Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Pokilani
  • 1 Post By GoStanford
  • 1 Post By bbcamp
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Advice on searching for a sabbatical rental

Advice on searching for a sabbatical rental

Hello All.

My partner will be on sabbatical next year. After many discussions and going back and forth between many places, we are planning to head west to Santa Barbara, CA for 4-6 months in Jan, '16. It was a tough choice because I really wanted to experience big city life, but my partner has Raynaud's and every big city we were interested in really didn't allow her to escape weather below 60 degrees. I'm also from Southern CA and since I moved back to the bitter cold for our relationship, I thought it only fair that she know exactly what I gave up for her. Plus, we have some good friends and colleagues at UCSB, though we'd like to stay in the downtown Santa Barbara area, not Goleta.

Aside from the typical sabbatical rental sites, VRBO, and Craigslist, are there other resources you folks know about?

Thanks!
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

We have used sabbaticalhomes dot com, which you probably know about already. I would also check with the Campus Housing Office at UCSB, as they may also have information on visitor housing or faculty sabbatical listings. Best of luck and, although you won't be in the city, you will be in a great location (as you know) and can soak up the sunshine!

Pokilani:

You might try writing the department of your partner's field, or any local faculty contacts in the area, and see if they will put a short note in their e-mail newsletter/daily round-up/etc. Many discipline-specific discussion lists on the internet have a monthly housing digest, which might also be worth a try. And don't overlook air bnb. Good luck!

Volunteer Moderator
    @Pokilani UCSB has an Institute for Theoretical Physics that hosts short-term meetings/workshops so I figured that a web search on itp ucsb and short term housing would bring up some results. Here's the URL of their web page resources on lodgings, which carries links to all the services/sites that have been mentioned above, as well as the contact information for local rental search agents:

Rentals on the Web - Vacation Rentals | KITP

There's also the UCSB housing page that also turned up in the search results:

Housing & Residential Services: Mobile

Finally, I would follow @bbcamp's suggestion and follow up with any local departmental contacts. Good luck!

moriond

Advice on searching for a sabbatical rental

Thanks everyone! After talking with some friends there, we learned of another friend/colleague who goes there every winter and has helped other mutual friends find short term places!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pokilani; 01-10-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks