This is related to a mention of tooth powder in another thread. There is a nifty item called the Gill Tube Wringer that helps squeeze out the last bit of toothpaste/ointment in small tubes. It looks like a little vise and you roll the length of the tube in it and get all the remaining material out. I think something like this is used with caulking tubes as well.

And the Gill Tube Wringer is made in the USA. I got mine a couple of years ago and it has paid for itself in the amount of stuff I've been able to wring out! It's especially satisfying on metal tubes as it leaves a beautiful crinkly imprint.