burnt Orange. It will probably become EDC for me, as my back persistently complains when I am unbalanced these days. My Imago remains my all time favorite bag, but I can only carry it for short periods of time these days. Thanks for the great photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I use the same pen and Moleskine. They are a great combo! And that Azalea is gorgeous! I'm awaiting my new to me DLBP in Burnt Orange. It will probably become EDC for me, as my back persistently complains when I am unbalanced these days. My Imago remains my all time favorite bag, but I can only carry it for short periods of time these days. Thanks for the great photos!
    I love the Azalea and would buy anything available in it in a heartbeat! The DLBP is great as a day bag. On the day that I played tourist, it easily carried the guide book, water bottle, towel, water shoes, bathing suit, cover up and SSB (in case I bought anything, which I did). And it was comfortable to carry -- much more so than if all that had been in a shoulder bag. I like combining the backpack with an SCB or SE because then I can keep the things I need easy access to in the cross body bag, but without back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    I like combining the backpack with an SCB or SE because then I can keep the things I need easy access to in the cross body bag, but without back pain.
    That's exactly what I plan to do... carry one of my Side Effects or SCB along with my DLBP. Happily enough, all but my Aubergine Side Effect will compliment the Burnt Orange. My SCB is linen, and my other two Side Effects are Nordic and Steel.

That's exactly what I plan to do... carry one of my Side Effects or SCB along with my DLBP. Happily enough, all but my Aubergine Side Effect will compliment the Burnt Orange. My SCB is linen, and my other two Side Effects are Nordic and Steel.
    Have you tried the Aubergine and Burnt Orange together? I think they look quite nice together, actually.

Have you tried the Aubergine and Burnt Orange together? I think they look quite nice together, actually.
    I am thrilled to hear it! I haven't got anything with Burnt Orange, presently. My new-to-me Burnt Orange DLBP (still with tags on!) is winging its way to me via Priority Mail from California. I am over the top excited. I have a trip coming up on Tuesday, and I am so glad I'll be able to use this bag for it. It will be a Western Flyer/DLBP kind of trip (with a side of Black/UV Little Swift for "formal times"). As it's a car trip, I won't have to sweat carrying only two bags, so my DLBP will serve as my knitting/spinning bag, and the Little Swift will be my purse. The Western Flyer will handle the heavy stuff...my clothing and toiletries and shoes.

I am thrilled to hear it! I haven't got anything with Burnt Orange, presently. My new-to-me Burnt Orange DLBP (still with tags on!) is winging its way to me via Priority Mail from California. I am over the top excited. I have a trip coming up on Tuesday, and I am so glad I'll be able to use this bag for it. It will be a Western Flyer/DLBP kind of trip (with a side of Black/UV Little Swift for "formal times"). As it's a car trip, I won't have to sweat carrying only two bags, so my DLBP will serve as my knitting/spinning bag, and the Little Swift will be my purse. The Western Flyer will handle the heavy stuff...my clothing and toiletries and shoes.
    I'm at work right now, but I'll try to remember to take a pic of the two together when I get home tonight. I've got the Burnt Orange MCB (DLBP is on my wish list. Hoping Santa brings me one :-)

@Mausermama Here is a pic of my aubergine SE and burnt orange DLBP. Both colors are hard to photograph, but hopefully it helps a bit. They really are lovely together.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416280863.685721.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  216.1 KB

@Mausermama Here is a pic of my aubergine SE and burnt orange DLBP. Both colors are hard to photograph, but hopefully it helps a bit. They really are lovely together.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416280863.685721.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  216.1 KB
    It's a shame I can only like this one time! You're right, the combination is quite lovely! I can hardly wait to get my bit of Burnt Orange! Thank you so much for the photo!