Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Small House/Small Space Living: Are you part of this movement?

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I am enamored with this movement, but the closest I have been to it was when my family of 5 lived I our travel trailer for 4 months after we sold our previous home and before we bought the current one.
    It was a good exercise. There was little to care for and maintain. I really love our TT, but I cannot say that I would want to go back to that permanently with kids. We homeschool, so the kids and I are home most days, all day, it was difficult when we couldn't spread out and occasionally get our own space.
    We moved from a little under 2000 sqft. 1/8th acre, to a much larger house (3300 soft, and 3 acres). I don't have problems keeping up with the housework, but I cannot keep up with our yard. The first time I mowed, it took me 7 hours! I have gotten faster, so now it's closer to 4, but I'm looking forward to when we can afford a zero turn mower. And the landscaping here is a mixed blessing. When we moved in, the yard looked like it belonged in BH&G, and there is always something new blooming in the yard, but the previous owner spent upwards 25 hours a week keeping it that way, and her husband did the mowing, so that was additional time. I don't have anywhere near that much time, so many of the flower beds are overgrown and poorly manicured. I hope to figure out some solutions soon to have the beauty, but a manageable maintenance routine.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I love how this thread has captured all the different ways that each of you has transformed (or how you are in the process of transforming) your lives to live small--or smaller--so that you can live BIG in other ways. It's certainly a process, isn't it?!

For some, 1000 square feet is impossibly small while for others 500 square feet is more than enough space, as several of you have already mentioned. It does seem to start for most people in the form of decluttering, getting rid of unneeded items, and working hard not to acquire new things. This is how I started--digitizing my photos and papers, doing the reverse hanger trick to determine which clothes I actually wear and donating the rest, etc.

But what is at the heart of the movement? In my view, it's the need to simplify--to declutter physically and psychologically. What that looks like differs for everyone, of course.

I believe that it is only possible for singles, couples or empty nesters. Even going from a two to a one bedroom has been challenging, but I managed to make the space work. But there is absolutely no space for entertaining.
    What is called "storage", needs to stay mostly empty, because it is, in truth, the tornado shelter

Families need space to fulfil each person's need for privacy and quiet time.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-24-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I believe that it is only possible for singles, couples or empty nesters. Even going from a two to a one bedroom has been challenging, but I managed to make the space work. But there is absolutely no space for entertaining.
    What is called "storage", needs to stay mostly empty, because it is, in truth, the tornado shelter

Families need space to fulfil each person's need for privacy and quiet time.
    Yes, I strongly agree with this too. Even couples, especially those in high-stress, long-hours jobs, may need an extra cat- and person-free room to get decompression time. (I'm not one of those folks who can leave work-stress behind in the office.) It's one reason why 1000 s.f. is about as small as I'm/we're willing to go
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I believe that it is only possible for singles, couples or empty nesters.
    Although I have seen reports otherwise, I don't think we would be able to go tiny with kids, but we did manage to be smaller and passed that way of thinking to next generation.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

I lived in a supersmall house in England for a while, it was so small, people laughed when I looked out from the upstairs window cause it looked like a doll house.
    It was terrible! With a toddler and a baby and 2 big clumber spaniels it was hell on earth. I always joked that I would make a well trained air hostess because I was always going around things, through things and over things, twisting myself all the time. I hated it. The stress levels were huge.
    With kids and pets you need space I think. BUT...now with teenagers and longing secretly to have them out of the house...(bless their cotton socks) I could see myself living in a small space again. Even thinking Campervan...(later if I dont have a million pets anymore) , but only on my own I think.
    I am happy in small spaces..as long as there are no other people around..lol
    ncb4 and eWalker like this.

At the moment bigger is better...we so need another room...or two! :P
    eWalker likes this.

That's is why some rather call rightsizing then downsizing!

I think empty nesters, like myself, are the perfect public for more extreme rightsizing!

There is much to declutter after each kids phase!

Hey! That could be another definition for big house! If you have enough room to to store stuff from more then two kids phases!

But big concessions must be made if you have a stair of kids or twins!
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-25-2014 at 05:10 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0