Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

AppleTV just dropped to $69

Hey road warriors out there! Especially mobile presenters! Apple made a major announcement at their recent "Spring Forward" public event at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco.

Did you see that Apple just slashed the price of their AppleTV set-top device to just $69? Wow.

I understand that these things are handy for road warriors, especially those into mobile presentations.

On these forums, ScottE22 released a demo video a couple of years ago that showed how a Synapse 25 (with accessories) could be useful in a mobile-office scenario.

The recent price drop, which now makes a new AppleTV cheaper than a refurbished one was just a couple weeks ago, makes the possibility of mobile office computing and presentations even more affordable.

Apple Lowers Price of Apple TV to $69 - Mac Rumors
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    I have an Apple TV for each screen in my house and it's a fantastic little device. We rent movies from iTunes and use it to stream Netflix and Crackle (Jerry Seinfeld's web series, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee). It's AirPlay capability is great and we use it to show photos from our iPhones... Kind of like a higher technology version of the slide projector (for those of us old enough to remember the era of 35mm slides)

I'm sure it will be great for business travelers who use an iPad for presentations... But I think for AirPlay to work the Apple TV and iPad / iPhone need to be on the same wifi network.

At the new lower price it's an easy to justify purchase

Thanks for the heads up! I love my AppleTV and picking up a second one will be in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Forum Member
    I have a question for Apple TV users....I'm getting an Ipad Mini for my travels and want to know if I use Apple TV would I be able to stream movies from my Dropbox app on the Ipad to my hotel's TV? Or from other video players besides the one Apple provides on the device?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I have a question for Apple TV users....I'm getting an Ipad Mini for my travels and want to know if I use Apple TV would I be able to stream movies from my Dropbox app on the Ipad to my hotel's TV? Or from other video players besides the one Apple provides on the device?
    I have no idea! I'm not home right now so I can't test it, unfortunately. I usually just send Amazon Prime movies from iPad to Apple TV or connect directly to Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Forum Member
    I'm just getting started with an iPad Mini, just beginning to get it set up and studying the basics.

Id love to explore its video and slideshow transmission capabilities eventually. So count me down as another inquiring mind.

Is ScottE22 still active on these forums? I think he does that kind of thing all the time. He might have answers aplenty.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Hi all - I can't speak in any official capacity, but if the app supports AirPlay, you can stream it to an Apple TV. This is up to the developer and I have no personal experience with playing video from Dropbox.

With the most current Apple TV model, you also get peer to peer Airplay so you do not need to be connected to a wifi network to Airplay content from your ios or os x device to your Apple TV. This works great in a hotel so you don't need to be on their network.

2013 Apple TV revision gets its first exclusive feature: iOS 8’s Peer-to-Peer AirPlay | 9to5Mac
    Last edited by ScottE22; 03-11-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Possible - but the ATV and iPad need to be connected to the same wifi network. The easiest solution I've come across is using an airport express that is a clone of the home network. This way there is no need to reconfigure the ATV or iPad since it sees it as your home network. A few drawbacks - more to buy, more to carry, hopefully hotel room has a cable network connection to plug into airport express if you want to get to the internet, etc.

I think others on the board tote an ATV and an airport express for presentations. What's in my bag

Forum Member
    Thanks, nyhoosier, for linking to ScottE22's discussion thread with demo video. Just a suggestion everyone: I heartily recommend visiting that discussion thread, watching ScottE22's video, and reading what people had to say. It's very informative.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhoosier View Post
    Possible - but the ATV and iPad need to be connected to the same wifi network. The easiest solution I've come across is using an airport express that is a clone of the home network. This way there is no need to reconfigure the ATV or iPad since it sees it as your home network. A few drawbacks - more to buy, more to carry, hopefully hotel room has a cable network connection to plug into airport express if you want to get to the internet, etc.

I think others on the board tote an ATV and an airport express for presentations. What's in my bag
    Hi again - I do want to add that with the most recent Apple TV (the 1080p model released 2+ years ago - it will say A1469 on the bottom) you do not need to be on the same wireless network to AirPlay from an iOS device or a Mac. This was the case, and I did carry an AirPort Express for this purpose, but it is now possible to direct connect which is the method I recommend as it is not dependent on the quality and stability of the "host" network.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)