Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Which European country would you visit if you had a week?

Another plug for Iceland... Since the bank crash a few years ago Iceland is less expensive than in living memory. It is extremely safe and very walkable. Prices for everything are all over the map. I bought hand knit mitts very cheaply and in other places factory knit and not as good quality ones re very expensive. Getting a place where you could cook your own food would be an excellent idea. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay with a cousin. Did I say the scenery is spectac? Picture below: white dots are Japanese tourists.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  649.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Late spring (May) or early fall (September) are beautiful along the Croatian coast. The temperatures are still warm, if not hot, the sea is beautiful for swimming, and in the fall the markets are full to bursting with gorgeous produce. Many of the low-cost airlines fly into Dubrovnik, Split, and Zadar. A week would allow for a lovely visit to 1 or 2 islands depending on your travel preferences.

SPAIN, without a doubt. If not for the ambiance alone, but for the chance to dance the night away and admire the churches, history, and aesthetic of the area (not to mention, learn a little bit more about part of my family's history/lineage...my mother's name is Juanita - named after a deceased family member before she was born - after all!).
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

The prospect of a Doctor Who tour of Cardiff has completely changed the equation for me. MUST SEE CARDIFF.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Cardiff is walkable with an odd bus system that takes some getting used to. Easy train ride from london and Bath is easy to access from there too. I think airbnb and vrbo would be good choices. I spent two wweks there last summer ( too long for me.) just checked airbnb. Area where i stayed rooms are about $50 with some inclusing brekkie. Cheap!
    Last edited by jannilee; 07-20-2014 at 07:46 PM.

I would second the votes for Turkey (whether it is technically part of Europe or not, it is lovely) and Spain.
    Lovely weather, tasty food, friendly people.
    Personally, of the places I haven't yet seen in Europe, Krakow is high on my list.

Italy!! Florence in late September is magical. Most of the tourists have gone home, and the weather is dry and warm. It's also a great central place for day trips into Tuscany - Siena, San Gimignano, Chianti. Or else, if you can wait until later in the fall, travel to Strasbourg and Alsace. The region is beautiful, and the Christmas Markets are so fun!
    Collections:
    EDC for Work: SA (with cache) + CP (with workout gear) + SE
    EDC for Play: SA + SE/CP + SE
    Travel: SA + SE + CP
    Organisation: Large + Medium YSS, Small + Medium DOP, 3DCO, 3DMO, Small WFPC, TT, Q-Kit!
    Favorite TB colors: black dyneema, forest + conifer, wasabi, iberian, olive, burnt orange
    On my wish list: Large WFPC, Snake Charmer, DLBP, Q-Kits + LS (for my crafty sister)

Thanks a bunch, Bihnions. Now I want to go to ALL of those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thanks a bunch, Bihnions. Now I want to go to ALL of those places.
    Thanks, @bchaplin, for starting this thread. It has been years (was in Brussels and Paris in 2009) since I was in Europe and your question and the responses provided evoked both great memories and strong desire to return. My TB bags really need to have a European experience!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

If Iceland Air flies out of your city (lucky you), then you should really take advantage of it. Their flights are designed to make layovers easy, and then you can fly on to London and make your way to Cardiff. What might be really nice is doing your Iceland lay-over on the way back and visit the Blue Lagoon to unwind from the stresses of travel before going home. I visited Iceland for a week about 2 years ago and it is one of my favorite places ever (and I've been to a lot of places). Looking forward to seeing where you wind up going!

Iceland Air DOES fly out of Boston. I was looking at their reviews earlier this week. Everything from "they are a wonderful low-priced airline" and "the water is good" to "they ruined my vacation!". But I guess for a six hour flight, who cares about amenities, really? It would be amazing to see Iceland.
    ----

I flew out of Boston, and it wasn't a bad flight. It was definitely no-frills and I don't remember having a meal service to speak of, but it didn't ruin my trip. When we missed our return flight due to getting trapped by a blizzard in the north it was very easy to reschedule (I guess they're used to that kind of thing).

I've flown Icelandair several times and have no complaints. They're a cheap and cheerful budget airline, and you do have to pay for food in economy class, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. It's only a four-and-a-half hour flight from Boston to Keflavik anyway.

Iceland is amazing. I'm going back in a week (my sixth visit, can that be right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Washu View Post
    If Iceland Air flies out of your city (lucky you), then you should really take advantage of it. Their flights are designed to make layovers easy, and then you can fly on to London and make your way to Cardiff. What might be really nice is doing your Iceland lay-over on the way back and visit the Blue Lagoon to unwind from the stresses of travel before going home. I visited Iceland for a week about 2 years ago and it is one of my favorite places ever (and I've been to a lot of places). Looking forward to seeing where you wind up going!
    Icelandair flies out of my home city (Toronto), so this is pretty much what we are doing for our anniversary vacation later this year. Toronto to Iceland, Iceland to Norway, and home via Sweden (take a train over, then Stockholm->Reykjavik->Toronto). They really do make layovers or connecting through pretty easy. We're going to spend a week or so in Iceland, then on to Norway/Sweden for just under two weeks. The airfare alone was surprisingly inexpensive, so I'm not expecting any frills, especially for a red eye outbound.

Glad other people are extolling the virtues (or not) of Icelandair. It almost felt unbelievable that it wasn't being talked about more.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    If you are drawn to the Scandinavian countries, I would give a plug for Norway, as the fjords are amazing, plus you have big cities like Oslo. When I visited I designed an itinerary using Norway in a nutshell (google them) that involved traveling solo via a mixture of trains and ferries to see as much as possible. While Norway is expensive, this turned out to be a more cost effective way of doing things. I also took time out for side activities like an all day kayak trip in the fjords that involved climbing a waterfall, plus my trip coincided with Extreme Sports week in Voss, where I got to try parabungy (yahoo!). I tempered this with calmer pursuits like exploring scenic Bergen and other areas, where I had booked B and Bs in advance.

Of the other cities you listed an interest in seeing, Berlin has an overwhelming amount of things to explore, so even in that amount of time, you would have plenty of choices to consider for what you might want to see most. I have not been to Helsinki, so I cannot offer any advice on that.
    I agree on Norway! I went with 2 friends to Norway after finishing school (a trip my dad gave me for graduation)..I still draw on the memories even nearly 25 years later (geese..am I really that old already?!!). We went on a hiking/mountainbiking/skiing trip which included glacier crossing...and we were 2 weeks in the wilderness and it was magical..we didnt meet another soul!!!! One morning I opened the tent and a huge moose looked at me. lol Oslo, Bergen...all of Norway is so pretty and magical..like out of a fairytale. I would love to live there. But very expensive.....
    I think all of Europe is interesting and pretty. It depends what you are after...nature or history, architecture, art or food, climate etc....the east European countries are still quiete unspoiled...we went to Poland once to see my grandfathers old village (before the war it was his village)...again magical...endless wheatfields, storks, fairytale houses, horse drawn carts and dirt roads...like being stuck in the past. Whereever you go in Europe you will have fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0