Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    Click http://www.chuckroast.com/ to view. Great quality at competitive prices.
    And some of it is made of Malden Mills fleece, too!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I didn't think this was possible but I've found a company that makes stuffed animals in Canada.
    Stuffed Animal House makes high-quality stuffed animals in Canada. (Some of the stuffed animals are made in China -- email them to ask which aren't. Some of the animals made in Canada include: 33" and 50" Bellyflop Bears (all furs), 32" Ranger Moose, Raccoon & Bear, 48" Floppy Moose.) An excellent holiday gift for kids not made by kids.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Need a quality sleeping bag made in the USA, click http://www.wiggys.com/ and http://www.featheredfriends.com/Default.aspx
    to learn more.
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 11-05-2007 at 01:44 PM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Need a quality sleeping bag made in the USA, click http://www.wiggys.com/ and http://www.featheredfriends.com/Default.aspx
    to learn more.
    That's cool. Wiggy's makes inexpensive dog beds, too.
    Western Mountaineering sleeping bags are also made in the U.S.A.

P.S. For boots and shoes, we can't forget Frye, all made in U.S.A.
    Last edited by Darcy; 11-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Darcy, Wiggy is a bit of a character. You can read his rants against
    his industry on his website. He once spent an hour on the phone with
    me talking about politics, he's a big Ann Rand fan.
    Travel Lite & Smart

Darcy, Wiggy is a bit of a character. You can read his rants against
    his industry on his website. He once spent an hour on the phone with
    me talking about politics, he's a big Ann Rand fan.
    Uh-oh! That's enough for me.

Actually the Wiggy stuff I've seen (I've been a backpacker and whitewater canoeist in the past and own equipment from an assortment of companies but not Wiggy) is well made but can only be described as "cruder than a stone ax". The thing that makes the products from Tom Bihn stand out is the thoughtful and elegant design. Something Wiggy and some other "Made in America" evangelists omit. I don't care where a product is manufactured as long as it meets my expectations.
    Last edited by GaryS; 11-05-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    The thing that makes the products from Tom Bihn stand out is the thoughtful and elegant design.
    That's a good point. Just because something is made in the U.S.A. (or other countries with safety, environmental, and labor standards) doesn't mean it's a good product. But when I find something that has thoughtful, attractive design, is made out of fine materials, and is made in countries that have environmental/safety/labor laws and regulations, I feel that much better about it.

Great thread! How about beyondclothing.com? Made-to-order, custom-fitted, made in the USA outdoor clothing at reasonable prices!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Great thread! How about beyondclothing.com? Made-to-order, custom-fitted, made in the USA outdoor clothing at reasonable prices!
    I'm actually thinking about getting one of their softshell jackets right now, but I'm a bit strapped for cash after all my Tom Bihn orders... So how are their jackets? I just wish I could try on a sample or something first before ordering.

I've been looking for a new Gortex jacket and pants, made in USA or Canada, that wouldn't feel like a hefty bag on me (because every jacket I try seems huge for my frame). Perfect. And they are in Seattle!

I thought the prices were just insane until I realized they do custom fitting. I'm tempted by this but it is probably geared for cooler weather than I ever see. Still, a nice thin breathable shell for running in the 30s to 40s is something I've wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I thought the prices were just insane until I realized they do custom fitting. I'm tempted by this but it is probably geared for cooler weather than I ever see. Still, a nice thin breathable shell for running in the 30s to 40s is something I've wanted.
    I thought the same thing until I started looking at other softshell jackets. Some of them are more expensive but without the custom fit. I think some of their lighter jackets can be worn year round, or at least most of it. The pit zip vents that they offer on some jackets would probably make them even more versatile.

If the jackets are of excellent quality, I don't think that they are expensive, custom or not. There's a lot that goes into clothing like that and you pay extra for quality and the assurance that the people who made the jacket make a fair wage. A jacket like that is something you should have for years and years and years, unlike cheaper stuff that might break or fall apart within months.

I don't think that they are expensive, custom or not either. In fact, for
    high-end quality gear the prices seem very reasonable to me.

Wintergreendesigns.com has much higher prices for US-made jackets.
    Travel Lite & Smart

After living in a warm weather climate for a long time I guess my pricing of winter performance gear is off. Whatever I buy lasts a very long time because it barely gets much use. I'm sure if I got more use out of this type of gear I'd start to see flaws in the cheap stuff and the value of the high quality stuff.

Then again, I don't think I've ever purchased a custom anything when it comes to clothing. Kind of seems like something too fancy for a guy who likes to wear jeans and a t-shirt. But I am going to read up on it because it might be great for jogging on cold mornings.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0