Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Photography Gear for a Minimalistic Traveller, Help very much needed!!

Hi Guys!

Staring this year I plan to visit some very "scenic" locations in South America.

Mainly, Bonito (Brazil) in May...

Name:  Bonito Gruta do Lago Azul_thumb[4].jpg
Views: 479
Size:  134.1 KB

Machu Picchu (Peru) in September...

Name:  travel-photography-gear.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  96.7 KB

But I really don´t want to be overloaded by gear...

Name:  20130531-01-TravelPhotography.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  49.9 KB

At the same time I really need to reconsider my photography equipment to improve my photographies!

I am searching to buy a new camera (or cell phone) and related equipment (notebook or tablet included) that will fit my purpose of being a carry-on only traveler.

In the past I deluded myself into thinking that I would get used to carry around a powerful camera and mighty lents and that did not happen. So after almost a decade, I am searching for something much more lighter and practical.

I know that is a very broad field to attack but any directions to start will be greatly appreciated.

eWalker
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-01-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    So much to catch up!

I keep seeing folks recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CNA%5Bbbc%7CNA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

I am reading it's reviews! Thank's @Pokilani !!
    So much to catch up!

Forum Member
    There are 2 newer versions of the Sony RX100 but all 3 are still available. I have the 2nd version (RX100 ii) that has a tilting display screen and a back lit sensor that is supposed to be better in low light. The RX100 iii has a view finder and brighter lens but you should check out reviews to see which one is best for you.

It's a lot of camera in a small package with lots of menu driven controls. I just bought a book in hopes of getting more comfortable with all those controls. I am planning a trip to Europe in April. I will be bringing my Sony RX100 not my dSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotLight View Post
    I just bought a book in hopes of getting more comfortable with all those controls. I am planning a trip to Europe in April. I will be bringing my Sony RX100 not my dSLR.
    Can you tell me the name of the book?

Since I plan to do quite a bit of trekking & hiking, a light camera sounds like a great idea!
    So much to catch up!

The RX100 iii has a view finder and brighter lens but you should check out reviews to see which one is best for you.
    The view finder is a high priority because I usually can't see very much on a LCD display under bright tropical light.

That is one of the main reasons for me to stray from the cell phone camera's!
    So much to catch up!

What do you use for image editing/correction? @MinotLight
    So much to catch up!

Forum Member
    Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 II by Alexander S. White

If you do purchase an RX100 it does not come with a separate battery charger just a cord to charge though the camera. I purchased this charger Sony Travel DC Charger Kit for HX50V ACCTRDCX B&H Photo Video It was a reasonable price because it includes an extra battery but it is also nice & small. Not much bigger than the battery.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    What do you use for image editing/correction? @MinotLight
    I don't do much image editing-just minor things in iPhoto.

I don't do much image editing-just minor things in iPhoto.
    Do you use an iPhone or an iPad?

I have always used Windows & Android but I considering changing OS for notebook & phone/tablet for sake of portability & easier features.
    So much to catch up!

Photography Gear for a Minimalistic Traveller, Help very much needed!!

@eWalker:

Ah! Something close to my heart.! Where do I begin?

The Sony RX100 Mk III is my go-to camera if I want the smallest camera that still meets my quality needs. I love the built-in viewfinder and the Zeiss lens. My main complaint is the fussy menu system and the size, which can be difficult to hold because it is so small. That's the RX100 Mk III in my NFTD.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422804677.351401.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  292.1 KB

If you want the option of changing lenses, the new Panasonic LUMIX GM5 is a tiny tiny m4/3 camera with a built-in viewfinder. It is a close fight between the RX100 Mk III and the GM5 in this size category.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422804350.195624.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  270.4 KB

The new Panasonic LUMIX LX100 is also good if you want an all-in-one solution. The lens is Leica glass, and the body is slightly larger than the Sony but I find it a good size for my hands.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422804152.193257.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  290.8 KB

My personal favorite is the Fuji X series. The Fuji X100T is a fixed lens camera with an APS-C sensor and a fixed 35mm FOV equivalent lens that goes down to f2. Yes, no zoom but I love the shots that come out of that camera.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422804023.765317.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  144.0 KB

If you want to have a bigger choice of lenses, the Fuji X-T1 is also great but depending on the lenses you attach to it, it can be a somewhat bigger and heavier that the above choices. But still smaller and lighter than DSLRs. This is my X-T1 with my usual travel lenses and carried in my Co-Pilot.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422804575.702609.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  270.6 KB

I edit on the road by beaming my photos to my iPad or iPhone via the camera's wifi feature and app. And then edit in an app like Snapseed and/or VSCO, before uploading to my site and social media platforms.

I believe all the cameras above have built-in wifi, which I find very useful.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by mrbrown; 02-01-2015 at 07:41 AM.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Dyneema A45, Navy A30, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy Co-Pilot, Navy Side Effect, Burnt Orange DLBP, Linen SCB, and Burnt Orange and Navy S19s (yes two).

I had just (in fact yesterday) ordered the Sony RX100 Mk III because on the go I always use my phone due to my dSLR is sitting warm and happy at home due to its weight. Also since I have the Nikon D80, which is great in many ways but not very good with low-light I want to try this little highly praised camera to see, if it can become part of my daily carry around.

I wanted a viewfinder too, I am so used to one and do not want to miss it. I hope for good low-light abilities and that it is fast in terms of power-on till "click" and in terms of focus. With children a camera has to be fast or you have only empty space on your picture and a memory in your head of a cute girl that was there just a moment before.

mrbrown thank you for that overview. I am glad, that you like the Sony.

For the Nikon-pictures I use Capture NX2 for processing, other pictures are getting their attention with ACDsee Ultimate 8 (I use this program in its various predecessors for 7 years now).

eWalker, you have a tendency to start very intriguing threads!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 II by Alexander S. White

If you do purchase an RX100 it does not come with a separate battery charger just a cord to charge though the camera. I purchased this charger Sony Travel DC Charger Kit for HX50V ACCTRDCX B&H Photo Video It was a reasonable price because it includes an extra battery but it is also nice & small. Not much bigger than the battery.
    Thanks for the tip of book, charger and dealer site! @MinotLight
    So much to catch up!

Forum Member
    It is not as advanced as that Sony, which looks amazing, but I have gotten good results with an older version Pentax Optio WP camera which I use for all my outdoors adventures. This may not be an issue for your destinations, but I appreciate that fact that it is waterproof and shock resistant, and I clip it to a backpack strap with a carabiner, so it is ready to shoot on an instant's notice. This little camera has been dropped, scuffed, and otherwise seen hard use, yet is still going strong, whether doing normal sightseeing or photographing starfish underwater on the coast. I previously had a Sony camera which I LOVED, but it is so rainy in Washington at certain times that I found it too fussy (for here) to constantly worry about the lens getting wet and taking it in and out of the case. I may have to take a look at that Sony you all recommended though, if I decide to upgrade for regular travel. Thank you all for the great tips, and Mr Brown for your excellent photos and comparisons.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
    @eWalker:

Ah! Something close to my heart.! Where do I begin?

The Sony RX100 Mk III is my go-to camera if I want the smallest camera that still meets my quality needs. I love the built-in viewfinder and the Zeiss lens. My main complaint is the fussy menu system and the size, which can be difficult to hold because it is so small. That's the RX100 Mk III in my NFTD.

If you want to have a bigger choice of lenses, the Fuji X-T1 is also great but depending on the lenses you attach to it, it can be a somewhat bigger and heavier that the above choices. But still smaller and lighter than DSLRs. This is my X-T1 with my usual travel lenses and carried in my Co-Pilot.

I edit on the road by beaming my photos to my iPad or iPhone via the camera's wifi feature and app. And then edit in an app like Snapseed and/or VSCO, before uploading to my site and social media platforms.

I believe all the cameras above have built-in wifi, which I find very useful.

Hope this helps!
    WOW! This helps a lot!! Thanks @mrbrown ! Lots to consider and digest here.

You just help me to nail another relevant point, wifi!

I leaning towards the Sony RX100 Mk III, but as I read reviews and your posts, I am quickly realizing that like the bags, I will need to thinks in terms of a setup and not a single camera.

As I need a Carry-on and a Personal Items bag, I already setting my mind to 2 cameras, one small compact (the Sony RX100 Mk III) and another with better zoom capabilities (an bridge camera), by doing this I will have a wide range of options while traveling and still avoid the over load of the DSLR and lens and already providing a backup!

Since you already have much experience on the road, can you shed some light about must-have accessories to take along?
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    So much to catch up!