Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What do you use for travel laundry soap?

What do you use for travel laundry soap?

Just wondering what people typically use to wash clothes when doing laundry in a hotel sink. In particular, I'm wondering if Dr Bronner's soap works for this purpose, or if it's difficult to rinse out. If it works, then I can get by with one GoToob for face/body/hair AND clothes!

I really like the Travelon Laundry Soap Sheets. It takes a little getting used to but I think they work great. The key to success is to plan out the process because one little drop of water on the sheets in the plastic container will ruin them all. So, what I do is set up around the sink. First, I get all the things I want to wash piled up. Second, I stopper the sink, open the container, pull out a few sheets, and toss them in the empty sink. Third, I close the container and set it aside, away from the sink. Fourth, I turn on the water, swish the sheets around a bit so they dissolve before finally putting the items in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Just wondering what people typically use to wash clothes when doing laundry in a hotel sink. In particular, I'm wondering if Dr Bronner's soap works for this purpose, or if it's difficult to rinse out. If it works, then I can get by with one GoToob for face/body/hair AND clothes!
    Better still, the solid bar soap works exactly the same way....and no need to load up the 3-1-1 bag. However, since Bronner's is tough on my hair, I use Burt's Bees Baby Soap. Also, I have to admit that one of my travel indulgences is packets of Woolite.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I can't use Dr. Bronner's on my hair, but I use it for my face, body and clothes when I travel. I actually prefer the bar version. I like a lot of suds when washing my body and I don't get that with the liquid. It works just fine on my clothes (you can test this out before you leave). I like to cut the bar in thirds or fourths and take along only what I need for the trip. I've used the Travelon Laundry Soap sheets too and found them to be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I've found Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to be very sudsy. I love it as shampoo and body wash for that very reason, but it might mean lots of rinsing if you wash clothes with it. Maybe you should do a test wash in the sink at home to see if you like the results? Maybe try liquid vs. bar, too, for contrast.

Good luck! :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I take a small plastic bottle (89ml capacity) of soap powder
    and use the lid as a measure per sink wash. About a teaspoon needed.

Natural laundry detergent powder: safe, non-toxic, biodegradable | Charlie's Soap

Sea to Summit makes the same laundry sheets as Travelon and have less of a perfume smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    I also use Dr. Bronner's soap, and for general purposes (not just when traveling), so it may be helpful to point to the 18-in-1 Uses Explained source information page referenced on the back of cards bearing that name from Lisa Bronner's web site. (Lisa is the granddaughter of Dr. Bronner, and the daughter, sister, and mother of people involved in currently running that company.) There's also a direct link to the downloadable PDF cheat sheet of uses at the bottom of the list on that web page. There's also an alternative listing of 18 uses (with commentaries about specific varieties) at another web site. You can also buy a 2oz. travel size bottle, or just repackage the larger liquid solutions in your own containers, or use the solid soap bars (which is handier if you are on a very long trip, and need to do laundry.)

Other travel laundry solutions include Charlie's Soap, which I'll reference by quoting excerpts of a recent post in one of the Icebreaker threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I'm a big proponent of powdered Charlie's Soap as it is fragrance-free, brightener-free, softener-free, works well in front-loaders, seems to be reasonably gentle, and works well for hand washing. I now carry a small vial of it with me when I travel after spending several weeks to get that "fresh and clean" scent of whatever the wash-and-fold used on my laundry on one of my extended trips. It will take several washes to get the residue that your current detergent has been building up on your clothes and washer, but once you do, I think you'll find it a great "clean" without needing a fabric softener.
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @jeff and others, There's a discussion about Charlie's Soap in the middle of @dmilem's 2011 thread, A Family of Seven (plus one) Takes Tom to Boston. Towards the end of the first web page, the discussion veered towards smart wool and laundry, and @Lani gave a lengthy description and recommendation of Charlie's Soap. There may be a few more references to this product in a few travel laundry soap discussions. I think you can also do a. Google search to find a discussion of this product at Lani's travelite blog, since she recommends carrying a small amount of the powder in a small sealable plastic bag.

Even before @Lani joined these forums there was a reference to Charlie's Soap and Lani's travelite blog in the Travel Laundry Soap thread from 2009.

HTH moriond
    You may also be able to find Charlie's Soap at a good Baby/Children's store in your vicinity.

I was going to comment on the laundry sheets that @Frank II mentioned, but since he's already contributed, I'll link to the discussion thread on Dry Sheets where you can read more comments about brands and options.

Don't forget to bring a clothesline and stopper for the sink, in some cases. Often, while we suggest the laundry products, we may forget that not all sinks have stoppers, as @dwright17 reported back:

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    I thought I'd report back on my lessons learned from this trip, which will guide my future overseas, longer trip packing lists.
    <snip>
    I wish I'd taken a clothesline and stopper. The sinks had no stopper and doing laundry was a challenge. There wasn't much space to hang clothes, so the line would've been nice.

HTH moriond Read through the other links in the posts above for related threads

ETA: Also missed @bijoux's post about Charlie's Soap while I was composing this reply, but maybe the links to the discussion I gave will help. I buy this locally from a store named Baby Awearness, and it's good for general laundry.
    Last edited by moriond; 10-16-2014 at 11:36 AM.

I haven't tried this myself, but I understand that the JR Liggett bar soap can be used for laundry as well. I really like it as a shampoo bar, and have used it on my face and body as well with good luck (and I have super sensitive skin). You might want to give it a try also!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Volunteer Moderator
    Some additional questions: For the people who use Dr. Bronner's soap, which varieties do you like? (For the bar soap version I have the Unscented Baby Mild Castile Soap; for the liquid version, I use Citrus). Also, I know that some people use the solid Lush soaps for travel and shampoo, but I haven't managed to get into that, yet. If you use these for laundry and as a general shampoo/soap, which varieties do you use and why?

I use Doc Bronners as my one and only soap - for hands, in the shower, to wash dishes, as laundry detergent and for handwashing clothes. I always get the Baby Mild (Unscented) version, then sometimes dilute with water and/or add olive oil (dries out my skin in the winter otherwise, this is good for shower and hand soap) and/or add essential oils to make my own scents. I've never had issues using it to wash my more delicate merino and cashmere sweaters (fill the sink with water and a few drops of Doc Bronners, swish the sweaters all around in there, then drain sink, rinse with water (or, for more items, re-fill the sink with plain water and swish around again). Sometimes I also add a little white vinegar somewhere in there. Works great!

I'm very curious about the bar - would be great for minimizing liquids while traveling, but how do people store the wet bar if moving from place to place (or using a shared bathroom)?
    alief likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post

I'm very curious about the bar - would be great for minimizing liquids while traveling, but how do people store the wet bar if moving from place to place (or using a shared bathroom)?
    A little plastic bag. Not glamorous, and it gets gucky, but, heh, it's just soap. Or you could use a soap container from travel suppliers, but they are clunky IMHO.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

At the suggestion of another forum user, I am using Forever New powder on my delicates and merino items for home hand washing. I was planning to take it with me on my next trip. However, I am a little worried about the TSA or airport security giving me a hard time about having a white powder. The Travelon Laundry Soap sheets that @sujo uses are good too, and quite compact, and now I'm reconsidering taking them instead to avoid any potential hassle. They could go in a small (snack-size) Ziploc bag to avoid any contact with water.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I took a number of little pill pouches filled with Forever New to China. No problems with security in either the US or China. It kept my clothes clean enough, too.

Thanks all! I'm going to give the Dr Bronner's a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0