Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree26Likes
  • 3 Post By eWalker
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 3 Post By eWalker
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By Meglet
  • 5 Post By eWalker
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 7 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By Mausermama

Thread: Safe storing our precious TB Travek Bags

Safe storing our precious TB Travel Bags

I was looking at the Attachments Gallery and came across some pictures of TB bags stored in a really nice closet and some discussions related to it.

It got me thinking about bag storage... I have just increased my number of bags to accommodate a wider range of travel requirements and also some of my newly acquired ... cof... cof... personal needs!

I was thinking a way to keep then safely stored and also handy.... ok... I admit the idea of a walk in closet with TB bags in all walls is very charming... but letīs not go this way...

For now I am thinking about something like this...

Name:  Bed2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  75.2 KB

But I would love to know how are you dealing with your non EDC TB bags storage!
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-17-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Love those. There is one that has two compartments and locks down. They make gun cabinets that are similar. For now I'm storing my bags in my bags. Takes up less space and helps the larger ones keep their shape. I also have a few hanging on a quilt rack. I'm using shower curtain hooks as hangers.
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Love those. There is one that has two compartments and locks down. They make gun cabinets that are similar. For now I'm storing my bags in my bags. Takes up less space and helps the larger ones keep their shape. I also have a few hanging on a quilt rack. I'm using shower curtain hooks as hangers.
    Moose
    @Moose By divided you mean like this?
    Name:  eletro(1324)cama_baampuacute_exclusive_-_158_cm_x_198_cm_x_400_cm_-_ortobom_full_2.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  175.6 KB
    I still hoping to be able to store all my bags one into the other until only one is left!!
    That is my ultimate One bag challenge!!

I like your idea of the shower curtain hangers for the EDC! May you post a picture of it?
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-17-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Yes, that's a perfect example. There is also the Bed Bunker. I'm sorry I can't post a link on this device.
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yes, that's a perfect example. There is also the Bed Bunker. I'm sorry I can't post a link on this device.
    Moose
    LOL @Moose Are you from Texas?

I found the Bed Bunker!!

It looks like something that came out from the GI Joe action movie! Specially the Couch version!

Loved it, loved it! But I am looking something a bit lighter (for now)!
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-18-2014 at 05:31 AM.
    Moose, nsh and ilikepie like this.

Ok, so I'm no Bruce Willis... Always thought the bed bunker would be a good place to store grandma's silver. Not from TX but did live in Laredo for awhile as a kid.
    Moose
    nsh likes this.

A whole closet full of bags is a fabulous thing - I had one in my last apartment, and sometimes I would go into that room (guest room/library) and just open the closet and admire it. I used heavy-duty S hooks to hang the messenger and camera bags from the closet rail, then tucked tote bags inside each other like nesting dolls and set them on the shelf or floor below. Same for backpacks and suitcases. Square canvas bins on a bookshelf held little accessories like organizer pouches and spare shoulder pads. Somewhere I have a photo, I should dig that up. . . .

Sadly I have since downsized my bag collection, and don't have the closet space to dedicate to it. I still use the large S hooks to hang a few camera bags and purses from a rail at the back of my closet, and then I slide the messenger bags into a large canvas tote bag (think LL Bean or Lands' End style) and set that below. All the packing cubes and organizer pouches go into the small suitcase which goes inside the medium suitcase and sits on the floor next to the tote bag.

My TB S19 is my only backpack, and my current EDC, so storage for that is not a problem. If I ever find the black/ultraviolet one I covet, though, the 2nd one will either hang with the purses, or tuck into a tote bag with the messengers.
    Rambling On. . . . .

I made a commitment to Project 333, so my closet space went from a walk in room to a cloth rack!

But being infected (positively) by TB pursue of more quality in less space I am rethinking my ways to store and use space.

Right now I am thinking about replacing my cloth rack with a hardwood modular stackable shelves system that can be used as a closet organizer.

I saw something like that in an Amish crafter's site that got me thinking on this.

The nice thing about it is that is pretty adjustable as your needs change.

And is neutral enough to mixed with different styles of furniture.

Also that would give a nice excuse to do my A30 maiden travel by train to a small town some 600 km from me, that is known for it's rustic furniture production and beautiful water falls and pounds!
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.

ewalker, sorry it took me so long but, attached here for your viewing pleasure are photos of my quilt rack. In the side view you can just see one corner of my UV S19. My plum cordura S19 is hanging at the far (upper) end.
    Moose

Name:  Quilt rack.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  Quilt rack 2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  29.4 KB
    Ilkyway likes this.

I keep mine in TB boxes and in clear plastic 55L tubs. The tubs are great because they keep the dust away and allow you to see the contents.

I also store small bags in the bigger ones to help the big ones keep their shape.

I think @dorayme has one of the TB closets. I dream of going to see it in person one day! In my mind, we all have fake walls in our homes that slide down at the touch of a button. Behind the wall is another wall covered in hooks, and all our TB stuff hangs there, ready for action. In the movies these walls are always covered with guns but I like them being covered with bags better. :-)
    Last edited by Janine; 08-23-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'd be interested to know if it is better to store the bags flat in a dust-free environment (like in a cabinet; I currently have most of mine in an Ikea Besta unit), flat on wire shelving, or hanging from hooks.

My most frequently-used bags stay near the door anyway because I usually only have a minute to transfer my stuff from one to another in the morning.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'd be interested to know if it is better to store the bags flat in a dust-free environment (like in a cabinet; I currently have most of mine in an Ikea Besta unit), flat on wire shelving, or hanging from hooks.

My most frequently-used bags stay near the door anyway because I usually only have a minute to transfer my stuff from one to another in the morning.
    I kinda like keeping mine out so that I can look at them. Just looking at them makes me happy; I remember when I got them and what I've used them for. The clear plastic boxes I use are a good choice for me right now because I do not have my storage options worked out in the new house yet.

I hear ya on only having a moment to transfer. I pack everything at night if I possibly can.
    moriond likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Haha, it's not exactly a walk-in closet, but it is of sufficient size to hold my bags that are not in use, as well as Mr. dorayme's favorite things. It's basically a regular 8' closet with a sliding mirrored door. (I hated the door until I realized it makes a great area to work out in front of and monitor my form. (it's so hard to cheat on iso abs planks when you can see that your butt is way in the air)
    I get the ends of the closet where the built in shelves are. He gets the middle.
    I organize one side with travel bags backpacks and packing cubes, the other side has my EDC, OP and pouch assortment. I found that when I put bags inside other bags I lost things so I try to make sure that my bags are cleaned out before storing them.
    Janine, anytime you want to come, my closet is always open
    Janine likes this.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Closet closed, doesn't that space just call, "come and work out!"
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  405.8 KB
    Right side with EDC, op, straps and stuff sacks, sorry it's not it's tidiest at the moment.
Views: 120
Size:  482.6 KB
    Left side with travel bags and cubes
Views: 135
Size:  481.2 KB
    Please also excuse my acupressure and massage mats, I keep them tucked in here too.
    And yes, I do have a freakin' huge tote full of Duplo blocks under my king sized bed. I babysit two toddlers almost every weekend...
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Currently I have one dresser drawer dedicated to my smaller TB storage needs. It holds my two Little Swifts, Imago, Synapse 19, two Side Effects, Packing Cube Shoulder Bags (2), Packing Cube Backpack, and all the accompanying travel stuff sacks, knit stuff sacks, organizing pouches, and key straps.

That leaves just my Pilot and my Western Flyer and hubby's Tri-Star. They hang out in our clothes closet on the floor underneath my clothing. It's not how I would prefer it, but it does keep the cats away!
    dorayme likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0