Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GoStanford

Thread: Friction pen from Japan

Friction pen from Japan

I was given a really neat type of pen from Japan called a friction pen. It is Pilot brand, Frixion Ball Slim. It writes like a regular pen and has an eraser of sorts at the end. The eraser is a plastic ball that removes ink from the paper simply using friction and heat, and the plastic doesn't wear down on the eraser end. The pen looks like a slim gel or ballpoint - I have to play it with more.

I haven't seen this type of pen before. I was told that at warm temperatures the ink can disappear, but if the paper is placed in the freezer the writing will reappear?!

I'm addicted to the Jetpens site, so these pens are not new to me. I have a few of them; a highlighter and a ballpoint. They work really well. I haven't tried a needle tip one yet. I've heard that about the ink disappearing if it gets really hot. It makes sense if friction is what erases the ink.`

I figured JetPens might have them; I hadn't seen them before, but the only products I've gotten thus far from JetPens are Kaweco fountain pens, ink refills, and a Freudian Slip-esque soft-sided carrying case. We also were given coloring pencils with the same friction erasers; these are nifty because you can use the erasing to create white space for contrast in the pictures. I'm glad to know that friction pens can be ordered online here!

I just got some Frixion highlighters from JetPens! I love them! I am forever highlighting the wrong part of the page, or using the wrong color in my naive attempts to categorize information by color. The friction erasing isn't perfect but it's good enough for me!

What a nifty gift, @GoStanford! Yay for you!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Amazon carries them.

Be careful if you ever leave them in your car. My highlighter sat in my car, in my Imago, for about an hour in the hot sun. It was totally dry when I retrieved it.

I definitely liked the fine point for labeling lab drawings in school - if I made a mistake I could fix it, but i could color code (harder to do with pencil).
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

I use these pens and highlighters at work (since I work in Japan).
    Many coworkers use these as well (the pens, not the highlighters for some reason). I find the red invaluable for making corrections to documents for later revision.

Thanks for the tip about these pens! A set will make a great gift for my young friend who loves to draw. That and a FJN!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0