Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Laptops

  1. #1
    Forum Member Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    453

    Laptops

    Alas, my son accidentally broke the screen on my laptop, an HP Pavilion dv6. This computer has been pretty much a constant companion since 2012 when I picked it up. My biggest sorrow was that it would not fit in my awesome Nordic/Solar Pilot, but I suffered along, using a Wal-Mart (gasp!) sourced laptop bag. Hubby and I did attempt to fix it, but in the process of fixing the screen (go us!) we broke the keyboard (no!!!!). Now, my dear-to-me laptop is tied to a USB keyboard. Sadly, it is missing quite a few screws now, so I am not too excited about carrying it out and about, fearful that it will fall apart on me. And so now I am looking at buying a new laptop.

    I would like to purchase one that would fit my Pilot, since I'm having to start all over. I am now teaching once a week outside of my home and really need to carry my laptop. My iPad just hasn't been cutting it. That means I need to stick to a 13" or smaller laptop. Because this is an unexpected expense, I can't go for all flashy latest and greatest, even though I would LOVE to. I really want to keep things in the $600.00 and below. I use my computer for staying in contact with ya'll, writing lots of papers and assignments, blogging, and listening to music. I am not a gamer, unless you consider Yahtzee to be the latest in gaming crazes. I'm thinking an i5 processor, but if you asked me why, I wouldn't be able to explain. I am functionally illiterate when it comes to computers. My current computer has 6 GB of something (RAM?) with a 750 GB hard drive. It has a CD/DVD drive, which I understand I will have to purchase separately, as I do need to use discs still.

    Does anyone have some advice to offer a sorrowing gal, missing her true and steady until lately computer? Bonus points if I can get it into a cache and in my Pilot for $600.00 or less! (P.S. I'm not including Office in that total; I know that will be extra).

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Forum Member blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Alas, my son accidentally broke the screen on my laptop, an HP Pavilion dv6. This computer has been pretty much a constant companion since 2012 when I picked it up. My biggest sorrow was that it would not fit in my awesome Nordic/Solar Pilot, but I suffered along, using a Wal-Mart (gasp!) sourced laptop bag. Hubby and I did attempt to fix it, but in the process of fixing the screen (go us!) we broke the keyboard (no!!!!). Now, my dear-to-me laptop is tied to a USB keyboard. Sadly, it is missing quite a few screws now, so I am not too excited about carrying it out and about, fearful that it will fall apart on me. And so now I am looking at buying a new laptop.

    I would like to purchase one that would fit my Pilot, since I'm having to start all over. I am now teaching once a week outside of my home and really need to carry my laptop. My iPad just hasn't been cutting it. That means I need to stick to a 13" or smaller laptop. Because this is an unexpected expense, I can't go for all flashy latest and greatest, even though I would LOVE to. I really want to keep things in the $600.00 and below. I use my computer for staying in contact with ya'll, writing lots of papers and assignments, blogging, and listening to music. I am not a gamer, unless you consider Yahtzee to be the latest in gaming crazes. I'm thinking an i5 processor, but if you asked me why, I wouldn't be able to explain. I am functionally illiterate when it comes to computers. My current computer has 6 GB of something (RAM?) with a 750 GB hard drive. It has a CD/DVD drive, which I understand I will have to purchase separately, as I do need to use discs still.

    Does anyone have some advice to offer a sorrowing gal, missing her true and steady until lately computer? Bonus points if I can get it into a cache and in my Pilot for $600.00 or less! (P.S. I'm not including Office in that total; I know that will be extra).

    Thanks!
    Hi Mausermama,

    I'm so sorry about your computer! It's the absolute worst when something you rely on so heavily breaks down.

    There seem to be a lot of good computers out there in your price range. I've heard the Toshiba Chromebook is great, and let's you do everything on your list. I think Word is even included as one of the Chrome apps, and you can work offline, too. I'm not sure if it comes with a CD drive or not, but even if it doesn't, the price for everything should come in under $600.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

  3. #3
    Forum Member Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    Hi Mausermama,

    I'm so sorry about your computer! It's the absolute worst when something you rely on so heavily breaks down.

    There seem to be a lot of good computers out there in your price range. I've heard the Toshiba Chromebook is great, and let's you do everything on your list. I think Word is even included as one of the Chrome apps, and you can work offline, too. I'm not sure if it comes with a CD drive or not, but even if it doesn't, the price for everything should come in under $600.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    I'm not sure if it would work or not. I forgot that one of my programs that I use daily heavily relies on Excel (a grading database). I would have to find a laptop for it to work on that. It runs on Windows only, I believe. I don't know much about Chromebooks, but I thought those were strictly for running apps.

    I also use a knitting design software called Entwined. I have no idea whether or not that would run with it either. Sorry for missing those. There are probably other programs I'm omitting as well. I so am not good at this computer thing!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    73
    I'm sorry you broke your laptop; what a pain! But I imagine I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of the fact that you are using your bag as a driving factor in determining the replacement.

  5. #5
    Forum Member Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    I'm sorry you broke your laptop; what a pain! But I imagine I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of the fact that you are using your bag as a driving factor in determining the replacement.
    I figured I might as well make lemonade out of lemons!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    637
    It truly does not matter which one you buy at this point for general use.
    All laptops now are plenty powerful for almost everyones needs and as long as you don't buy a crippled machine or deviant OS like Chromebooks you will be just fine.

    Find the best deal you can on a name brand that you have heard of and get back to work already!

    Really!

  7. #7
    Forum Member Gumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    I'm sorry you broke your laptop; what a pain! But I imagine I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of the fact that you are using your bag as a driving factor in determining the replacement.
    Ditto. Glad to see you have your priorities in the right place!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southeastern NC
    Posts
    418
    I agree with AVService re: most any laptop will work. I disagree to some extent about chromebooks. They are good machines with a growing software base. And they are inexpensive ($300 or less). You can use most office-created files with their google equivalent programs (word, sheet, etc). Admittedly, sheet is not as good as excel for a number of things but it is serviceable. You can go to your local bestbuy and try them out - bring the excel file you use and try it in the google equivalent. If it doesn't work, the chromebook will not be for you. At least you will be where you can check out some of the available windows machines at your price point. Good luck!
    Last edited by rabergnc; 01-28-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Typos, always typos......

  9. #9
    Forum Member roarmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    182
    Salutations!

    Tried looking for a 13-14" laptop with close to yer specs and the Internet laughed at the $600 budget. Try for a refurb maybe? Tigerdirect(never used...Just found)has a decent selection when the only filter adjustment is screensize 14-14.5.Right off the bat some HP i5 units came up.For example:

    http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/9162923

    Good luck! n Peace!
    🐭
    Last edited by roarmouse; 01-28-2015 at 10:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    53
    I recommend looking at a Dell Latitude E6220, E6230 or E7240. They're a series of business laptops with 12.5" screens and will meet your size and performance requirements. The 7240 is the latest and the others are older. To meet your budget with these models, you'll have to buy refurbished or maybe closeout on the older ones. I also recommend working with an individual or business who you know and who is computer knowledgeable.

  11. #11
    Forum Member dnarud13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy
    Posts
    156
    The i3 should be fine for most of the people out there. If you're a hardcore gamer or run AutoCAD then you'd need more, but I'd guess that +95% of programs out there run just fine on an i3. The i3 leads to the best battery life, which is more important for most laptop users than the incremental addition of processing power.

    I've always bought laptops from Dell and they've always been great. They're running a sale for the next 22 hrs. Check it out. And you'd need one of these-.
    Last edited by dnarud13; 01-28-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Lg A45 Packing Cube, Snake Charmer & 2 Brain cells) ___________________________________________ "Be excellent to each other."
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/S.O.S. strap, Cache, Clear Org wallet, 3D mesh cube )
    - - - [2015] Tristar (PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube) ... got to get some more packing cubes.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    Hi Mausermama,

    I'm so sorry about your computer! It's the absolute worst when something you rely on so heavily breaks down.

    There seem to be a lot of good computers out there in your price range. I've heard the Toshiba Chromebook is great, and let's you do everything on your list. I think Word is even included as one of the Chrome apps, and you can work offline, too. I'm not sure if it comes with a CD drive or not, but even if it doesn't, the price for everything should come in under $600.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    Actually, Chromebooks can't run Word or Excel. They run Google apps. Chromebooks can be productive, but they have limitations. So, one should research them carefully before selecting them.

    Sorry, I don't know anything about Windows laptops, but I'm sure they are plenty of others who could offer advice. Or, you can check out websites for reviews.
    Last edited by DaMacGuy; 01-28-2015 at 11:15 PM.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    491
    As these comments make clear, the Windows vs. ChromeOS issue is complicated. I am a fan of ChromeOS, but it's true that it's not for everyone.

    There are workarounds for many common workflow gaps that one might have in going from a Windows-style computer to the Net-centric system that is ChromeOS, but if there aren't ones *for your actual use,* then you might be stuck with the dominant paradigm. I am pretty pleased with Google's spreadsheet app, but I don't know whether there's any translation for Excel-based workflows; might depend how complicated they are ...

  14. #14
    Forum Member giuliof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    56
    Dell is a solid choice in general.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The Earth, we share.
    Posts
    426
    I recommend Dell and Windows.

    Why Windows? Simply Productivity - whether you are offline or online, you could still work. Database, Spreadsheet, Movie Editing. The coming new Windows OS, Windows 10 will be be more powerful in terms of productivity.

    Why Dell? I'm not sure about your region. In my region, South East Asia - Dell provide On-Site Repair on Next Business Day (NBD) type of Warranties. Hence, if my laptop (totally) failed me, I could just call up the Dell Support and they will walk me through simple diagnostic steps. If any hardware need to be replaced, I could expect the Service Team to arrive my door steps within 3 working days inclusive out-of-stock parts issue. I love this kind of service.
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, FBPW, OP/L
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

    BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic

    Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •