• 1 Post By Rocks
  • 1 Post By carl0
  • 1 Post By Rocks
  • 1 Post By carl0
  • 2 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By itsablur

Thread: iPad mini

iPad mini

I took the plunge finally! and got an iPad mini retina display. I like it so much I'm wondering if anyone has ditched their computer in favor of an iPad only. That's what I'm thinking of doing. I got a Zagg keys folio for it and find that it's as easy to type on as my 11" Macbook Air. My concerns are I got the 16g model and using up all the memory. I have Dropbox. Does anyone think it's possible to be computer-less? How do you store your music and photos? I also have an iPhone 5. What would I back that up to? Any insight is much appreciated!
    I have a TB cache on the way
    eWalker likes this.

If your eyes are anything like mine, you don't want to be computer-less. You must be very young, or have a very good optometrist.

:-)

Personally, I am not all that comfortable keeping my life in iCloud, or any other environment which I don't control. But then again, I am in the computer security field, so I probably have a higher level of paranoia than others. That said, as much as I may not like it, it's probably inevitable that this is going to be the way things work.

Today, if you have a lot of music and photos, it's still pretty expensive to go without a computer. Apple charges you for the additional storage in iCloud; I just looked it up, and 50 GB will cost $100 per year. I have probably 30GB in music alone...

So if you don't have a lot to store, I think it's possible to go without a computer. Again, assuming we all use your optometrist.
    Rocks likes this.

lol, no great optometrist, but I am highly nearsighted, which is never a great advantage but is handy for seeing small things up close.
    Thanks for the input, carl0! Your perspective is exactly what I was seeking out, if not exactly what I wanted to hear.

Also, if anyone wants to share some iPad mini love and apps and tips, please do!
    Last edited by Rocks; 07-14-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    carl0 likes this.

You're welcome!

Enjoy seeing up close, because as you get older, that goes away too. :-) I actually have "progressive" lenses now (ie, bifocals). It took me a long time to adjust.

<< Also, if anyone wants to share some iPad mini love and apps and tips, please do! >>

The Mrs. has a mini (which she loves), and I have an iPad, but either way, Instapaper is by far my favorite app. All the articles you never have time for get "instapapered," and when I have the time, I read them. The best feature is that is work "offline," so you have access to the app and everything you've stored when you don't have a network (like at the airport, on the place, at the doctor's office, getting the car serviced, etc, etc).

Also, you might want to check out SpiderOak. It's a more secure alternative to Dropbox.

I could go tablet only, but I personally would never do it on an iPad. Way too limiting IMO. As wonderful as the diversity of the App Store is, it still can't replace a computer for me. But the point you are struggling with is really the main problem I have with Apple products; extremely limited storage flexibility, and what choices there are are really expensive when they shouldn't need to be. I could buy an iPad Mini with Retina today for about $700 with 128 GB of storage. If you aren't already invested in Apple's ecosystem, you also need to start buying apps to do whatever it is that you do. For me, that's way too much money for a device that I could only really use for media consumption and some light keeping in touch. For some people that's fine. I went a different and somewhat unexpected route.

On my last vacation, I think we traveled with 3 cameras, maybe 128 GB of SD cards, equal or double that in waterproof flash drives for backup, and everything shot pretty much in RAW or RAW+JPEG. Despite having interesting software tools on iOS, I really can't fathom how I'm supposed to actually do any RAW processing on an iPad with practically no storage options, or how I could do my job on an iPad (software development consulting). Instead of an iOS or an Android tablet, I picked up a Windows 8.1 tablet (Acer W4, but considered the Dell Venue Pro 8). 64 GB for about $250, 8" screen, runs full Windows so I can run pretty much every computer program out there (including Lightroom or full Photoshop in a pinch), microHDMI out to connect to TVs or monitors/projectors, excellent battery life, and microSD expansion. I put in a 128 GB SD card that I got for $100 on Amazon, so for $350 total, I have a 160 GB keyboardless laptop. Now I can actually do some light RAW image processing on the go, keep a ton of movies on hand, easily back up images to flash drives or external hard drives, or even work full days from my tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse (full Microsoft Office, SQL Server Express, can run all major web browsers to do web application testing, etc.). It isn't super high resolution like a Retina, but it is surprisingly sharp.

Like carl0, I don't find the cloud is the best place for a lot of things for a variety of reasons including security, but also accessibility. If I can't access a file or document when I am at a client site and don't have network access, it's pretty much worthless. Same goes when I'm travelling; I can't rely on having a good connection when I'm say in the Middle East, or Africa, or Bhutan, so I keep what I think I need to access locally. And heck, I can even plug an iPad into my W8.1 tablet since it's a full computer.

I know it sounds like heresy in this "everything Apple makes is gold" world we live in, and I drank the Apple koolaid for a long time long before the iPhone blew up (and summarily stopped drinking the koolaid when they abandoned much of their former core market). It's been such a surprisingly refreshing experience a few colleagues of mine are all pitching switching to Surface Pro 3's for our every day computers (and it looks more professional in a client consulting setting than an 8" tablet) from the typical lineup of ThinkPads and MacBook Airs.
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-14-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps
    Ordered: Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet)
    Want: EVERYTHING.

Also, no one wants to steal my little Windows tablet...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    carl0 likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps
    Ordered: Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet)
    Want: EVERYTHING.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0