• 2 Post By vivelly
  • 4 Post By Ken
  • 2 Post By bb93fo57
  • 1 Post By SKIMT
  • 2 Post By matsui
  • 2 Post By Susan1122

Thread: Bose headphones question

Bose headphones question

I have used Bose QuietComfort 15 noise cancelling headphones when I travel for the past 7 or 8 years or so, and I love them. Despite how comfortable they are to wear, I find they are a bit bulky to transport, so I have started looking at the newer QuietComfort 20i in-ear model. I am curious if anyone here has transitioned from the 15 to the 20, and if so, do you have positive or negative feedback you would be willing to share.

If there is already a thread about this, I would be grateful for a link instead. I found a thread about people looking at alternative cases for their 15s, but I could not find one directly comparing the 2 models...though it is possible I did not use the right search combination.

Thank you!

ETA: My primary use for these headphones is for their noise blocking capabilities. I am not as concerned about having perfect music sound quality.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-20-2014 at 01:17 PM.

JLE
    I made the transition and I would not go back! The in-ear buds are a fraction of the size and weight (obviously) and the noise cancelling performance is at least as good IMHO. If you can tolerate wearing earbuds I wouldn't hesitate.

I have a set of the older bose non-noise canceling headphone and the qc20i. Both are comfortable but the qc20i are my favorite. They take up much less space, are very light, are comfortable and cancel the ambient noise very well. I think if you find earbuds comfortable you will like them. They do come with 3 different sized fittings.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I agree with JLE and flaneuse. I have had both and prefer the 20i. I am giving the qc15 to my brother.

I never had the Bose headphones, but did have some Sony and Phillips models. I bought the 20i earphones and they are well worth it. Light, comfortable and excellent NC capabilities. A great investment, especially for long flights.

I preferred over-the ear can headphones (um, not Bose), and got the 20i for Christmas. Wow - they are amazing. I didn't think the 20i's would be comfortable for me, but I loved them for Rome/Paris trip. Won't leave home without them now! And they fit in my SE with the Nexus, no trouble. Got so tired of jamming a massive set of headphones into my carryon.

I agree with everyone..I never had the 15, but I have the 20, in ear headphones and they are amazing. I needed noise cancelling headphones to drown out my ever fighting teenage daughters and the rowdy budgies for some sane moments of music and quiet bliss...and golly they work a treat! The sound is amazing too...and you can hardly feel them in your ear. I often get sore ears with the headphones that go into the ear canal, but these ones sit above your ear and they stay there too. No putting back fallen out headphones.
    Just a warning..dont switch them on when you sit in a car and slam the door shut. It gives a supersonic BOOM that will rattle you. lol Otherwise I can highly recommend them...oh and when you finish using them its easy to forget to switch off the noise cancelling...that will run the battery empty. But otherwise I cannot say a bad word about them. My most priced possession (apart from my TB collection of course) the Bose Mini Soundlink is great too.

Ken
    If you are looking for noise blocking protection, you might want to consider earphone or ear protection from Etymotic Research: Etymotic Research, Inc. - High-fidelity Earphones, Headsets and Hearing Instrumentation . Their ER-4 earphones were an audio reference standard for years, and they also block out about 32+dB of noise. I have used them for over a decade, and would be loathe to give them up, for audio or for noise blocking when travelling.

--Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If you are looking for noise blocking protection, you might want to consider earphone or ear protection from Etymotic Research: Etymotic Research, Inc. - High-fidelity Earphones, Headsets and Hearing Instrumentation . Their ER-4 earphones were an audio reference standard for years, and they also block out about 32+dB of noise. I have used them for over a decade, and would be loathe to give them up, for audio or for noise blocking when travelling.

--Ken
    Another big thumbs-up for Etymotic Research here!

After years of using Shures, I recently switched to the Etymotic HF3 and couldn't be happier.

They are lightweight and easier to fit than the over-the-ear Shures, plus have excellent sound quality and noise isolation.

(Note that they are noise-isolating, not noise-canceling, which means they don't require an external battery like the Bose. The triple flange tips of the Etymotics are so effective at blocking external sound, I can't imagine wanting any more sound blocked... nor the added bulk and inconvenience of having to charge a battery.)
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Co-Pilot (w/Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Aeronaut30 (w/UV), Pilot (w/UV), Western Flyer (w/Iberian)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi), Side Effect (w/Wasabi)

I hate ear buds. The only ear plugs I can handle are the three flange type similar to the ones used by Etymotic Research.

Does anyone know of a pair of noise cancelling headphones that uses the three flange type ear plug?

I don't need perfect since I rarely listen to music while traveling. It's either audiobooks or recorded radio programs.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

+3 on Etymotic. I have the HF5 and they are great. Can't really add to the above recommendations but agree with their reviews.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I have used Bose QuietComfort 15 noise cancelling headphones when I travel for the past 7 or 8 years or so, and I love them.
    Bose Headphones are the antithesis to the TomBihn couture. The two really should not go in one sentence. Tom Bihn aims for efficient and minimal packing whereas Bose headphones are as bulky, clumsy and awkward shaped any travel accompaniment can be. Ever since I discovered Tom Bihn bags I have never travelled with my Bose Headsets - and like you they used to accompany me everywhere for several years - and I used to feel cool about that.

Like others here I moved to etymotic earbuds. They provide excellent noise isolation so I do not miss my Bose one bit. I have the custom fit ear buds which are made to fit my ear canal, so they are so comfortable and I can wear them all through a transpacific or transatlantic flight without problem. And of course I don't need to figure out how to fit them in my Tristar or WF

I have the qc15 which I love but is awkward to pack. My husband is an audiophile and suggested westone for sound isolation. These are leaps and bounds above the qc15 well worth the price difference.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0