Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Everybody ready for Juno?

Everybody ready for Juno?

Well, we've stocked up on beer and snacks and have dug out the snowshoes, so we're ready for this storm. Each passing hour brings greater snowfall estimates, and it's been amusing to watch the TV weather hysteria ramp up. The only down side has been that we were due to fly out of Newark Tuesday morning, to visit my mother-in-law in Florida for her 80th birthday. Yeah, that ain't happenin'... So, all that remains is to switch our flights to a later date, sit back, and watch the snow come down.

So how is everyone else in the northeast getting ready for Juno?

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Well, we've stocked up on beer and snacks and have dug out the snowshoes, so we're ready for this storm. Each passing hour brings greater snowfall estimates, and it's been amusing to watch the TV weather hysteria ramp up. The only down side has been that we were due to fly out of Newark Tuesday morning, to visit my mother-in-law in Florida for her 80th birthday. Yeah, that ain't happenin'... So, all that remains is to switch our flights to a later date, sit back, and watch the snow come down.

Well, here in DC we're just going to get a glancing blow...and not really a blow except that DC has trouble with 1/2" of snow. I don't imagine much will happen here and certainly nothing like in the Philly-NY-Boston corridor. Hearing about the expected 2 feet of snow in Boston makes me worry for them...stay safe in NJ, nuke diver!

We're supposed to get 18" of snow on top of the 8 we got over the weekend. Hey, it's Maine, it's winter. I've got a sort of "yeah, whatever" attitude. My only thing is having to drive in the crud. I am NOT going to the store for bread, milk or TP.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Yes, I stocked up on food this weekend. If the snow starts this evening here in Boston it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I can get home. I'm guessing the university where I work will shut down on Tuesday. The only thing I may do differently is leave my car in the covered garage space I rent and walk home tonight, if the snow isn't too bad by then. Save me the effort of cleaning it off!
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

If my employer shuts down tomorrow it will be the third or fourth time over the last dozen years. We do sometimes close at three so folks can get home before dark. That's always a welcome decision.

On the south shore of Massachusetts here. In 2013 we didn't have electricity for over 5 days. We live in a neighborhood where the electric lines run in the backyards instead of down the street so it can take a while to get everyone back up after a storm. We are close to the water-about 1/4 mile-far & high enough to not have to worry about flooding but close enough to get the winds-which result in electricity loss. I'm a bit worried about the forecasted lows for Wed/Fri/Sat in the single digits. We have a wood burning stove but it's a challenge to keep the entire house above freezing when the temps drop that low.

I hope the storm doesn't delay the delivery of the Tom Bihn order I placed last week. It is supposed to be here Friday.
    Last edited by MinotLight; 01-26-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotLight View Post
    I hope the storm doesn't delay the delivery of the Tom Bihn order I placed last week. It is supposed to be here Friday.
    That had me laugh!

All of you stay save and warm!
    Ilkyway
    “The female mind is certainly a devious one, my lord."
    Vetinari looked at his secretary in surprise. "Well, of course it is. It has to deal with the male one.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from Unseen Academicals

I live on Long Island and work in a grocery store so needless to say I'm very glad I'm off today--and tomorrow too by a happy coincidence. We're expecting 2 feet or more so people are panicking and the store was insane. Personally I made sure to have the usual candles, flashlights, and water then bought coffee, stuff to bake cookies, and wine. My Kindles, iPad, and phone are all charged and I have plenty of yarn to keep me busy. The only thing I need now is an army of minions to shovel my driveway...
    Dear TB Crew,
    Please make more things in AUBERGINE/STEEL
    Love,
    me

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I know the storm will be a great inconvenience or potentially dangerous for some folks, and that, of course, is no good. But I love the descriptions of how you guys are preparing for it. Snowshoes, wine, cookies, beer... sounds great! Hope everyone stays safe and enjoys it if they can!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post

by cancelling my flight > EWR for Tues AM and wishing we were getting 3' of snow too.
    Moose and bchaplin like this.

Have had the Weather Channel on since 4.30am - my background sleeping noise - only switched to local weather then back to WC - I am a total weather geek/nerd/fanatic - I follow all weather 'events' for the duration - I love all the new technology that lets long-distance folks follow what happens - right now they just showed the lightning strikes in the low pressure area that is moving up the coast - weather geek heaven!!!!

Following fellow Bruins' fans in New England on my favorite hockey board/forum like this one - hoping everyone is safe and warm....
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....
    be nice - until it's time to not be nice.......what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize...

We stocked up on food this morning, kids got out of school early, school is cancelled for tomorrow, and now we wait. Our new puppy is going to love the snow, and our chihuahua would rather we move to Florida. I can't wait to use my new snowshoes and DLBP! (I'm in central CT expecting two feet of snow!) I'm also coming up with my next Tom Bihn order. All three kids have asked for cafe bags. And you can't buy just cafe bags, right?

Quote Originally Posted by boristhedog View Post
    I'm also coming up with my next Tom Bihn order. All three kids have asked for cafe bags. And you can't buy just cafe bags, right?
    With kidlet co-ordinated COWs,OPs and Key Straps..No cries of "Hey,that's mine!"

Yay! 🐭

Darcy, I have both feet firmly planted in the wine and cookie camp. Toss in a side of hot chocolate with marshmellows and I'm all set.

Let's see.... Baileys, red vermouth + orange bitters, Tempranillo, meringues, chips, avocado, soups, veggies, and a very temperamental outdoor-but-stuck-indoors-cat who is currently experiencing an acute case of cabin fever. Thank goodness for wine. Mazel tov from Boston!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast