Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Suddenly SCHOOL!

Janine, re sandwiches yes; they only specify sandwich + vegetable to be eaten at 10 am, fruit to be eaten at 1. Otherwise they leave it up to the parents and I have heard rumblings from the children that Other Kids get Nutella on white bread. (I believe it.) The point is making sure that everyone has something healthy, no one brings junk and there is no undue cause for lunch jealousy. Strangely, the kids don't seem to get sick of PB & J day. after day. after day. I know I would!

My two oldest boys (soon to be joined by their next in line brother) have extended day for religious studies twice a week. This means that there is a break at 2 PM during which they are expected to eat a hot lunch, brought from home and heated in the classroom microwave. I have again heard marvelous tales about Other Kids' Food. Hot dogs and rice seem to be a standard, along with leftovers from last night's dinner. I've sent meat ravioli a few times, but my standard for that is to make tons of extra hamburgers/breaded chicken whenever I'm making them anyway and stick them in the freezer in serving-sized portions, in Ziplocs. Sometimes I make salmon patties (canned salmon + eggs, breadcrumbs, scallions, salt and pepper, rolled in breadcrumbs and pan-fried). The boys are responsible to take a baggie out of the freezer on extended days and bring a Tupperware to heat/eat it in. And they take another piece of fruit to go with that, usually. We are fortunate to have an apple tree and grape arbor in our backyard--covers us for a couple of months anyway!

I have nothing to add..other than praising Montessori..a good choice! My youngest daughter went to Montessori preschool and I was always amazed how quiet and peaceful and happy the atmosphere there was. (especially after experiencing terrible carers in our local Kindi who would forever shout at the kids) They had soothing music too in the background. It was always happy, never a wailing or crying or temper tentrum, everyone totally engrossed with what they were doing..we mothers were suspicious and asked often what they would use to drug our kids. lol
    I wish I would have had the money to be able to have sent both my daughters to Montessori for all their school life.
    Your kids will love it there I am sure and it gives them a really good start in education.
    Last edited by vivelly; 08-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.

@Abby...where on earth do you get the energy from?? Six kids and fulltime work....I lift my hat to you!

PS Sorry for all the editing..its not my "English day" today...
    backpack and Abby like this.

your kids might benefit from a list of things they need to do in the am. we made a poster when we first had two kids in school at the same time that had a picture to represent each activity--like a t-shirt for get dressed, a backpack for get your stuff together, a tooth brush, etc. that way, when they got lost in the AM plan, we could remind them to check their chart, and that would help redirect them. also made them feel like they were doing it on their own like big kids!

and i second ALWAYS make lunch the night before and at least stack the things in the fridge so all you have to do is shove the freezer block in the bag with the bits, and go. you will violate this rule on days when you know you have extra time in the morning, or because you see that you have built in plenty of time, and morning are easy, and you are really tired that night....and then the morning will come, and it will be hell on wheels, and you will not even BELIEVE how stressful and yucky and yell-filled a morning can be. i don't know what it is about lunches.

my kids did/still do montessori. it is awesome!
    Janine and Abby like this.

Some pictures of their first day at school:

Name:  DSCN1599-0000.png
Views: 133
Size:  509.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1600-0000.png
Views: 135
Size:  542.0 KB

*sniff* They are so grown up! And so wiggly! I don't think any of their pictures have been in focus since they turned 1.

How about a caption contest for the teacher standing behind the door?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    your kids might benefit from a list of things they need to do in the am.
    Yeah! I'm working on something just like that! We'll start with the charts on Monday!

I'm glad you like Montessori education. Neither I nor Mr. Janine are Montessori kids so we are totally winging this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Today we got to school a little early. The boys entertained themselves by peeking in through the mail slot and looking through the windows. When the front door opened, they ran to the teacher and were the first ones in the building. I had to run after them to kiss them goodbye.

I guess that counts as a successful transition. *fingers crossed* that they remain this enthusiastic about their new school for long, long time!

and you got there early! This is wors stressing too: Twins, new routine and everything. I bow to that.

Cute boys you have there. I love the exitment in their expressions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2