Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Holly
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By sturbridge
  • 1 Post By Holly
  • 1 Post By dorayme

Thread: GREAT travel clothing finds (at LL Bean, no less)!!

GREAT travel clothing finds (at LL Bean, no less)!!

Hi all,

While continuing my never ending quest for the perfect travel accessories and clothing, I happened into an LL Bean store here in the Washington DC area last weekend. For those of you who may not know, LL Bean started as an outdoor-type store (origins in the state of Maine) with clothing for outdoor pursuits and camping/fishing/etc. gear. It's now morphed into a more commercialized chain of mass-market stores across the USA and perhaps elsewhere--still with some good stuff but also with a lot of stuff that isn't quite up to TB quality standards.

So I wasn't expecting much in the way of travel clothing when I was looking around but lo and behold, great finds! I have my fair share of Icebreaker merino pieces, which I love, but these LL Bean items are particularly attractive, feminine Tencel/wicking blends that will do just great for my upcoming trip to Italy and as additions to my overall travel wardrobe.

Here are a few links, in case you are interested (listed under 'wicking apparel):
    -GREAT black travel dress; very flattering (and only ~$50!!!): Fitness Dress: Dresses | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
    -Freeknit Flyaway light cardigan, a bit long but covers well (good derriere coverage!) and has a nice drape: Freeknit Flyaway: Tees and Knit Tops | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean. HAS MATCHING CAMISOLE FOR LAYERING plus comes in black, red stripe, and also blue stripe.

If any of you get any of these items, I'd love to hear what you think!

Holly

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I found some similar items at Eddie Bauer, but with sales, and rewards perks, I paid significantly less. They call this their Travex line. My personal favorites are the convertible skirt (I have 2) and lily dress (I have 3). I can wear them through most situations from a homeschool event, to church and they coordinate well with the rest of my wardrobe. I usually am dressed fairly casually, and more often than not my accessories are my kids, but if I want to dress up, these pieces work well for that too. I love that they fit well and don't ride up, or threaten to expose me. They aren't the trendiest by far, but I feel put together when I'm wearing them.
    Early 2015 dh and I will be taking a cruise. I'm thinking of wearing these every day.
    Holly likes this.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I have 3 of the LL Bean travel dresses, including one in black. They are comfortable and flattering. Once when visiting my nephew in Miami, we were invited to a fancy (millionaire's) party as a fluke, and I wore the black dress and felt like I fit right in (what the others were saving I have no idea, but /I/ felt ok ).

I have a number of Bean fitness items I use for travel: hiking pants that look like regular ones, skorts, T shirts. They pack small, don't wrinkle, wick sweat and have built in sun protection. And the prices are more reasonable than "travel" specific websites (Travelsmith I'm talking about you).
    Holly likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I found some similar items at Eddie Bauer, but with sales, and rewards perks, I paid significantly less. They call this their Travex line. My personal favorites are the convertible skirt (I have 2) and lily dress (I have 3). I can wear them through most situations from a homeschool event, to church and they coordinate well with the rest of my wardrobe. I usually am dressed fairly casually, and more often than not my accessories are my kids, but if I want to dress up, these pieces work well for that too. I love that they fit well and don't ride up, or threaten to expose me. They aren't the trendiest by far, but I feel put together when I'm wearing them.
    Early 2015 dh and I will be taking a cruise. I'm thinking of wearing these every day.
    Thanks for this lead, dorayme! I wasn't aware of this Eddie Bauer line. I stopped buying other (mainly cotton) Eddie Bauer items, which I wore day to day (not travel) but stopped because they faded too quickly. Do you find that the Travex items fade appreciably?
    dorayme likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I haven't had any issues, I have owned my black dress and eggplant convertible skirt for 6 monthsish. The black dress has been washed in my front loader 2-3x, the skirt 1-2x a month. I hang them to dry, which takes about 2 hours because I use the max extract on my washer. The other skirt and two dresses I bought last week, but I suspect similar results. No fading yet!

I only observed excessive fading in my EB jeans and certain cotton knit tops. I prefer the darkest jeans, and they seem to fade to a less than darkest denim color, plus, all that dye to make them dark is a nightmare when I am not the best about sorting loads. . . With the tops, I haven't seen fading in the woven cotton tops, which I have quite a few that I have owned for years.
    Holly likes this.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I have the Eddie Bayer Travex skirt with built in shorts. Love 'em. I have in grey, light tan, and dark tan and have not noticed fading. They wear a lot better than the cotton EB t-shirts I have.