Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Ethernet attachment

A few months ago, my parents acquired a late-model refurbished MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display. This model does not have an Ethernet plug-in port.

99.99% of the time, this omission does not matter. On rare occasion, however, they may need to plug-into a wired setup. Will this device (linked below) allow them to do that?

USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit RJ45 Ethernet External Network Card LAN Adapter - Rakuten.com

Thanks in advance.

--MtnMan
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Super Moderator
    MtnMan: I'm using a similar one with my MacBook Air, and mine works well. (It's slightly cheaper, too.) Amazon.com: Cable Matters USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Adapter in Black: Computers & Accessories

These seem to be standardized enough these days that I'd expect any random one to work ...

Forum Member
    Apple also makes one that plugs into the thunderbolt port. The one you linked seems like a better choice than the one Timothy suggests since it offers up to gigabit speeds and USB 3.0

Super Moderator
    I agree -- the one MtnMan linked looks great, is a spec bump over mine. (Mine works well for me, though, since my own network use doesn't begin to reach its limits, so if it was lost, say, I'd probably re-buy it over a similar, faster one if it saved a few bucks.)

Forum Member
    Thanks. It's a once-in-a-Blue-Moon accessory, but when it's needed, it's indispensable.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.