Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754

    Fly Bookshelves: Considering options on Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes Setup

    Considering options on Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes Setup-fly-bookshelves-jpg

    From TomBihn.com page on Packing Cubes...
    End Pocket Packing Cube: One fills each end pocket, or four can fill the main compartment, like books on a shelf.

    Is anyone using this particular configuration of four EPPC or PCSB in the main compartment of the Aeronaut 45?

    Maybe use one PC for each day on a four day trip? What do you think?

    Curious to find possible uses for a setup like this!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-28-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    So much to catch up!

  2. #2
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    I was taking notes to write a comparative post about the various A45 packing cube setups and found this discrepancy.

    At the Dimensions of All Packing Cubes page it says that the A45 Large Packing Cube is 350 x 350 x 150 mm - 110 g - 17.6 liters and at the Weight, Volume and Dimensions page it says 340 x 340 x 110mm - 110 g - 12 liters !!

    That makes 11.2 liters difference on the capacity for main compartment of the Aeronaut 45!

    The small and end pocket cubes have different values too!

    Small - 8.3 x 6 liters
    End - 7.5 x 5 liters

    I already sent an email to TB Costumer Support and got a answer that they will take new measures to know what are the right dimensions.

    I spotted that because when I added up the volume of 2 LPC with 2 EPPP, I came out with 50.2 liters, greater volume then the Aeronaut 45, itself. So I filled up the cubes, placed then on the A45 and was a perfect fit.

    So if you are making any math based on capacity of the cubes, better wait a bit for the new official measurements.
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-25-2015 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Tapatalk visualization problems
    So much to catch up!

  3. #3
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    But back on the subject of End Pocket Packing Cube configurations...

    Considering options on Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes Setup-eppc-jpg

    Using 4 EPPC in main compartment of the A45 has some advantages:

    . Unblocked access to all content - you donīt have to remove any layer to get your stuff
    . Bag may be opened while standing on either side - the content will not fall out
    . Content may be removed while in backpack mode - if you remove the bottom cube, the others will slide down and you may put it back on the top
    . May keep you bag standing on those skinny hostel wardrobes - and still have easy access to the content

    If I must give you a disadvantage for this setup... is that is harder to see the packing cube content... For me the advantages are much greater then the disadvantages! What do you think?
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-25-2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Tapatalk visualization problems
    So much to catch up!

  4. #4
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    Still in the topic of vertical placement, another valuable packing aid is the Clear Quarter Packing Cube.

    Two of then will replace the EPPC in any position perfectly.

    Considering options on Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes Setup-cqpc1-jpg

    Just make sure to place it so handles face outward!

    Considering options on Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes Setup-cqpc2-jpg

    I know it sounds like a silly remind but, because the EPPC handles are positioned on the top, the first I tried to use the CQPC, I could only think of putting it in handle up position, and like that it will not fit two without squeezing and smashing it!

    Placing it on the end pocket makes a great option to quick access medicines and/or snacks when the A45 is placed in the over head bin.

    I am impressed, of how many aspects/details TB has considered when building his products that we only realize when using it, or just donīt notice at all because it feel just so right, like the

    main compartment zippered flap!

    main compartment zippered flap!

    Last edited by eWalker; 01-25-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Visualization problems inTapatalk
    So much to catch up!

  5. #5
    Volunteer Moderator Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Posts
    2,074
    eWalker for some reason your packing-style reminds me of this: Image:Fill a Pez Dispenser Step 5.JPG - wikiHow

    I just added small Packing Qubes to my list. Yesterday I had one for my Night Flight DF added due to this post: Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses from ceepee.

    I would never have tried this (both) on my own, so thanks for thinking out of the box.
    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

    By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    24
    I am starting to trend away from the large packing cubes too. Of course, my bags never look as neat. I am always packing around shoes, hats , gifts, and other awkwardly shaped items. Small cubes just accommodate that kind of packing better than the large compartment filling type. I am currently hunting down all my stuff sacks for my next trip. It would lend itself to separation between warm and light clothing, but currently most of it fits into a laundry stuff sack. I am quite fond of it, but of course a sack doesn't pack as nicely as a cube either.

  7. #7
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    eWalker for some reason your packing-style reminds me of this: Image:Fill a Pez Dispenser Step 5.JPG - wikiHow
    LOL !!! I canīt defend myself on that one !!

    The started reading the Forum, I was always looking for solutions "Me and I all by myself" but then I started to read the posts, join the talks, my friends started to ask me about bags, and I stopped dismissing things just because was not my piece of cake.

    So on the premiss that, this or that may be useful to somebody else, I started to considered more possibilities and because I learn so much here, I am trying to give something it back.

    Like on this post on my "TB Capsule Travel Set" thread where @Yoda Shoth pinpointed what has becomed my goal in bag packing, creating a simple and easy to remember, mental blueprint of my packing.

    My father would call this "organize as if you were blind". He used to brag that he was able to find everything and anything on his office with his eyes closed. I will be absolutely content if I can only do this with my carry-on!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I just added small Packing Qubes to my list. Yesterday I had one for my Night Flight DF added due to this post: Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses from ceepee.

    I would never have tried this (both) on my own, so thanks for thinking out of the box.
    Ilkyway

    I added an extra NFTD packing cube to my wish list because of him too! Still have to gave him the enabling points for that!
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-25-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    So much to catch up!

  8. #8
    Forum Member ceepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    If I must give you a disadvantage for this setup... is that is harder to see the packing cube content... For me the advantages are much greater then the disadvantages! What do you think?
    You could colour code the cubes to denote content using paracord, tied on the handles. Or attach key rings to them if you prefer a written reminder, these might work:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    I am starting to trend away from the large packing cubes too.
    @Dee, the Large Cubes is Packing 101, mandatory class!

    According to my experience so far, this main compartment configurations:

    • 2 LPC
    • 1 LPC + 2 SPC
    • 4 SPC
    • 2 PCBP
    • 1 PCBP + 1 LPC
    • 1 PCBP + 2 SPC


    Those are great when you are moving your cloths & shoes from one wardrobe to another.

    For example, me and my mother going to my mother sister home to spend a bit more then a weekend. I would consider one of those, because I would pack at home, unpack at my destiny, put our cloths in a wardrobe until time to come back. I would most probably favor a configurations with a PCBP to cover any small side trips.

    The large cubes are so big that I sometimes bundle pack with then instead of

    roll packing!

    roll packing!

    But YMMV

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    Of course, my bags never look as neat. I am always packing around shoes, hats , gifts, and other awkwardly shaped items. Small cubes just accommodate that kind of packing better than the large compartment filling type. I am currently hunting down all my stuff sacks for my next trip. It would lend itself to separation between warm and light clothing, but currently most of it fits into a laundry stuff sack. I am quite fond of it, but of course a sack doesn't pack as nicely as a cube either.
    Packing 102, would be trying to live out the bag, still limited to cloths & shoes! Thatīs the level I am struggling to master.

    My guess is that you are already at Packing 103 or beyond! Thatīs already advanced class! I wouldnīt dare to deal with awkwardly shaped items yet!

    When you pack next time, take some pictures, and share with us. I donīt have a clue on how to pack a hat!
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-25-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Visualisation problems in Tapatalk
    So much to catch up!

  10. #10
    Forum Member bradnd99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    117
    I've been considering ordering packing cubes for my Aeronaut and this thread just made it more complicated.

    I've been using a combination of an Eagle Creek pack it
    Folder and some Ebags packing cubes. They work but I've wondered if the Tom Bihn ones will be more efficient.

  11. #11
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    I've been considering ordering packing cubes for my Aeronaut and this thread just made it more complicated.

    I've been using a combination of an Eagle Creek pack it
    Folder and some Ebags packing cubes. They work but I've wondered if the Tom Bihn ones will be more efficient.
    Hi @bradnd99

    I know and have used EC pack it system (specially the specter line) and EB packing cubes. EC video about how to pack a carry-on for a 10 days (both male and female versions) gave me the push I needed to start to use packing organizers!

    The great thing about TB packing cubes is that they are a perfect fit to the bags internal space, with some options optimized for vertical placement (as posted above) and are really made to last.

    If you give some idea of your packing list, I (and other fellow Forum members) may be able to help you to choose a TB packing cube set for you).

    But even without this knowledge, my advice for you is to start with 3 packing cubes... 1 PCBP and 2 all fabric EPPC.

    This will not fill completely your Aeronaut nor replace your current set but will play nicely with what you already use and double fold your options of configurations.

    You may use the PCBP or a LPC with your folder on the main compartment and probably still have space for bits and odds.

    You may use the 2 EPPC for shoes or clothes (clean or dirty) in the end pockets or you may use then to fill half of the main compartment so you may use it along with EB cubes.

    HTH
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-26-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    So much to catch up!

  12. #12
    Forum Member bradnd99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    117

    Considering options on Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes Setup

    Thanks for the help @eWalker. I have a trip in Feb and I'll try again with my current set but will keep in mind this post because I may figure out what I could use to improve my system.

    My trip in Feb is 4 days of business, 3 of work, so it will be a nice challenge to figure out how I can pack in such a way to keep clean from dirty, and work separate from play.
    Last edited by bradnd99; 01-25-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: didnt finish

  13. #13
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    You could colour code the cubes to denote content using paracord, tied on the handles. Or attach key rings to them if you prefer a written reminder, these might work:
    Hi @ceepee!

    Before anything else, thanks for the tip on fitting the extra NFTD packing cube! Enabling points to you for making my wish list bigger!

    I am using color coded paracord zipper pulls (actually planning, because they didn't arrived yet) to identify what pc belongs to each bag, so your suggestion of keyrings will just fit the bill!!

    Thanks for sharing!!
    So much to catch up!

  14. #14
    Forum Member eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    Thanks for the help @eWalker. I have a trip in Feb and I'll try again with my current set but will keep in mind this post because I may figure out what I could use to improve my system.

    My trip in Feb is 4 days of business, 3 of work, so it will be a nice challenge to figure out how I can pack in such a way to keep clean from dirty, and work separate from play.
    @bradnd99

    Besides the packing cubes, you may want to take a look at the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack!
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-26-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    So much to catch up!

  15. #15
    Forum Member ceepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Hi @ceepee!

    Before anything else, thanks for the tip on fitting the extra NFTD packing cube! Enabling points to you for making my wish list bigger!

    I am using color coded paracord zipper pulls (actually planning, because they didn't arrived yet) to identify what pc belongs to each bag, so your suggestion of keyrings will just fit the bill!!

    Thanks for sharing!!
    Hi eWalker,

    I think the enabling points will be cancelled out since I've now added extra A30 end compartment packing cubes to my wish list due to your post I hope the TB crew are paying attention so the sudden rush on packing cubes doesn't take them by surprise

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •