Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Bromptons & Other Folding Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Not sure where else they might have something like this, but I came across Brompton Dock in the UK. I may be going to the UK next month, and for 5 GBP per day, you can rent a Brompton. That way, I don't have to travel with mine. But it's also a great way to do an extended test rdie before you buy a Brompton.
    I have to be honest..the first impression when I saw you on one was that you hitchhiked your sons bike and pulled the saddle up to max. lol But now it really grows on me...I will have a look out..just for fun...cannot buy one.. just for fun...just for fun....

Those are hilarious videos!!!!!! lol
    Ilkyway likes this.

OH MY GOOGLE I leave the forum for a day and you people start talking about folding bikes! I have a folding bike! I'm so excited right now I could *pop*.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Okay, I calmed down.

I have a Dahon Boardwalk. It's a 6-speed and absolutely fantastic. My husband borrows it when I'm not looking - I can always tell because he makes the seat taller and forgets to put it back down to my height. Small-wheel bikes are geared so that you pedal at about the same ratio you'd pedal a big-wheel bike, so the effort to move them is similar. We added a trailer hitch to my Dahon and I sometimes pull the kids in the trailer with it. You may remember my photo of a pizza on my bike, held there with a Simple Strap and a Key Strap. That was the Dahon! :-)

The steering is, as maverick mentioned, a bit twitchy but you really do get used to it quickly. I've grown so accustomed to the nimbleness of my Dahon that I'd rather walk than ride anything else.

There is a Brompton dealer about 90 minutes away from me. I have thus far resisted the temptation to visit, but I'm sure my resolve will crack soon.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Thank you so much for doing this moriond. Now I can ask away without disturbing anybody.
    I think you took one of backpacks posts hostage here. Yesterday she was the small voice of Daylight-Talk among the loud squeeing and ohhiing about these bikes. She made me very aware of how much we sidestep the other thread.

Janine: might you have a picture with less Pizza and more Bike in it? Do not get me wrong I love pizza, but just now I'm thinking Bike.

Maverick: Can you compare riding a Bromptons with a full-sized bike? And may I ask how tall you are? (Me being 6,2 heights can be an ishu with so many things)

Ilkyway

Edid: PS I got so exited I just had to like everything all over again!

Just ordered my Brommie on my companies Cycle to Work scheme. This means I pay less than half price, no brainer!!!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Maverick: Can you compare riding a Bromptons with a full-sized bike? And may I ask how tall you are? (Me being 6,2 heights can be an ishu with so many things)

Ilkyway

Edid: PS I got so exited I just had to like everything all over again!
    Hi Ilkyway!

I'm 5' 8", and I have a road bike and the Brompton. I can go faster on the road bike, but I can also go pretty fast on the Brompton. I think this is because the Brompton has thicker tires.

At 6' 2", you will be fine on the Brompton - you will want to get the telescoping seat post. That is how I configured my Brompton - not because I need the height - but because it allows me to remove the saddle when I'm putting the folded Brompton into the back of my car. The Brompton locks (so that it doesn't unfold) by the seat post being lowered. The telescoping portion of the seat post can then be removed, allowing you to lower the profile of the folded Brompton. If you have a saddle bag attached to the back of your saddle, and want to bring that with you when you park your bike, you can just pull out the top part of the seat post and have your saddle and saddle bag with you while your bike waits.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Derbian View Post
    Just ordered my Brommie on my companies Cycle to Work scheme. This means I pay less than half price, no brainer!!!!
    That's fantastic! I'm thrilled to hear that your employer is so supportive of you biking to work to provide such a deep discount on bikes!

What color(s) and configuration did you order?
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    They have suspension to even out the bumps a bit and, after an initial bit of wobbliness, you soon get used to the small wheels. I think you get the choice of 1, 2, 3 or 6 gears and you can adjust the ratios a bit as well. It's been a while since I sold mine though, so I'm not 100% sure. They're very nippy on the flat......and you can get them in orange
    There are also after market options for other gear configurations - from dealers in the UK. I haven't looked into it myself.

I have the 6 speed, which I have been very happy with on the hills in the Northern Virginia area. I have commuted to work on it (25 miles round trip on the W&OD Trail).
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -m

Derbian, do you have it jet, or are you waiting for it?
    Which color did you get?
    If you have it, what do you think about comport?
    Which handlebar did you choose?
    Which bag do you use for your ride to work?

Sorry, so many questions, pick the once you'd like to answer ;-)

Ilkyway

Bromptons & Other Folding Bicycles

The Cycle to Work is a UK government tax incentivised (for both employer and employee) scheme to reduce the number of cars on the road during peak times.

Because I am having a custom build I will have to wait about 4 weeks. The frame is black, P type handle bars, six speed with + 8% gearing, front carrier with the T Bag, firm suspension, rear rack and the telescopic seat post.

I am currently riding a borrowed Mezzo D10 (also a folder). Good bike but I am not a fan of the folding mechanism as it bends the chain when folded. I have test ridden a Brommie, probably will take a little getting used too (30+ years riding full size racing bikes and some mountain bikes), but I think it's a great bike for what I want it to do.
    Last edited by Derbian; 07-11-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

I have found out, that there is big store in Hamburg. As it is always good to be in Hamburg I will have a look at them in person when I get around to it. May I ask how you decide to go for Bromtons?

I have found out, that there is big store in Hamburg. As it is always good to be in Hamburg I will have a look at them in person when I get around to it. May I ask how you decide to go for Bromtons?
    They are strong durable bikes, that perform well, fold small and are easy to fold.

They are strong durable bikes, that perform well, fold small and are easy to fold.

You are on a dangerous track Ilkyway...lol I expect a full review with pictures in a couple of weeks time! lol
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0