Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Infinity/octopus/convertible dresses for travel, yay or nay?

Infinity/octopus/convertible dresses for travel, yay or nay?

Hi all
    It's been a few months since my last trip and I'm starting to get itchy feet again.....only this time I'm thinking of something longer term, maybe a year (maybe even two!) traveling around, spending a few months in each place. In the past I've been on relatively (6 weeks and under) short trips so maximising the use of my travel wardrobe hasn't really been all that important, I've lugged things I haven't worn and have packed more than I need, but for longer term travel I know it's important for every item to be used and, preferably, have multiple uses. Ideally I'd take one simple casual dress and one multiple use dress that could be dressed up or down and worn a few different ways, enter the Infinity/octopus/convertible dress which can be worn many ways and you can add a bandeau for a more modest look if desired, machine washable, ant-wrinkle and they fold up small.....sounds great right? I love the look of them on other people and if they were flattering on I can see how you'd get a lot of use out of one, they come in 3 lengths (maxi, midi, mini), numerous colours (including 2 tone) and fabric combos-here are a few links:
    Travel | Henkaa Blog
    https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1765...home_active_16
    https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1913...home_active_10
    https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1135..._home_active_1

What do you travel savvy people think? Good or bad idea? Which length would be more versatile? Better in a neutral colour or a bright pop of colour? Two tone? I'm undecided, if they looked as nice on as they do on the models I'd buy one right now but what if they don't, are unflattering and hard to tie? I'm hoping someone here has one and can say!
    Looking forward to hearing what you guys think
    Vanessa
    dorayme, nsh and udasi like this.

nsh
    I am wondering how others with experience with these dresses feel about them too. I have been tempted but never committed to buying one because it seemed like I wouldn't be able to tie them in different configurations. I wondered if they look good in real life too.

Instead, i usually travel with a simple black wrap dress (Boden has flattering ones) and a black skirt that I can easily accessorize and wear in multiple ways.

If you decide to get one I hope you update us with your review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes me too! I have read everything from 'best dress ever!' to 'hate it!', believe it or not bridal forums are a good place for reviews as they are used a lot as bridesmaid dresses. I think learning to tie them in a couple of ways shouldn't be too hard....I also like that you can wear them as a skirt too (Sandy | Henkaa, one dress, two ways – julie | Henkaa Blog). I've heard girls from size 2 to size 12 rave about the dresses.......argh! I hate buying stuff when I don't know if I'll use it or not, but I don't want to miss out on something good either.......if you were buying one what colour would you go for? I like the lighter pastel colours, but they might get dirty easily or be hard to accessorise?
    Vanessa

My only experience with a similar dress was with an American Apparel version which didn't really work for me. Other versions might manage to do better about some of these things but I found it difficult to do styles that covered my bra straps, and I also felt like I had to constantly readjust things. And maybe I'm just a lazy dresser but it was hard for me to make more than one or two styles work for me (I prefer being able to just put something on and not have to worry about getting things just right or doing some elaborate crossing and ruching etc). That was a while ago and I'll admit to being tempted again a bit these days - I think the key to a good design is stretchy but forgiving fabric (want it to stay in place but not show every bump and lump) and wide straps. I'm intrigued by the Angelrox wrap myself.

I had one of these infinity dresses - my mom bought it for me as a gift. While it was nice in theory, it never looked quite right on me. I don't know if it was my size (around a size 12, and not small in the chest) or if it's just not as versatile as the models make it look. I think I maybe wore it in public once or twice. Eventually I donated it because it just wasn't getting any use.

I prefer simple dresses that I can change up with a cardigan, scarf, shoes, and/or jewelry.
    snowbot and haraya like this.
    resisting the urge to spend every paycheck on TB goods...

I like the idea if them, but don't seem to actually use them. I have a couple that are like the American Apparel convertible dress, but I moly wear them as skirts or swimsuit cover up. I also have a long and medium sizes Hipknoties that have never made it out of my closet. Sigh.

http://hipknoties.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ilkyway and Washu like this.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    I like the idea if them, but don't seem to actually use them.
    This is so me. I have been captivated by the idea of convertible clothing since I first saw a Chameleon (Home - Cameleon Clothes.com) at a Ren Fair back in the 80s. But for some reason when I put them on they bunch up in odd places or don't really feel like "real" clothes. I am madly in love with Angelrox right now and have spent hours poring over the website. I have purchased a few of their garments (tank top, cardigan, opera sleeves) and really like the fabric. It is thin and stretchy enough that I think it might work in a convertible garment, so I think I will probably wind up giving one of their Wraps a try eventually. I would love feedback from someone who has worn it in real world conditions!

JLE
    I've never tried the ones you linked to, but I've had pretty good experience with various "infinity" designs from time to time. It depends where you think you'll wear it (i.e. how formal/informal), but I like something like a soft stretch silk jersey - comfortable in warmer climates, can be draped loosely or worn in a more fitted way, can look very dressy if need be. I also go for darker colours because I tend to want to wear them more in the evening or for dressier occasions.

I think it's best not to expect that you will tie one 17 different ways. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment - there's no way all 17 theoretical ways are going to suit every body type (unless you are tall, willowy and 16, in which case I doubt you are reading this!). If you can find a dress that you like, that suits you and that you can realistically see yourself wearing, say, three different ways, then IMHO that's a good outcome. If I can't make it work three ways on me, then it isn't delivering on the promise!

This is the sort of dress I prefer to buy in a bricks and mortar store rather than online, so I can experiment with the assistance of an experienced sales assistant who knows what the design is capable of, before deciding whether it's the dress for me.
    nsh, haraya and Ilkyway like this.

Lots of different opinions! Good to hear. In theory it's a great idea and I'm sure learning 3 ways to tie it would be no problems (ie skirt, plain and sweetheart) but as for security of the design I'm not sure.....maybe its just a matter of continuing to wear it every second day for a while to get comfortable/proficient? Being of bigger bust I can see how bras and the hiding thereof could be as issue, I think the bandeau would help a lot with hiding a bra but it would be awful to have a 'wardrobe malfunction'. I do think they'd be fabulous as a beach coverup. The Etsy (Coralie Beatrix) is well known for having really nice heavy, drapey fabric-I also like that there are literally pages of reviews on her page too and I'm pretty sure you can't hide neg reviews on etsy.
    Vanessa

I had a couple of garments that way, a long time ago, I remember them because they were burgundy (a bit pinkier than Plum or Aubergine but not as pink as Azalea) and mauve.

The knot one, would be a no no because I would have to find a way to hide my industrial size upper foundation garment.

Yeah, I am going to rely on a giant elastic band to keep everything together! That's a direct path to wardrobe malfunction, right there.

Furthermore, I'd rather pay for a nice length of regular fabric (jersey for summer and velvet for winter) to make some sort of wrap.
    Sari beautiful and ultra fine fabric for a see thru wrap to soften the silhouette.

Oh and what length do you guys think is best for travel? I can see how maxi is easy but I think that a shorter dress would be more versatile and lighter to carry. I see wearing it casual mostly.

If I were younger (thinner), I'd be intrigued with something like the Eddie Bauer Aster skirt or this Women's DrySpun. Easy switch from skirt to dress.

I've been interested in these Infinity skirts for a while - so cute. I'm not talented enough to tie some of the fancier options, but they make it look easy. Seems like they wouldn't take much space in your bag.

I'm fascinated with saris, and this company says its fair trade: http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-sil...GDF07BEMB2FDBA Silk (hand-washable) dries quickly.
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 09-11-2014 at 06:19 AM.

For me personally, I'd go with two short simple dresses - plain silhouettes, in two colors, vs. the {casual dress + multiple-use dress} setup you mentioned. I find something like the Muse dress transitions very easily between casual and dressy, depending on what you wear with it:

{by itself} = casual;

{dress + button-down shirt or cardigan} = dressy

or {dress + dramatic shawl/scarf+jewelry} = dressy.

(And the merino works well in either hot or cool weather.)

Also, a short dress can transition between warm and cool climates with the addition of a hoody and leggings, but IMO it's harder to make a long dress cool. And because I am a worst-case-scenario envisioner, I can picture myself running (from danger) in a short dress more easily than a maxi skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by peppin View Post
    Oh and what length do you guys think is best for travel? I can see how maxi is easy but I think that a shorter dress would be more versatile and lighter to carry. I see wearing it casual mostly.
    Last edited by haraya; 09-11-2014 at 07:56 AM.

I actually made myself an infinity dress this summer. It was remarkable easy considering my limited sewing skills. The great thing about making your own is that you get to pick the fabric - mine is two toned, with a print skirt and solid colored top/straps. It also has a built in band for the chest area because I just prefer to wear a bra, even if it is a strapless one. I haven't worn it out of the house yet, but that is more to do with lack of opportunity (I'm not a big dress wearer) than the actual dress. I think it is fairly flattering and does work for me in multiple styles, though some I like more than others. I should note that I'm not at all model sized - I'm a 10/12 right now.

As far as travelling, the dress is a little heavier and a little bulkier than the average dress. The straps = a lot of material. Considering it could replace multiple garments though, maybe that is okay.

I think length is a personal preference. I made mine with a scalloped bottom, with the low edge at about knee length and the high edge 3 or 4 inches above that.

I guess the only way to really know is to try one, which I might do in the next few months....and I'll let you all know! I love the idea of icebreaker dresses, but I've found they cling to every-single-bump and VPL is a nightmare! I'm a size 8 US (sometimes a 10 in fitted tops to fit my bust) and I always order a L in icebreaker because they are so fitted, I fit in a M but feel more comfortable in the L. Theres actually a icebreaker sale here right now and I'm tempted to buy a hoodie, t-shirt and dress (the Allure style), anyone tried an allure style dress at all? I want to buy but no point if I won't wear!
    Also anyone tried the new MerinoLOFT Helix Hood out? While I'm asking
    Vanessa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0