Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dandelion

Thread: Socks!

Socks!

I'm looking for a merino hiking sock that will accomodate an 8" boot. Trying to stay in the Icebreaker or Darn Tough families because that's what I use for my trail running shoes in crew height and I like them alot. But looking online I'm concerned about incorrectly choosing a pair that that is too heavy or warm. I'm looking for a well cushioned bottom that is comfortable in warm to hot weather and wicks well. Appreciate any endorsements!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Have you tried REI? They have several stores here in the Atlanta area, so you could look first hand. Also, they have a decent WEB site and fairly fast/economical shipping.

Personally I've found the darn tough socks cushion can get a bit warm in hotter weather. The light cushion aren't too bad. I want to try out some of their light series with the air mesh on top but they are more for running and I think only come in 1/4.

I'm looking for a brand & style number so I can order online and save myself the time of a mall adventure and, more importantly, inevitable excess purchasing of things I didn't intend - something I try to limit to Tom Bihn. Rather unsucessfully.

EMS currently has a buy 3, get 1 free sale but it's only on SmartWool and I have no experience with that brand.

I think Smartwool socks are great - except for the socks I knit myself, I wear only Smartwool nowadays. If you can cite a particular style you're considering, I'd be glad to give you feedback if it's a style I've worn.

I too love Smartwool. I wear them around the house 8-9 months a year. They hold up pretty well but theheels seem to go faster than I like, but I want them to last forever. Somewhat unreasonable on my part.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

After spending some time with the brands and styles I have, I've found the DTs to be generally hotter as well. Except for the Coolmax but those are by far my least favorite. There seems to be a little gapping around the toe that's annoying (maybe I just need a smaller size) but the cushioning isn't as good as higher merino. My favorite pair of the bunch are these Icebreakers. I found as close of a crew (10") equivalent as I could - the % merino isn't exactly the same but they're listed as Hike Light. That's the best I've been able to match.

Is there a Smartwool worth trying that's similar to the HL Icebreaker?

Has anyone used a liner/sock combo for long distances and how did you like it? I'm a little skeptical about layering socks that 1) it would feel annoying 2) it's not a good idea in warm weather. But I've read that it prevents chafing & blisters by deferring the friction between the layers rather than on the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    After spending some time with the brands and styles I have, I've found the DTs to be generally hotter as well. Except for the Coolmax but those are by far my least favorite. There seems to be a little gapping around the toe that's annoying (maybe I just need a smaller size) but the cushioning isn't as good as higher merino. My favorite pair of the bunch are these Icebreakers. I found as close of a crew (10") equivalent as I could - the % merino isn't exactly the same but they're listed as Hike Light. That's the best I've been able to match.

Is there a Smartwool worth trying that's similar to the HL Icebreaker?

Has anyone used a liner/sock combo for long distances and how did you like it? I'm a little skeptical about layering socks that 1) it would feel annoying 2) it's not a good idea in warm weather. But I've read that it prevents chafing & blisters by deferring the friction between the layers rather than on the foot.
    I never layer my socks, never blister either. My boots, if I wear them, fit very well. I tend to go out in trail runners year-round (much lighter than boots) and they also fit very well. I even snowshoe in them. My winter pair is oversized to allow a thicker sock while allowing proper circulation.

Are you ready to try some toe socks?

Get into the gear forum here and do a search on "wool socks" or whatever helps get some hits. These people test the crap out of everything and discuss their miseries and successes. Beware: It's just as dangerous as TB re gear aquisition.
    haraya likes this.

I almost always use a nylon liner sock inside my Smartwools when I'm going to be walking a lot. To me, it's neither annoying nor too warm. It's also very practical when traveling light; liners wash easily by hand and dry quickl and the Smartwools only have to be washed out every 2-3 days.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0