Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 2 Post By MtnMan

Thread: Macintosh or "Hackintosh"?

Macintosh or "Hackintosh"?

My second hand Linux cube is showing signs of strain under the newly updated software.

I wonder if buying a PC with Linux would not be better than a Mac Book Pro?

Do any Macbook Pro have disk drives?

Pro of Apple. The OS is very simple to use, there are Macintosh Users Groups all over the U.S and they are great.

Con of Apple. I cannot stand iPhoto, price, dvd drive etc...

What do you think?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Do any Macbook Pro have disk drives?
    If you're asking whether any of the current product line MacBook Pros have disk drives (as opposed to solid state drives) and/or super drives, then the answer is yes. See the specs for this 13" MacBook Pro On the other hand, that's basically an older model device, without Retina.

Hi backpack!

I'm a former Linux home user (Red Hat, then Mandrake) who converted to OSX nearly ten years ago - my work days are spent writing code in vim on remote Linux web servers, so it's nice to come home to a computer that doesn't need much maintenance. At the same time, I love that it's still Unix under the hood, for when I need to SSH into my own website, or just clean up files on USB drives quickly and thoroughly.

That said, you might be better off with another Linux machine if that's what you're comfortable with. Apple are moving OSX closer and closer to iOS in terms of interface, and I have no idea what stupidities they might decide to inflict on us poor users in future updates.
    jeffmac likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Hi backpack!

I'm a former Linux home user (Red Hat, then Mandrake) who converted to OSX nearly ten years ago - my work days are spent writing code in vim on remote Linux web servers, so it's nice to come home to a computer that doesn't need much maintenance. At the same time, I love that it's still Unix under the hood, for when I need to SSH into my own website, or just clean up files on USB drives quickly and thoroughly.

That said, you might be better off with another Linux machine if that's what you're comfortable with. Apple are moving OSX closer and closer to iOS in terms of interface, and I have no idea what stupidities they might decide to inflict on us poor users in future updates.
    In truth, I am more comfortable with Mac OS, but loath the dumbing down of each version by removing applications that are making sense and replace them with gimmicks similar to Siri and other "apps".

I also love Firefox, I am delighted that Apple has decided to let Firefox in.

But, I know that if I take the laptop on travel and something is not quite right, I would be utterly lost trying to wrestle the Hackintosh into behaving like a proper computer, while I know that simple commands can put me right back in the desktop and up and running in not time.

Back in 1982 when I was still in high school, I took "computer math" classes and was introduced to the "high tech" of the day, a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 microcomputer. IIRC, these crude desktop machines ran TRS-DOS (very similar to MS-DOS) from a floppy disk drive, had no hard disk of any kind, and 128 kilobytes of random access memory.

A couple of years later at the University, I was introduced to the Digital Equipment Corporation VAX mainframe system of dumb terminals linked to a central machine and hard disk in another room. Wow, that's high tech. Yawn.

In '86, there was a new arrival on campus: the Macintosh. Been using Macs ever since. I was part of the editorial board that published on of the first desktop-published student newspapers.

Apple has been good to me over the years, despite ups and downs.

I would say your choice is going to be between genuine Apple hardware and a non-Apple computer. If you really like the Macintosh environment (I do, despite having many criticisms) then you will have to figure out a way to pay for Apple hardware. I know, they are pricey.

I partially agree with what has been said here about iOS-and-MacOS convergence. Obviously Apple has been wildly successful with its mobile devices and the company seeks to bring its "halo effect" back to the Mac. It's also obvious that Microsoft is seeking to do the same thing with Windows Phone and Windows 8. I could easily grumble about it too, but there is no doubt that with mobile devices becoming more powerful (and more boldfaced in their usage), the convergence is inescapable.

My biggest gripe so far is that MacOS X has changed so much over the last ten years. Software and device drivers that were brand-new several years ago are no longer supported on the latest hardware. I have a 2005-vintage Epson scanner here that only works on older hardware. Unless I try some trick installation of MacOS 10.6 or earlier on my late-model MacOS 10.9 Core i5 slimline iMac by using Parallels (I'm considering getting Parallels anyway to run Windows 7 or 8 to have occasional access to Windows-only software) so I can continue to run a perfectly good scanner. I hear you on the creeping iOS-ification of the Mac, and how it is affecting non-system software. But the biggest gripe I have is when perfectly good peripheral hardware is no longer supported because perfectly good drivers are no longer supported in MacOS 10.7 or later, and that problem seems to be getting worse. (I admit I'm a bit of a stinge when it comes to these things, since my office uses an HP network workgroup Laserjet printer of 1990s vintage, and I expect it to still work, as well. I also have a 2003-vintage iMac G4 that runs MacOS 10.4.11 and MacOS 9.2 in "classic mode" so I can run mid-1990s-vintage software.)

You can laugh now.

The short of it: if you like MacOS X despite its quirks and iOS-convergence idiosyncrasies, by all means save up your pennies and get Apple hardware. I monitor Apple's refurbished-gear pages on its store site all the time and they're are some great deals there.

Good luck and hope you find what you need and get it on terms you find acceptable.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

It is going to have to wait anyhow, I borrow my better half laptop during the day and use the Linux in the evening.

Outside the iPad Mini and the FJN are a great team.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0