Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    After seeing the images on this site I did buy a few Lara bars and I have to ask ... what is the appeal? I may have got a bad flavor (maybe Key Lime) but other than that nothing jumped out at me. Are they supposed to be more all natural than other bars in the market?

Volunteer Moderator
    I hadn't rated the flavors (as suggested here by Zephyrnoid) when I tried them before, so I'd forgotten if there were any I liked more than others (or not), so I just went ahead and bought everything they had at Vim & Vigor that day. I got the Pistachio, Cinnamon Roll, Cashew Cookie, Lemon, Key Lime Pie, Ginger Snap, Cherry Pie, and Banana Cookie.

Now that I look here, I guess there were a few that weren't there: Apple Pie, Pecan Pie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Cocoa Mole, and I guess Hazelnut Praline (not sure it actually exists!)? I haven't tried the JŎCALAT flavors yet either, but I think they had some there.

Amazon.com has a special deal going on this month for LÄRABAR (and I think even without the deal, it's cheaper from them vs. anywhere else): http://www.amazon.com/Larabar-Fruit-.../dp/B000ENUC3S

pretzelb: Check the comments earlier in this thread, and try the Pistachio flavor These bars are made from nothing other than the actual ingredients - no added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or whatever! That's why it's easy to make it yourself - and so much better for you than, say, Nature Valley Granola Bars or something.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    After seeing the images on this site I did buy a few Lara bars and I have to ask ... what is the appeal? I may have got a bad flavor (maybe Key Lime) but other than that nothing jumped out at me.
    I've never tried Key Lime but it wouldn't be my first flavor choice. Try Pistachio or Cashew Cookie.

moriond -- I hope you're not just teasing us about Hazelnut Praline!!
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I just discovered the amazing tastiness that is Lara bars. When I was shopping at the discount grocery store in Cleburne, TX, I found Lara bars for $0.69/bar. Since I was needing food bars for my upcoming trip to Europe, I bought all their stock: Chocolate Coffee, Apple Pie and Cocoa Mole.
    Wow . . . tasty and vegan. An amazing combination.

Esther
    The opinions expressed do, in fact, represent the opinions of the government--its Congress, Supreme Court, and President--as well as the United Nations and its representatives; because, let's face it, I have that kind of power at my disposal.

Super Moderator
    I have not tried (and am not really interested in) certain of their flavors, like Key Lime Pie, but the Cherry Pie is the greatest food bar I've ever had, and the Apple is not too far behind. The Cherry Pie one, though ... well, I just wish that more cherry pies actually tasted that good.

timothy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I overdid it with the Lara bars, and am now taking a vacation from them. I'm currently getting Clif bars at Costco - they're also really good, though I miss the peanut butter varieties (still MIA after the peanut butter scare.)
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    take a look at greens+ bars. they offer energy bars and high protein bars. our local whole foods carries them. i just had one of their omega 3 chia bars with my lunch and it was very yummy!

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Reviving this thread to ask: At $2/bar, they are a bit pricey.. has anyone tried making their own? http://bunnyfoot.blogspot.com/2006/0...type-bars.html

moriond: I just replenished my stock at the Vim & Vigor at Ala Moana! I think they had all the flavors! Haven't checked the Costco yet! Eep! Will have to stow away in a friend's car the next time they go!
    So I was coming to the forums to decide where to post a link to this blog post about someone who discovered Lärabars, and experimented with making her own, when I found this thread was revived. It's gotta be fate! The author did add a postscript and link to where she finally found Lärabars on sale in Paris -- one of the motivations for experimenting with her own recipe.

I didn't realize that General Foods had bought this company last summer. Also, they seem to have a new product line.

maverick, our local whole foods (opened last September) also carries these -- but they cost $1.69 each here.

moriond

Aw, man, I didn't know General Foods bought Larabars! I live off these things when I go on trips. It's annoying that the new kids' treats aren't vegan-- I hope that doesn't mean they're going to start adding animal products to the original Larabars.

My favorite flavor is Peanut Butter Cookie-- delicious! Not crazy about the fruit flavors, which are much easier to find than the nut flavors around here.

Do Larabars have any granola in?

Do any of you make your own trail mix as an alternative to bars?

How do you mitigate the thirst factor in those days of "no liquid allowed", huge lines at security, long trips to the gate and draconian boarding rules?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Do Larabars have any granola in?

Do any of you make your own trail mix as an alternative to bars?

How do you mitigate the thirst factor in those days of "no liquid allowed", huge lines at security, long trips to the gate and draconian boarding rules?
    i don't believe i have come across a larabar with granola.

i haven't made a trail mix, but i'd love a couple of good recipes.

the security requirements are unfortunate, but i guess you can enjoy your water until you go through security, then pick up a bottle of water when you feel thirsty again after you pass through security.

i've actually never had a larabar! i eat luna bars all the time, though, and i love them.

as for the water while traveling thing... i usually pack an empty sigg bottle, then fill it up once i'm through security.

I do the same thing for water-- carry my empty one-liter bottle through and fill it on the other side.

keb
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    The Cherry Pie one, though ... well, I just wish that more cherry pies actually tasted that good.

timothy
    Thats just crazy talk... But I did eat two of those on Sunday and they are pretty darn good...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Super Moderator

vs. "most cherry pies."

I stand by my claim

Most cherry pies -- commercial ones, that is -- are a) too sweet and b) too gelatinous.

I prefer mine to be quite runny, actually --- at least, that's the way I'd rather it stray, rather than too dry, or too goopy. Pie (actual pie, not delicious fruit bars) should be eaten, at least optionally, with a spoon. In fact, I think a great way to eat a slice of pie is as the topping on a nice bowl of coffee ice cream.

timothy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0