Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree534Likes

Thread: I want to learn to knit

I want to learn to knit

Hi Knitters,

I have wanted to learn to knit for a really long time, but never took the plunge. All the knitters on her have inspired me to go for it. And hey, that would give me another excuse for more TB bags.

Advice on getting started? Should I take a class? Join a knitting group? Watch youtube videos? Get a book? Combination of above?

Thanks!

Find a knitting friend and ask for a lesson. I have taught SO MANY people to knit over the years and it's really gratifying to spread the love. Classes tend to be expensive, but there are some good videos on YouTube. And once you know the basics, go buy Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Hi Knitters,

I have wanted to learn to knit for a really long time, but never took the plunge. All the knitters on her have inspired me to go for it. And hey, that would give me another excuse for more TB bags.

Advice on getting started? Should I take a class? Join a knitting group? Watch youtube videos? Get a book? Combination of above?

Thanks!
    Any and/or all of those would work, and I'd like to add a simple visit to your LYS (local yarn store). They are always glad to enable new knitters.

Ok, so I joined Ravelry too. Can't knit for beans, but always wished I could.

If you know someone who knits they might be willing to get you started. If you need a little more help, most LYSs offer classes for beginners (including those who've never picked up needles). There are also learn-to-knit classes offered through our community's library/Leisure Guide.

There are also lots of books that can show you how to start. Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller is pretty good. KnitPicks.com has tons of instructional videos, as does YouTube.

Whatever you try, just enjoy the process and be patient with yourself. Like any new skill, there's a learning curve. Once you get started, at some point things will just sort of clunk into place and your fingers will take over without you needing to think about it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Hi Knitters,

Thanks!
    Knit Picks has some very good learning tutorials. There are also many available on YouTube as well. In Wisconsin, I have to imagine that there are lots of lovely local yarn stores. You will find friendship and assistance in them, as well as encouragement to feed your newly formed addiction. I wish I lived closer. I teach knitting. One of my favorite things to do is to enable new knitters! Let us know how you solve your challenge! Knitting is great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    What is your user name?

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    Find a knitting friend and ask for a lesson. I have taught SO MANY people to knit over the years and it's really gratifying to spread the love. Classes tend to be expensive, but there are some good videos on YouTube. And once you know the basics, go buy Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman.
    Anything Zimmermann is fabulous! Knitting Without Tears is my first purchased book of hers, although A Knitter's Almanac is my absolute favorite. She is who got me finally using my brain in knitting. And she is so erudite and funny! My husband even likes her books, and he has never knit a stitch in his life!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
    If it helps to have some words from a super newbie (I started a few months ago):

My best friends were The Knitter's Handbook (forgive the title) and youtube videos. I did have my roommate to help me learn the initial stages and to take care of me when I cried about dropped stitches, so these three together have been how I've learned pretty much... everything. ESPECIALLY youtube videos; I just learned yarn overs and double knitting with pull overs yesterday, and it only took about 20 minutes to get down what seemed super complicated.

I'm still doing baby stuff, but I can knit dishcloths and bookmarks like no one's business. I also went on Ravelry and searched for free beginner patterns; my first completed project was the Double Bump Dishcloth. It's super simple and is great practice for knit and purl stitches, plus you end up with something helpful and useable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    If it helps to have some words from a super newbie (I started a few months ago):

My best friends were The Knitter's Handbook (forgive the title) and youtube videos. I did have my roommate to help me learn the initial stages and to take care of me when I cried about dropped stitches, so these three together have been how I've learned pretty much... everything. ESPECIALLY youtube videos; I just learned yarn overs and double knitting with pull overs yesterday, and it only took about 20 minutes to get down what seemed super complicated.

I'm still doing baby stuff, but I can knit dishcloths and bookmarks like no one's business. I also went on Ravelry and searched for free beginner patterns; my first completed project was the Double Bump Dishcloth. It's super simple and is great practice for knit and purl stitches, plus you end up with something helpful and useable.
    At the end of the day, there is only knitting, purling and counting. Everything else is a variation on those three things, so once you've got them down pat, you're pretty much ready for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    And once you know the basics, go buy Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman.
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    At the end of the day, there is only knitting, purling and counting. Everything else is a variation on those three things, so once you've got them down pat, you're pretty much ready for anything.
    And as EZ says, YOU ARE THE BOSS OF YOUR KNITTING. That quote got me through soooooo many jams.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Thank you, I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to not be alone. I figured I was the only person on Ravelry that couldn't knit for beans. I can crochet like there's no tomorrow. It's only one stick and one string. This I can deal with. Start throwing in more strings and sticks and I look like my cat the last time she got in a yarn ball tangle.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Thank you, I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to not be alone. I figured I was the only person on Ravelry that couldn't knit for beans. I can crochet like there's no tomorrow. It's only one stick and one string. This I can deal with. Start throwing in more strings and sticks and I look like my cat the last time she got in a yarn ball tangle.
    @Moose, I used to knit but haven't for quite a while. When I got to college I did a whole spate of crocheting instead (more compact traveling with projects and being "a hooker"). So I don't usually make comments about knitting projects on Ravelry -- just the bags.

moriond
    Moose, dorayme and nsh like this.

@Pokilani, if you haven't been to Lakeside Fibers, you should check it out. They have lots and lots of yarn, a whole weaving and spinning room downstairs, and, at least the last time I was there, there was also a cafe that was quite nice. It seemed a little bit enclave-ish to me, but the people who work there are super knowledgeable and can help you when you're just starting out.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast