Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Kifaru Backpacks - While I've used their packs for years for my military travels, there is no doubt their camping line is as equally tough. I've literally taken Kifaru bags through some of the spots rarely found on the top ten lists for friendly vacation spots: Baghdad, Iraq, Kosovo, Panama, Afghanistan...you get the point. Built to nearly bombproof standards, made in the USA and with great customer service. I guess they are the Tom Bihns of tactical packs!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    Avene SPF 50+ sunscreen.....

But for those still reading on, the hands-down best cosmetics company I know is by Julie Hewett.
    Thanks - those are great recommendations! I have very fair skin, and even though we're in the Pacific Northwest, a good sunscreen is important. I've been hearing about sunscreens from Europe for a while but didn't know I could actually order them...woohoo!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Great to read all of the interesting posts re: Anderson-Little blazers. If any of you order one of their blazers, be sure to let us know what you think!

This women's career wear line looks promising:
    http://www.rochellebehrenscollection.com/
    (Made in USA, fabric from France.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Darcy:

Every man and woman in business today should have at least one
    or may be two dark navy blazers in their closet. Great classic
    look and flexible product...think of an expensive blazer as an
    investment item.

In this case, buy the best and cry once.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Save Our Setters

While not necessarily a brand, or even stuff, I would like to plug <a href="http://www.saveoursetters.org/index.html">Save Our Setters</a> - a rescue organization for Irish, Irish Red & White, English, and Gordon Setters. We volunteer for them as a foster home and have successfully placed two dogs from our foster.

They are a truly fine, non-profit, organization. They work with dogs nationwide and Canada (and other places from time to time). If you are thinking of getting a specific breed of dog - check one of the many breed-specific rescue groups. If you have the time and resources please consider volunteering as a foster home or for transportation duties. Or consider a donation to sponsor a dog in need.

It is sometimes heartbreaking to see what people can do to a dog, but it is equally rewarding to see what dedicated people can do FOR a dog as well. Helping a single dog may not change the world, but it can certainly change the world for that dog.

And if you just want to feel good for a moment about the basic goodness of dogs and humanity, check out the story of <a href="http://www.saveoursetters.org/CloudGA2007December.html">Cloud</a> - the Irish Setter who Could! It may just be the most heartwarming story on the old internet.
    Jim Hall
    Check out the dogs in need at http://www.saveoursetters.org
    Check out my blog at http://jehingr.wordpress.com/
    Check out our videos at www.marqueewrestling.com
    My TB bags: 2 - Empire Builder 1 - Checkpoint Flyer

Super Moderator

Meta recommendation: Cool Tools

Kevin Kelly is one of the guys associated with the old Whole Earth Catalog, among other projects. He has a site I've been a fan of for years (disclosure: have also been published there two or three times, which is the only place I've been published in common with William Gibson, which is of course a silly claim, but still fun) called Cool Tools, and it's an excellent place to see more of the "quality items" theme.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/

Warning: Cool Tools can be a HUGE time sink, at least for me. As I read through it, I've more than once thought that if I were rich enough, I'd like to just have "one of each" sent to me, as products are reviewed there (Or maybe "one of each after a quick right of refusal" )

timothy

More Coffee...

Ok, so apparently the only thing I post is regarding coffee (anyone see a trend here?)

I live in Chicago, and recently found this local roaster that produces really great, quality local beans:

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

I still get my Ravensbrew for a treat, but for supporting local small business, you can't go wrong.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    The Brain Bag was once recommended in Cool Tools! I hope we are included again someday...Cool Tools is great.

Quote Originally Posted by brantroz View Post
    Ok, so apparently the only thing I post is regarding coffee (anyone see a trend here?)
    A question for the coffee expert: my absolute most favorite coffee ever is Peet's Major Dickason's blend..I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it's pretty much the only coffee I drink. I drink it black and enjoy every minute of it! If I wanted to expand my horizons, is there a Ravensbrew or Metropolis Coffee blend you'd recommend?

Coffee recommendation...

Darcy,

Let's see if I can do this justice. Peet's Major Dickanson is a full-bodied balanced blend.

I too drink it black, and it is absolutely all a part of the morning ritual. I won't claim to be an expert--but I have tried most of the blends from both sources, and definitely have some favorites. Oh, and don't be afraid to Branch Out!! The great thing about so many good boutique roasters these days, is that some of them are really able to hit niche, local origin coffee with very interesting characteristics. A good roast should be smooth, but subtly distinct. I have listed 3 favorites from each, which I can wholeheartedly recommend:

Raven's Brew:
    Deadman's Reach
    Ebony Pearls French Roast
    Organic Mahogany Sweets

Metropolis:
    Redline Espresso Roast
    Cordillera
    French Roast

Let me know if you have more specific questions!

-Brandon

Super Moderator

Bihn at Cool Tools

Darcy wrote:
    The Brain Bag was once recommended in Cool Tools! I hope we are included again someday...Cool Tools is great.
    Darcy:

I've been considering a writeup of the Super Ego -- I have as well a Brain Bag (which was on CT before), so I think I could make a relevant comparative review, and have had a few items published there.

Cheers,

timothy

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I've been considering a writeup of the Super Ego -- I have as well a Brain Bag (which was on CT before), so I think I could make a relevant comparative review, and have had a few items published there.
    That would be very cool! Please let us know if you submit the writeup.

Quote Originally Posted by brantroz
    A good roast should be smooth, but subtly distinct. I have listed 3 favorites from each, which I can wholeheartedly recommend:
    Thank you!! Time to do some ordering and coffee experimenting. Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    Every man and woman in business today should have at least one
    or may be two dark navy blazers in their closet. Great classic
    look and flexible product...think of an expensive blazer as an
    investment item.
    It's difficult to find women's blazers/jackets made in USA.

New recommendation: Guittard Chocolate. Their chocolate is still made in San Francisco. It's the best baking chocolate (cocoa powder, chocolate disks, chips) that I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    A question for the coffee expert: my absolute most favorite coffee ever is Peet's Major Dickason's blend..I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it's pretty much the only coffee I drink. I drink it black and enjoy every minute of it! If I wanted to expand my horizons, is there a Ravensbrew or Metropolis Coffee blend you'd recommend?
    If you really want to be adventurous you could try to roast the beans yourself. It's not hard really. I use Sweet Marias for my supplies. They have a system for their tasting of the beans and write a very complete report each time. Only problem is that they deal with small lots so it's common for them to run out.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    If you really want to be adventurous you could try to roast the beans yourself. It's not hard really. I use Sweet Marias for my supplies. They have a system for their tasting of the beans and write a very complete report each time. Only problem is that they deal with small lots so it's common for them to run out.
    That's pretty cool: I had no idea people roasted their own beans.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0