Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 4 Post By Toblerhaus
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By bermudajes
  • 3 Post By carl0
  • 3 Post By haraya
  • 3 Post By Toblerhaus
  • 8 Post By haraya

Thread: Aeronaut for extended travel featured in "The Art of Simple Travel."

Aeronaut for extended travel featured in "The Art of Simple Travel."

Forgive me if this has already been shared elsewhere. I was pleased to see this women's packing list for extended travel on one of the blogs I follow: The Art of Simple Travel.

Link here: The Art of Simple Travel

Super pleased to see that gorgeous Aeronaut 45 as her bag of choice! I haven't analyzed her packing list, but it looks pretty good at first glance.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

I hope her entire family is going to have TB bags!
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

She posted a pick of a trial pack on Instagram with a black Aeronaut... so maybe they DO all have TB bags. The S19 seems like it would be great for a kid.
    eWalker likes this.
    much love for parapack

<< The S19 seems like it would be great for a kid. >>

Or a Dad.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    The S19 seems like it would be great for a kid.
    My (small, like 10th percentile) 6yo liked the idea of the (Cordura) S19, but in practice balked at carrying it thru the airport when it contained anything more than a notebook, some pencils, and a long-sleeved shirt. In contrast, we've been walking to school all week (0.8 miles), and he's carried his nylon pack fully loaded without complaint. Some of that is familiarity, granted, but also, due to the structure of the S19, it sits further from his spine especially when loaded. (The S19 is 5 oz/140 gr heavier than the REI Tarn, but I used it on our trip partly because I couldn't get everything into the REI.) So I think it will suit DS a bit better in a year or two. (No fear, I wasn't going to get rid of the S19!! )

Back to the original topic... I LOVE that Aeronaut she posted. Is it Plum, or Aubergine?

My kids are 9 and 11, and pretty small body builds. They carry S19s for short trips. We keep it on the smallest (tightest) setting, and it still only works best for light loads and shorter durations. I love knowing that the backpacks will work for them for years on end. For a duration beyond a couple of days, we use a small roller bag for them. It helps avoid incessant whining about their backpack being too heavy. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Toblerhaus - good to know! The 10yo had a rolling backpack (AND a huge backpack... I have not yet succeeded in drawing her to the light side of packing ), but the 6yo did not. Am thinking the rollers are the way to go, next time! (Now if only I could convince the 10yo to leave her pillow pet at home for plane trips...)

ETA: Here's DS in the Turkish airport. He's 40 lbs and let's say 50 inches/125 cm tall. I did love the O-rings for him - I put his Lego in a Travel Tray, on a key strap to the interior O-ring, and never worried that it would fall out unnoticed. Also super-easy to find DS' jacket or his toothbrush, even in cramped quarters on the plane, as each thing had its own dedicated pocket. (DH complained though that "Tom" never told him which pocket was for what thing - he had to ask me each time where stuff was. By the end of the trip he was referring to "Tom" as my boyfriend and saying that he had insinuated himself into our lives, lol!! )

Name:  photo(8).JPG
Views: 716
Size:  125.6 KB

(I am not sure why the picture is sideways?? It's vertical on my screen and on my phone...)
    Last edited by haraya; 08-31-2014 at 04:22 AM.