Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Bromptons & Other Folding Bicycles

Oh dear...look what I just found:

Brompton, NZ dealer.

I always wanted to see Wellington! lol
    I think I am in trouble.....
    Ilkyway likes this.

I just saw the price....I think I have to keep dreaming.....

Mine is Raw Lacquer. I splurged on the Brooks Saddle and the handlebars. The CP is nordic with the Portable Culture tag. My phone's camera does not capture the nordic shade.

Here is a photo of the handle bars - forgot the brand. I am sure Maverick and other Bromption afficionados will know.

And yes, the box next to it is a TB box, of course
    Ilkyway likes this.

And I will likely buy the DLBP in black dyneema, but I would really like one in cocoa.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Walker, nice Bag, great color, cool Logo! (Had to be said, even in this corner of the forum.)

Now I need some help here: I looked at this origami-bike but can not find the handlebar you mentioned. Can you please point me to it?

How much do you use this bike? How do you compare it to others?

Vivelly I think this is a bit much for an impulse buy for me too. Let's just do the research for now. But wouldn't it be cool to meet in one of our countries and have our own bike in a Bag for inviorment-friendly site seeing? Which colour is your favourite? By the way let's cross our fingers for Sunday. Hope they not jet done scoring goals.

Ilkyway
    vivelly likes this.

Sorry, wrong photo (don't post when you are famished and rushing dinner). Here is a photo of the handlebar.

When you ride a Brommie, be prepared for the stares and the questions from strangers
    Ilkyway likes this.

Here's me with my Dahon, sold through REI, and my Smart Alec with Glowire, on Bike to Work Day in 2013. Love my foldy bike and hope to "du" a duathlon with it some day!

@Ilkyway and others interested, the handlebars are Ergon GP1 Biokork Small. I had them installed by the merchant, so I have no experience with the Brompton handlebars to make comparison. In all honesty, I bought them and the saddle to feed my vanity - they look nice with the Raw Lacquer.

I saved for and thought about buying my Brommie for 2 years (talk about a non-impluse buy!).

I do not use it as much as others do, but do ride it for fun on weekends. For the fun Andrew the carrying convenience I had with it, I feel that I got my money's worth.

It fits in the trunk of my mini cooper, but the seat post with the saddle is too high for the trunk cover so I have to remove it. Below is a photo of the bike in my car's trunk.

I am intrigued with Maverick's post that his bike fits in his mini cooper with the saddle removed. Maverick, may I ask for a photo? I may just put a telecoping seat post on my wish list

Sorry, not sure what happened but cannot find the photo on my phone. Will take and post photo later. @Ilkyway, this is my first, one and only bike, so cannot make comparisons. I wanted a bike for years, but did not want the hassle involved in transporting a full-size bike. When I first saw the Brompton, I knew it was THE one. It tooks me 2+ years to welcome one.

As a perspective, I spent more on TB bags than on my Brompton .
    Ilkyway likes this.

Holy crud, how did I manage to miss a thread on folding bikes on this forum?

This is my bike. A Bike Friday Tikit.

Mine is very, very heavily customized. And yes, it has the requisite Brooks Saddle (a B72, purchased at a garage sale for $1). I also have two Dahon Helios bikes in a beach town in Italy, hehe.

BTW, my favorite Brompton video:

Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

feijai the sigh at the and of his folding-experiment is so adorable. Have you ridden a Bromptons?

Walker may I ask how tall you are? The handlebar looks quite good. I totally get the vanity part so I would never admit to it. So you can not quot me on that and this post will dissolve on its own in 30 seconds.

tCook nice picture, how did you decide on which bike to get?

Another interesting folder is the Xootr Swift

It doesn't fold down as small as a Brompton, but it uses industry standard size parts so you don't have to worry about finding special proprietary components.

It also has roughly the Frame Geometry of a regular hybrid bike, so the ride is similar.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

@Ilkyway, I amy very short, under 5 ft. This is another reason why I bought the Brompton. The seat post goes way down, and I can adjust to to a comfortable height. I have not seen a Bike Friday Tikit, but from looking at the photos, I am guessing that the seat post will be too high for me. At 56 years old, I am not as limber to ride my bike pedals on my toes.

The only reason I would want a telecoping seat post is Maverick's mention that when he removes his telescoping seat post with the saddle, his bike fits in his Mini Cooper better. I am hoping he will post a photo. No rush, Maverick!

Right now, my bike with standard seat post is a bit too high, I have to remove the trunk's top cover when I load my bike there. Here is a photo:

When I was researching Brompton information, most of the interesting posts and photos are by tall people. The man (Peter) who did most of the videos posted by Nyce Wheels is 6'2". I have no connection with them, did not buy my bike from them, but appreciated their videos of the Brompton. I am hoping to sign up for their free Brompton tours, if and when I find myself in New York. I would very much like to try the bike with the sporty handlebar.

This thread is SO dangerous! I just searched for the nearest bike shop selling Bromptons and thank goodness it is several hours away from me. In any case, I would have to save up money for at least a year or two...so, like with Ilkyway, this is good (and fun) research . Love all the photos. Thanks!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0