Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Bromptons & Other Folding Bicycles

oooohhhh...I want a Brommie now....
    Ilkyway likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Okay maverick you have Tom Bihn Bags and you have the bike: in which bag fits this pike? ;-)
    I have carried the Small Cafe Bag (with a waist strap to keep it in place), the Side Effect, the Brain Bag, both Synapse backpacks, and most recently the Daylight Backpack on the Brompton.

My Brompton has a rear rack. I have an Ortlieb Office Bag pannier - the Horizontal Brain Cell for the 13" Macbook Air fits nicely in there. I was hoping to attach that to the rear rack, but it isn't a good fit - my feet would hit the pannier as I pedaled.

Brompton makes a rear rack bag, but it isn't my cup of tea.

There is a front carrier block on the Brompton, where you can mount a bag. I would love to see Tom Bihn make a bag that fits this carrier block. In the mean time, I'm very happy carrying a Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, or a Tom Bihn backpack when I ride my Brompton.
    -m

oh be quiet maverick..... I like it more the more I look at it....thinking to myself "Dont google NZ suppliers!!!!!" Dont do it!!!!

I have not researched them in depth yet...do they have enough gears to efficiently move the small wheels? (stupid question probably...otherwise they would not be so good....) I have to stay away from this thread...*sigh*
    Ilkyway likes this.

vivelly that is the question I have too. I have learnd: big weals -> comfortable and fast ride, small weals -> bumpy ride and hard work. But the most films show the folding, which is impressive no doubt about it.

They have suspension to even out the bumps a bit and, after an initial bit of wobbliness, you soon get used to the small wheels. I think you get the choice of 1, 2, 3 or 6 gears and you can adjust the ratios a bit as well. It's been a while since I sold mine though, so I'm not 100% sure. They're very nippy on the flat......and you can get them in orange

Agree! I lOVE the folding bit. that makes many bike rides possible in my small Golf....(doesnt really matter because I CANNOT buy one...lol)
    Ilkyway likes this.

ceepee be a real friend and help us out here: why did you sell yours? Tell us ugly story show us pictures of town clothes and bruises... anything that makes this beauty disapear out of our heads would be well appreciated!

To rotate bag to the Daylighter: it foulds very good and small too. I today folded it up and put it into my Swift to take it to the office. For a 16+ L Backpack it has a pretty small footprint. I know it is the point of it, but it sure works out great that way. Having a backup backpack feels good.

Volunteer Moderator
    Not sure where else they might have something like this, but I came across Brompton Dock in the UK. I may be going to the UK next month, and for 5 GBP per day, you can rent a Brompton. That way, I don't have to travel with mine. But it's also a great way to do an extended test rdie before you buy a Brompton.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    To rotate bag to the Daylighter: it foulds very good and small too. I today folded it up and put it into my Swift to take it to the office. For a 16+ L Backpack it has a pretty small footprint. I know it is the point of it, but it sure works out great that way. Having a backup backpack feels good.
    I think that the Daylight Backpack can have a near zero footprint if carried empty and flat - just like a packing cube!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -m

ceepee be a real friend and help us out here: why did you sell yours? Tell us ugly story show us pictures of town clothes and bruises... anything that makes this beauty disapear out of our heads would be well appreciated!
    When I bought it we were renting a house with a nice, secure garage. When we moved to where we are now though, we got a garden but no secure storage and a clause in our lease specifically saying no bikes to be stored in the house :/
    Now the place that we're, hopefully, moving to within the next month, is a flat, no garden and at the top of four flights of stairs. But, if there's no clause in the leasing agreement about storing a bike in the flat, then a Brompton could very well be on the cards!! .... HTH

Volunteer Moderator
    Sorry - I didn't mean to tempt you with the Brompton.

I will stop - but I do want to mention one of the great things about the Brompton is that it has a very compact fold, and that it fold very quickly.

When I was looking at folding bikes, the reason I chose the Brompton was because it fits into the back of my MINI Cooper.

It was a bit of an adjustment when I first got it, because the handlebars are responsive (twitchy) than my road bike. But you quickly adjust.

I can take the Brompton on the bus, on the subway (even during rush hour, because it's a folding bike).

I can go at a pretty good pace on my Brompton.

It is very well made.

It does have a lot of proprietary components.

The Brompton isn't the only folding bike - Bike Friday, Tern, and Dahon are a few of the other folding bike manufacturers.

feijai prefers his Bike Friday Tikit to the Brompton. When I rode the tikit, I have to admit it felt more like a full size bike than the Brompton.

I like the Brompton because it has personality.

I like the compact and quick fold.

I like how it rides.

I like that it comes in a variety of colors, and that it is highly customizable.

If you happen to be in the Washington, DC area, the US Brompton Championship is this weekend! I had registered to participate, but I'm out of town this weekend.

The festivities kick off with a party at the UK Embassy tomorrow evening. Sunday is race day, with great fun and activities tomorrow through Sunday.

Not sure how it will go down here, but take a look at the video of the 2012 and 2013 Swiss Brompton Championship -

And that's all I have to say about that.
    -m

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Not sure where else they might have something like this, but I came across Brompton Dock in the UK. I may be going to the UK next month, and for 5 GBP per day, you can rent a Brompton. That way, I don't have to travel with mine. But it's also a great way to do an extended test rdie before you buy a Brompton.
    That's looks interesting Maverick. I see there's one in Oxford, we're moving very close to there.....I will investigate further tomorrow - thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    When I bought it we were renting a house with a nice, secure garage. When we moved to where we are now though, we got a garden but no secure storage and a clause in our lease specifically saying no bikes to be stored in the house :/
    Now the place that we're, hopefully, moving to within the next month, is a flat, no garden and at the top of four flights of stairs. But, if there's no clause in the leasing agreement about storing a bike in the flat, then a Brompton could very well be on the cards!! .... HTH
    I know I said I wouldn't say any more about the Brompton, but I feel compelled to mention that there is a bag that holds the Brompton itself (we really need a Tom Bihn edition of this, made out of 400d Dyneema ripstop nylon, by the way!). You cover the folded Brompton with this bag, and it no longer looks like a bike. It looks like a big bag, which you can bring into a dining establishment, or any other place that would not allow full size bikes.

There is also a hard travel case. Unfortunately, it's a little too big to be carried on. But you can check it in. People have traveled all over the world with their Bromptons. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea - that's why renting a Brompton for 5 GBP/day sounds just fantastic!
    -m

I had a bag, but, the neighbours are also our landlords so they probably would've sussed me out eventually

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Matching DLBP with bike!!!!
    Looking good there, maverick!
    Arctic blue loves French blue!

I guess that would fit better if I had a Steel Daylight Backpack!

(Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel).

Nah - it works just fine!

Arctic blue loves French blue!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0