Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mjmotal
  • 1 Post By PaulT00

Thread: Refurb MBPR coming

Refurb MBPR coming

Today, my father sold the gun he won in a raffle but never actually touched. $600 in the bank. Refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina (MBPR), AppleCare, and DisplayPort-to-VGA adaptor were ordered from the Apple web-store this morning, ship date 23 Sept. This "new" laptop (model released Oct. 2013) replaces an aging white MacBook (2006) on its last legs.

"old" laptop:
    white MacBook 1.83 GHz Intel processor
    originally released 2006; first-generation white MacBook
    2 GB of RAM
    160 GB hard drive
    CD/DVD drive

"new" laptop:
    Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display
    Originally released October 2013

13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel Iris Graphics

Here's my question:

The "old" machine has two USB 2.0 ports and a FireWire 400 port.

I assume the new machine has USB 2.0 ports and a Thunderbolt port.

How do I transfer the old data for my parents from the "old" machine to the "new" machine smoothly?
    Last edited by MtnMan; 09-19-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: accidentally posted incomplete message
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

The easiest way for those two computers will be to buy a small external hard drive and manually move the data you need over. The old computer has an old operating system so you don't want to clone it. And they don't have the right ports to mount connect directly unless you bought an adapter for firewire to TB but I think they're pretty expensive and you'd never use it again. I'd get a external HD because you need one anyway for a backup

I've found marshallj's approach is easiest, but make sure you buy a USB3 external hard drive. They are backwards compatible with USB2 but much faster on new devices. The new MBPs have USB3 ports. The steps are:
    Connect the new drive to the old laptop.
    Perform a complete backup using Time Machine.
    When complete, connect the drive to the new laptop.
    Start up the new laptop and during the initial setup, you will be asked if you want to transfer from a a Time Machine backup.
    Select the drive and it will take off and do the rest.

More information on the procedure is at OS X: How to migrate data from another Mac using Mavericks
    -M

I'm pretty sure that old Macbook is too old to be able to use Time Machine. Moving documents via the external hard drive should work, but be sure you have programs on the new computer that can read them. You may have to do some work on the old computer to export files in a new or more universal format.

The white MacBook runs MacOS 10.6.8 and yes, I have used Time Machine to back it up.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Those old macbooks are really good bits of kit. I'm still using my second generation black macbook - Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, 4GB upgraded memory (3GB usable by the OS, but the matched DIMMs run faster using memory access interleaving) and a 300GB hard drive (upgraded after the original failed) running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. It's getting a tad creaky in its old age, but it's amazing how well it's doing given that it was born in March 2007 - most laptops aged 7.5 years would be in landfill by now, my partner is on the 5th MSwindows laptop in the same timeframe!
    scribe likes this.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

My parents' laptop has been the subject of two recalls for bad hard drives (I can't be sure, but I think the supplier was Toshiba) so the hard drive was replaced twice. Then there was a major breakdown over a year ago, but a friend who is in the computer consulting and repair business out of his home had a family's members orphaned white MacBook and simply assembled parts between the two of them to buy more time. It's held up, but the machine is really showing its age. Time to go now before it gives up the ghost. I saw a couple of under-$300 laptops in WalMart (at least one was a ChromeBook) and I thought "nah".

I am still amazed that they got EIGHT YEARS out of that machine.

My family just purchased a 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display as a refurb from the Apple web-store.

Does Apple still sell cigarette-lighter adapters (aka Airline adapters) for these new-generation Apple laptops? If so, they would like to buy one. (If they are on the Apple Store, they sure aren't easy to find.)

If Apple doesn't sell these adapters anymore, are any available aftermarket?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 13", Core i5 2.4, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0