Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Icebreaker clothing- how well does it fit petites/short people?

Icebreaker clothing- how well does it fit petites/short people?

I just ordered my first Icebreaker tshirt thanks to the enablers here. Is anyone here short and also an owner of an Icebreaker item of clothing? Sometimes I can get regular sized short sleeved T Shirts that work, but sometimes they are just way too long, and would look out of proportion. I'm 5'2", if it matters. That's 1.57m for users of the metric system.

I couldn't find any length dimensions listed on the item.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps.

I love Icebreaker and have a couple of the Tech-Ts and yes, they are definitely on the long side. I'm 5'8" and at full length they cover nearly half of my backside (not that I wear them like that, mind you). Other Icebreaker tops have been shorter than that.

I'm a little under 5'4" and typically wear petite sizes, when available. I find Icebreaker clothes to be a good fit for the most part. I don't have any t-shirts, but I have the tech tank which is the perfect length for me. I do like my shirts a little long though - the tech tank hits maybe a couple inches above the crotch (I can measure the length if you'd like). I also have the bliss wrap which I was worried would be too long, but it works really well - the ends come a bit past my knees. I will say that the sizing has been a little variable though. I have the tech tank in S which is okay, but I think I'd prefer a size up (to be fair, I like my tanks a bit loose), but my bliss wrap in S is a perfect fit, and I also have the villa skirt in XS which is almost a bit big. Even with the recommended washing instructions (wash cold/delicate, hang or lay flat to dry), I find their clothes shrink up a smidge in the wash, too. Hope this helps!

Icebreaker clothing- how well does it fit petites/short people?

I've got about 8" on you and I find the sleeves to be quite long (e.g., cardigan). It's great for me, though! In the tanks and T-shirts, length and fit seem typical. I would also suggest Ibex, which I think I like a bit more than Icebreaker after some experimentation with different pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest emailing Icebreaker for the actual garment length of any items you're interested in. They responded within a couple of days to me regarding similar question. There's a style called Allure Scoop short sleeve top which may suit as the band can sit up or down on hips.

Icebreaker, at least a few years back, fits long, but has a tendency to get shorter with time. I've got probably half-a-dozen I need to reblock to get the sleeve length back again.

You might also want to look at Ibex -- I've switched to their products, especially when I can get them at end-of-season prices.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Icebreaker, at least a few years back, fits long, but has a tendency to get shorter with time. I've got probably half-a-dozen I need to reblock to get the sleeve length back again.

You might also want to look at Ibex -- I've switched to their products, especially when I can get them at end-of-season prices.
    @sturbridge I don't have any Icebreaker items yet, but I have one Ibex merino wool jersey (similar to the one worn by NWhikergal in the Photo Request:Smart Alec on a 5'3" person thread, but a slightly different style), and also got to try on their items in the Boston Ibex store last month. They seem to run true to size, including their tees (I liked the seventeen.5 line best). For me the size S items fit fine (I'm 5'3.5" / 1.61 m). I think end of season may be end of August/start of September?

HTH moriond

I am five feet tall (well, let's say that if I am shorter, I don't want to know! ) and I love my Icebreaker. I wear both S and M tops in most brands: S for very fitted items (say, an Athleta tank top), and M for mid-layers. I would say I'm a regular size on top, but need petite clothes more for dress/skirt/pant length.

For Icebreaker, I have three Tech-T's, all in size S (two scoop necks and one V-neck) and they are by far my favorite Ts. I like that they sit at my hip without constant tugging (I am curvy, which can distort how other Ts wear, especially if they don't have enough length). They are shapely without being uncomfortably snug. I wear them winter and even the hottest days of summer. I wear them to the beach.

I have the Sprite tank top as well and it's great for a workout, or an extra layer in cold weather. I haven't yet worn it as a top by itself, I usually prefer a tank top with built-in support.

I also have the Muse dress in a small. It hits me just at the knee. Love the cut.

For cooler weather I have a couple of the long-sleeved tees (one is the Oasis top, the other is GT in a more athletic cut - both in S), and the Cascade hoody in M. I love the sleeve and torso length on all of these. Sleeves long enough to hang onto while I put my arm into a jacket, but not so long that my fingers getting tangled up. Hems long enough that the shirts don't ride up and leave my waist cold.

I don't have any Ibex (yet, but ordered a T-shirt on sale to try), but DS has a hoody in a similar weight to the Tech-T. I like the feel of the Icebreaker material slightly better, but they are similar.

FWIW, I tend to hand-wash my Icebreaker, particularly the Tech-T weight. I've put the tees in my front-load washer a couple of times, on the wool cycle, but found a couple of pinholes afterwards. So I prefer to wash them in the sink now.

(ETA: I use Eucalan or Soak, or one of the other washes designed for fine handknits (I order online from yarn stores). The lanolin helps re-condition the fibers. I never use Woolite or fabric softener, but I do add vinegar to the rinse, which helps deodorize the clothes and also counteracts our rather hard tap water.

ETA for anyone on this thread - Ibex has 20% off starting today, and Icebreaker has 30% off (though quite a few things were starting to go out of stock. )
    Last edited by haraya; 07-16-2014 at 06:40 AM.

I desperately wanted the Icebreaker products to work for me, but for some reason they seem to fit more long and skinny on me compared to the Ibex products. At 5'3" tending towards short waisted, Ibex has worked better for me, but both are great brands, if either works for you. I have machine washed my Ibex t-shirts and hung them to dry multiple times, and they look brand new. I agree with @moriond about their fitting true to size. I think I may have a photo of me wearing one of their short sleeved shirts in the Daylight backpack thread.

I'm 5'1" with a 16" torso. I like my shirts to extend past the waist so that they don't ride up. The Icebreaker shirts are a great length for me. Some items I have include:

Harmony s/s
    tallure s/s scoop (longer in length than the harmony s/s)
    the l/s crew
    Bliss wrap (this one appears long in the front, but in the back, it just covers my butt

I'm 5'2" and have an Icebreaker camisole and a "relaxed fit" t-shirt and I find that they fit fine lengthwise - but then I'm used to t-shirts being long on me, and I like my camisoles to tuck inside my jeans (at my age, showing off one's midriff is a no-no!)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I'm 5'2" and have an Icebreaker camisole and "relaxed fit" t-shirt and I find that they fit fine lengthwise - but then I'm used to t-shirts being long on me, and I like my camisoles to tuck inside my jeans (at my age, showing off one's midriff is a no-no!)

Everyday Cami - Icebreaker (UK)

Willow Short Sleeve Henley - Icebreaker (UK)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I'm short and curvy. Having to size up to go around me means I probably get even more length than usual. I use quite a bit of Icebreaker when I travel for leisure.

- I'm not sure I can give you a good assessment of the T-shirts. "Slightly long", perhaps?

- I have the knit trousers taken up. I find them useful for travelling, since they're comfortable and stretchy for when you're contorting yourself into strange shapes to sleep on long-haul flights, but they can pass as fairly unremarkable black trousers otherwise.

- The full-length longjohns are too long. They bag around the ankle (I'm 5'3") and rub under boots.

- The "Legless" 3/4-length longjohns are good, and are now my preferred length of woolly underthings. Overlap them with your favourite medium or long socks and you're good to go.

- The "real fleece" merino alternative to polarfleece has been excellent for me (helped me get through Iceland in winter). The sleeves are too long, but instead of shortening them I've take to folding them under at the right length, which creates a sort of gasket to help keep the warmth in and the drafts out. I wash this particular fabric sparingly, which works okay because it's not a body layer and it airs out well.

- Take the washing instructions seriously. These garments don't actually like being babied: I managed to over-soften and weaken one with what I thought was special hand-wash care (including softener, which isn't good for these fabrics). Don't wash them with fluffy fabrics like towels. Do wash them with hard fabrics: if they're colour-compatible with jeans that's a good match in the washing machine.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    ETA for anyone on this thread - Ibex has 20% off starting today, and Icebreaker has 30% off (though quite a few things were starting to go out of stock. )
    FWIW I'll just add that the Ibex sale with 20% off only applies to their Outlet Store (already discounted) items. I think the end-of-season price reductions @jeff mentioned come later in the year, when their new product line comes out.
    haraya likes this.

I'm a big proponent of powdered Charlie's Soap as it is fragrance-free, brightener-free, softener-free, works well in front-loaders, seems to be reasonably gentle, and works well for hand washing. I now carry a small vial of it with me when I travel after spending several weeks to get that "fresh and clean" scent of whatever the wash-and-fold used on my laundry on one of my extended trips. It will take several washes to get the residue that your current detergent has been building up on your clothes and washer, but once you do, I think you'll find it a great "clean" without needing a fabric softener.

I also am on the Ibex mailing list, which at least gives me a little heads up on when new item are reduced. There are big reductions at the end of the season, but they do have items throughout the year marked down as well. Hitting them early means you've got a better chance of a color you might like in your size.

Edit -- Shoot, why did you have to tell me about the 20% off? Now I'm going to have to buy more things!
    Last edited by jeff; 07-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    haraya likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0