Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By haraya

Thread: Bookstore recommendations Bethesda Maryland

Bookstore recommendations Bethesda Maryland

I know Politics and Prose but am looking for other recommendations for independent bookstores, coffee shops, knickknack stores, boutiques, and such. There used to be a mystery bookstore here years ago - is it still around?

How far afield do you want to go? There's a travel language place on Wisconsin Avenue, just down the road from Bethesda. (Can't recall the name but I'll try to remember to look when I'm out and about!) In Dupont there's Second Story Books. Idle Time Books in Adams Morgan. I don't know the mystery bookstore, alas.

Boutiques... hmmm, they are places that I rarely enter, now that I have young kids in tow! Bethesda Row has places like LouLou, Le Creuset, Lilly Pulitzer. Oh, and there's an Icebreaker store!! Across the street on the south side of Bethesda Ave., and also around the corner from Barnes & Noble, there are women's fashion boutiques, a little more indie. Also some houseware stuff, IIRC (though maybe they've relocated).

Beyond Bethesda, Barracks Row on Capitol Hill had/has lots of interesting stores (furniture, decor, children's clothes, fancy clothes, ceramics, etc.). Similarly, Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown, between Reservoir Road and the waterfront, has lots of specialty shops. (The waterfront is nice for strolling, there are all the bar-type open-air places for happy hour, and they recently put in a water feature that all the kids like to play in during the day. You could take a ride on one of the boats that go along the Potomac - they pick up at the waterfront there - for a different view of the monuments.)

Or you could hit Eastern Market on the weekend. Love the arts & crafts scene. Union Market is cool for brunch on the weekends. I am not sure how easy it is to get to via public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I know Politics and Prose but am looking for other recommendations for independent bookstores, coffee shops, knickknack stores, boutiques, and such. There used to be a mystery bookstore here years ago - is it still around?
    Last edited by haraya; 07-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    snowbot likes this.

Thanks @haraya, this is just the type of scene I am looking for! I knew TB forum members would come through.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0