Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Your Holiday Traditions

So: what are they!? And, if it's cool with you, we'll repost the traditions you share on the blog as our last post before we break for the 24th and 25th. (If you have a photo to go along, share it here or send it to editorial@tombihn.com)

Here's a few from the TB crew to start us off....

From Barb: "Since our girls were little, we select a hard cover Christmas book and write on the inside what has happened over the last year. It has been a great way to remember years past when we pull them out each year."

A new tradition I'm hoping to start this year with friends/family: make an all-day recipe (I think we're going with Rick Bayless' Oaxacan Black Mole) with wine, cider, and music to keep us going, feast, and then go on a night walk/hike in the dark with the dogs. Ichiro's tradition is hanging out in the kitchen at our feet while we cook, hoping we drop food.

One of Tom's traditions: hosting an "Orphan's Breakfast" on the morning of the 25th. It's a breakfast for anyone who doesn't have a place to be. Or, as it actually works out, anyone who wants to ditch their family. On the menu: waffles, ebleskivers, maple syrup and mimosas.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Three traditions:

1. This has multiple steps but it's sort of just one thing: on the 23rd (usually), I listen to Pärt's Passio Domini Nostri Iesu Christi secundum Joannem as a transition from the penitential period of Advent; then there's Midnight Mass, followed by cocktails and the opening of stuff in the stockings; finally, I try to listen to Handel's Messiah on Christmas Day, but certainly before Epiphany, when the tree comes down.

2. For Japanese people it's New Year that's the big deal, and part of the preparations involves cleaning the hell out of your house, which is awesome with a post-Christmas hangover, let me tell you. So, the cleaning and the hangover are coterminous traditions.

3. On January 1, there's all this random stuff you're supposed to eat, like soup with glutinous rice cakes. I find the Japanese version kind of vile but learned recently that Koreans also have a New Year's Day rice cake soup which I enjoy much more. We also all have sushi (including the dog).

Forum Member
    Even before I was born my Father’s extended family would gather at 4:00 PM on Christmas Eve at my Grandmother’s house or as we say in the South – Granny’s house. Well, many decades have passed and Granny and Dad are both gone, but come 4:00 PM Christmas Eve the remaining family will still gather. We feast on all those unhealthy Southern delights like barbeque pork, Brunswick stew and of course fried chicken. We all joke that we may not know what’s happening tomorrow, but we know where we’ll be on Christmas Eve at 4:00.

Our traditions are:

Decorating the tree with ornaments from the places we've traveled to. I even found a Christmas store in New Delhi, India and dragged my husband there -- those are some of my favorite ornaments.

Prime rib roast and Yorkshire pudding for Christmas dinner.

A walk in a local park, regardless of temps (it's been freezing some years!) -- we started this when we moved to Kansas City 8 years ago and have kept it up ever since.

@Darcy, I will send you some pics of those ornaments.

Christmas Eve we gather at my in-laws place and do a white-elephant gift exchange over snacks and wine. Some of the stuff we've seen is truly hideous, but there are usually a fair amount of useful things offered up too. I can still hear the groans and giggles from last year over the Scooby-Doo chia pet, heh!

Christmas Day is spent at my Mom's place with my sis and her kids. Once again, snacks are the order of the day, with an emphasis on "low-key". Except for the kids... The kids are usually bouncing off the walls.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Years ago when I was working retail and only could get Thanksgiving and Christmas Day off, I was dead tired by Xmas and didn't have the energy to spend the day cooking or frankly being around my family. (Bad, I know, but so very true!) All I wanted to do when I woke up in the early afternoon on Christmas day was eat and veg out. Asian restaurants and movie theatres are reliably open on Christmas, so that's how I spent my day. At first my family balked and chastised me for not spending the day with them, but slowly over the years everyone ended up joining me and actually enjoying having a non-traditional Christmas. We no longer give presents except for the kids.

Now, we make a semi-production out of trying out and cooking new food (we are not at all good but it's still fun trying new recipes) and we marathon a show. Last year it was Thai and Scandal; this year we're going to watch Sherlock and Luther on Netflix in the afternoon and go out to eat Japanese in the evening. A lot of my holiday memories with my family are far from "fond", so to have a truly fun tradition that we all look forward to isn't something I take for granted. Finally, Christmas day is about good food, good times, and good company.
    Last edited by Aeon; 12-03-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    A shameless orange-lover.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

My father-in-law didn't like to buy gifts, so after all the other gifts were opened, he'd summon us to the table to play poker. He put cash in different denominations into no-peek white envelopes, and whoever won the hand could choose an envelope....or steal someone else's envelope. Once you won a hand, you were out of the game. The envelopes weren't opened until the end, and then we'd see who won the $100 bill, and who won the $5.

My husband carries on the Christmas poker tradition now that his father is gone. My kids have been known to tell folks at church that they couldn't wait to get home after service so they could win big money at poker.

Each year we "ding-dong-ditch" the Twelve Days of Christmas to an unsuspecting person or family in need of some good cheer. Our children help choose 12 simple gifts and from December 13th to the 24th we leave one gift each night at their door with an anonymous note of good cheer. On the 24th we show up on the door-step and sing carols. It has been a great tradition and a real blessing seeing how happy this makes the recipient and how happy it has made our kids. 26 years and counting, I can't even remember half of the people we have done this to but it has been a real unifying event for our family each year.
    "I have wandered all my life, and I have also traveled; the difference between the two being this, that we wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment." - Hilarie Belloc (1870-1953)

However ..... “Not all those who wander are lost.” - J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    1. finally, I try to listen to Handel's Messiah on Christmas Day, but certainly before Epiphany, when the tree comes down.
    I love your traditions! For me, Handel's Messiah is a must for Easter weekend, and I will all enjoy Bach's Passion if I can.

We also observe Advent in our home. For me it's a period of preparation.

Forum Member
    We always listen to Cinnamon Bear (an old radio program for kids from the 30s). You listen to one installation of it every day of the season. You can listen to is for free anytime online: RadioLovers.com - Cinnamon Bear
    So much fun to enjoy , even as an adult!

Our big tradition when we are living overseas is to go to as many Weinachtsmarkts as possible and to enjoy as much of the delicious foods and drinks :-) We usually go to the Munich markets the weekend before Christmas...our favorite. I usually pick out a special ornament or two. Christmas day is usually very low key, just a day of relaxing, cooking, eating, going on a walk, face timing with the folks back in the US, and the kids enjoying their gifts. The best is just being able to enjoy a holiday together, under the same roof!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Thanks again, everyone! The Holiday Traditions post is up on the blog: see it here.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Forum Member
    Tonight (Christmas Eve), after the kids are in bed, my husband and I watch Muppets Christmas Carol-the best of all Christmas Carol movies!! Tis the season to be jolly and joyous!

Love the post! And thanks for featuring my pic -- I just squealed with joy at the computer! All finished shopping, wrapping, and mailing -- time to settle in for a quiet Christmas Eve. Happy holidays to all of you -- forumites and TB crew -- and thanks for making the last quarter of 2014 more fun! I'm glad I discovered this forum as it has brought me lots of laughs and travel wisdom.

We always go for Chinese food on Christmas day and pre-Netflix, would go to the movies.