Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Pajamas?

Pajamas?

I feel like I've managed to shave down my packing list in so many ways, largely thanks to all the tips on here! But one thing I still struggle with is pajamas. I have this nagging feeling like they should almost be unnecessary, but I haven't quite managed to convince myself to just sleep in my undies. And for those of us who travel on the cheap and stay in hostels, where even a private room may mean a shared bathroom, covering up at night is a bit of a necessity.

So, I'm curious, what do people do for packing pajamas? Just your old standbys from at home (recommendations for comfy PJs are quite welcome - bonus points if they also don't take up too much space for packing)? One set or more for longer trips? Sleep in your undies from the day before? Embrace nudity for the ultimate in packing ultralight?

I always just bring yoga pants(rolled up and stuffed in the bottom of my S19 with non-liquid toiletries) and a t-shirt that I didn't plan on wearing again that trip. And then they can double as regular pants if you need that.

I bring a pair of really light gym shorts (which serve double duty if I get to the gym) and just wear a t-shirt I've already worn.

If you've ever had a hotel fire alarm go off in the middle of the night, you will ever after travel with proper pajamas, tops and bottoms. And keep shoes near your bed.

(It was a false alarm.)

That being said, yoga pants and a t-shirt work perfectly.

Another vote for yoga pants & a t-shirt or light sweatshirt. Multi-functional, comfortable, and appropriate for middle-of-the-night false fire alarms.
    haraya likes this.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    If you've ever had a hotel fire alarm go off in the middle of the night, you will ever after travel with proper pajamas, tops and bottoms. And keep shoes near your bed.

(It was a false alarm.)

That being said, yoga pants and a t-shirt work perfectly.

If you ever had a tornado siren and a hotel evacuation alarm blare out right after dinner, you will always wear long and fairly new nightgowns, tee top and have a kimono cover up and a sweater as well as shoes nearby.

Rain lowers the temperature significantly, older garments do not look good in public.

The one time I've the terry bath robe hanging in the closet of nice hotels was when there was a fire alarm. I was at a conference in New Orleans and was sleeping in a long t-shirt. The fire alarm went off around 2:30am. It was one of those alarms that yells at you. "THIS IS NOT A DRILL. PLEASE PROCEED TO THE EXIT. DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATOR." I thought about pulling on my slacks but I remembered that I had spilled beer on my jacket and had left it with the front desk to be cleaned when I remembered the bath robe. I was halfway down the stairs to the exit when the alarm yelled "YOU MAY RETURN TO YOUR ROOM."

I was very happy that I remembered to grab my key. A number of people on my floor did not and I can only assume the same was true on all of the other floors. It was not a small hotel.

On the plus side, I was awarded a number of extra frequent traveler points when I mentioned the alarm upon checking out.

I still sleep in a t-shirt (and a pair of workout shorts if I have a traveling companion). But I make note of where my shoes, pants, and jacket or sweater are before I go to sleep.

I pack an extra large lightweight t-shirt (the giveaway ones from baseball games work fine), which comes halfway to my knees. If it's warm, that's my sleep-shirt (as well as my workout shirt). If it's chilly, I wear a silk long undies top under it, along with the same black knit pants that I travel in. Layering is the key to packing light, and works for pajamas, too.
    K9TB likes this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Super Moderator
    I bought a pair of all-cotton athletic shorts (what do British people call shorts, if "shorts" = "underwear"? "Short trousers"?) for this exact purpose. I don't often sleep in pyjamas at home, but when traveling (and esp. if staying with friends or relatives, or at hostels) it seems best. $10 or so at Amazon ... has been a great purchase. Slightly more modest than boxers alone, and (importantly) has pockets. So if I do need to evacuate a hotel, I can grab pocket-size essentials and have someplace to put them, and could even (since they're actually shorts) walk down the hall to the ice machine or something. Or, if I was into joint destruction, I suppose I could go jogging ...

ClaireJ, how about an icebreaker dress like the Allure or Villa (which I know you love)? It's soft, covers plenty, breathable, and packs pretty well. Plus, it's an extra dress if you need it! I think there are still some you can on discount.

Before I discovered Icebreaker, I found a nightgown that looks exactly like it at Target.

It looked super cute with a belt, but doesn't have the advantage of merino wool with the anti-odor.

I would love it if icebreaker made something like this. It can double as sleepwear and a tunic t-shirt with leggings.
    vivelly likes this.

I use an Ex-Officio camisole that packs up to almost nothing, and a pair of yoga capris. Fits in a small Eagle Creek sak, the one with the attached clip. The yoga capris can do double duty as workout gear.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. On the way: coyote/steel Side Effect. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I use an Ex-Officio camisole that packs up to almost nothing, and a pair of yoga capris. Fits in a small Eagle Creek sak, the one with the attached clip. The yoga capris can do double duty as workout gear.
    I forgot about my Ex-Officio cami! I usually only wear it at home in the summer when it is really hot. I've never thought about traveling with it.

Another tip about evacuating in the middle of the night--slip on shoes that can make it down many flights of stairs. Was ahead of someone going down 14 flights of stairs that had shoes on that they couldn't stop to tie...very dicey. I also keep meds in a clear quarter packing cube and everything else in a travel tray. These are always within grabbing distance. So is my Synapse, which has everything else I can't replace.

I was going to count how many times I have had to evacuate, but I have lost count. I've also been in or near every type of natural disaster on the planet. You can't avoid them, so might as well be prepared.

Amy
    I normally use either full-length yoga pants (doubles as regular pants) or 3/4 length running pants (the tight kind) along with an icebreaker tee. The t-shirt, being 100% merino, can be worn to sleep in as well as during the day.

When going somewhere hot and miserable (Arizona in the summer) I've also brought along a thin silk knee-length kimono. It packs really small and can also serve as a robe.

Side note: I convinced my husband to try on a kimono once. Not a great look. We dubbed it a "Kimono-no-no."
    gochicken and K9TB like this.

I usually sleep in a xxl t-shirt, but I also almost always carry a set of very light (silkweight) long underwear. They weigh next to nothing, and can double as..., well..., long underwear. They are great when the room is cold, or when I have a bout of the 'flu, or if I need to wear something under my clothes because the #$%& hotel has the air-conditioning set too low in the meeting rooms (I go to a lot of conferences).

I also always carry a very light pair of running shorts. They become my "bathrobe" when I need to cover up (like coming down to breakfast at a friend's house). And though it looks a little silly, I have also worn the shorts over the long underwear for working out (obviously when too cold for just shorts....)

In any strange place, but especially a hotel, you really should keep your glasses, room key, wallet and a light next to the bed to grab in any emergency. (ATB travel tray makes this whole thing very easy...) And always know where your shoes are. (Though I mostly also travel with a pair of cheap flip-flops to use as slippers....)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0